2 of 2
Yet another fabricated Holocaust story:
Posted: 30 December 2008 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

Thank you, LaMa.  I was beginning to think I might be growing a tad. . . cynical.  shock 

I read news on CNN, BBC and NYTimes on-line every day almost all day long.

If there has been a rash of fabricated Holocaust stories lately—enough to warrant “yet another”—I’ve somehow managed to keep up on all the rest of the news and miss all but 2 of these.  (I discount the ones that are mentioned in these stories since they’re being reported as background to the main story.)

Now if you post a story about a severed foot washing ashore, you could say “yet another” of those stories.  A second story on a very thinly-connected theme would simply be “another”.

For that matter, if he’d said something about yet another faked memoir, my alarms probably wouldn’t have gone off.

I would put the “hiding with wolves” story in the category of stories about people living with wolves (especially children).  After all, the outrageous part of that story is the living with wolves.  (Also, I checked, and the debunking of the Misha story broke nearly a year ago.)  In this recent one—the romantic love story—the two having met in the concentration camp pretty much IS the story.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 30 December 2008 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

Yes so now you know… Well we all make mistakes but of course it is yet another fabricated story. but i guess the curse of oprah lives on. (Wherein every time a person tells a touching inspiring story like this it ends up fake)

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 31 December 2008 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-05-20
silver caliber magnum - 31 December 2008 03:54 AM

Yes so now you know… Well we all make mistakes but of course it is yet another fabricated story.

As I just said, I’d have no problem with that wording.  It’s the “yet another fabricated Holocaust story” that makes me wonder.

Wherein every time a person tells a touching inspiring story like this it ends up fake

Every time?  Sounds like a bit of hyperbole. 

I’m sure at least one inspirational true story was in fact true.  I can think of two off the top of my head. How about Brian’s Song?  How about Death Be Not Proud (by John Gunther)?

Signature 

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 31 December 2008 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26043
Joined  2004-11-08

You know, you might just be analyzing this into absurdium.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 31 December 2008 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Charybdis - 31 December 2008 04:07 PM

You know, you might just be analyzing this into absurdium.

On this website?  Never would anybody do such a thing!  Never!!

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 31 December 2008 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-05-20

Is absurdium one of those new unstable elements?

If I posted a report on, say, Blagojevich scandal with the thread title “Yet another Eastern European ethnic politician busted for corruption” but offer no other comment, you wouldn’t be even a bit suspicious of my motives?

Signature 

Posted: 31 December 2008 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
JoeDaJuggler - 31 December 2008 06:22 PM

Is absurdium one of those new unstable elements?

About as unstable as they get.  I think the only ones more unstable are nutterium and conspiracium.

If I posted a report on, say, Blagojevich scandal with the thread title “Yet another Eastern European ethnic politician busted for corruption” but offer no other comment, you wouldn’t be even a bit suspicious of my motives?

So you’re suggesting that grouping together falsified stories about an event is comparable to grouping together criminals by ethnicity?

He titled this topic in a way that indicated that this was about somebody making up a story about the Holocaust, and that this is not the first.  Which is exactly true.  As with any such large-scale dramatic historical event, there have been plenty of people who have made up stories about it.  Stalin has not said anything discriminating against anybody, he hasn’t said anything regarding the Holocaust overall. . .he just said that this was another story that somebody made up.  It’s not really all that different from the title that Alex gave the same story when he covered it on the Main Page.  There has been absolutely no sign at all that there is any deeper meaning behind Stalin’s topic here.  The topic is perfectly in keeping with the nature of this website, and the title is fully descriptive of what the topic is about.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 31 December 2008 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-05-20
Accipiter - 31 December 2008 08:29 PM

So you’re suggesting that grouping together falsified stories about an event is comparable to grouping together criminals by ethnicity?

No.  I even already mentioned that I would have had no problem with “yet another falsified memoir”.  That’s not what the thread title says.

He titled this topic in a way that indicated that this was about somebody making up a story about the Holocaust, and that this is not the first. Which is exactly true.

Not exactly.  As I mentioned, if that were the case, simply “Another falsified Holocaust story” would be enough.  The “yet another” suggest that this is not the first or second such story.  And the “Holocaust” part separates this grouping from all falsified stories like the one that got Oprah in trouble.

Couple that with recent posts on this forum by Holocaust deniers, and my questions are reasonable.  I did not accuse him of being a Holocaust denier, but rather asked him to clarify what seems like loaded language in the thread title.

I can’t win today!  On another forum, I’m being accused of being a Holocaust denier myself because I object (and find it ironic) when critics of Israel’s policies wrt the Palestinians are called “anti-semitic”.

Signature 

2 of 2