1 of 2
Yet another fabricated Holocaust story:
Posted: 28 December 2008 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-12-28

The original is here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081228/ap_on_en_ot/books_holocaust_memoir

“Herman Rosenblat and his wife are the most gentle, loving, beautiful people,” literary agent Andrea Hurst said Sunday, anguishing over why she, and so many others, were taken by Rosenblat’s story of love born on opposite sides of a barbed-wire fence at a concentration camp.

“I question why I never questioned it. I believed it; it was an incredible, hope-filled story.”

On Saturday, Berkley Books canceled Rosenblat’s memoir, “Angel at the Fence.” Rosenblat acknowledged that he and his wife did not meet, as they had said for years, at a sub-camp of Buchenwald, where she allegedly sneaked him apples and bread. The book was supposed to come out in February.

Rosenblat, 79, has been married to the former Roma Radzicky for 50 years, since meeting her on a blind date in New York. In a statement issued Saturday through his agent, he described himself as an advocate of love and tolerance who falsified his past to better spread his message.

“I wanted to bring happiness to people,” said Rosenblat, who now lives in the Miami area. “I brought hope to a lot of people. My motivation was to make good in this world.”

Rosenblat’s believers included not only his agent and his publisher, but Oprah Winfrey, film producers, journalists, family members and strangers who ignored, or didn’t know about, the warnings from scholars that his story didn’t make sense.

Other Holocaust memoirists have devised greater fantasies. Misha Defonseca, author of “Misha: A Memoire of the Holocaust Years,” pretended she was a Jewish girl who lived with wolves during the war, when she was actually a non-Jew who lived, without wolves, in Belgium.

Historical records prove Rosenblat was indeed at Buchenwald and other camps.

“How sad that he felt he had to embellish a life of surviving the Holocaust and of being married for half a century,” said Holocaust scholar Michael Berenbaum.

The damage is broad. Publishing, the most trusting of industries, has again been burned by a memoir that fact-checking might have prevented. Berkley is an imprint of Penguin Group (USA), which in March pulled Margaret B. Jones’ “Love and Consequences” after the author acknowledged she had invented her story of gang life in Los Angeles. Winfrey fell, as she did with James Frey, for a narrative of suffering and redemption better suited for television than for history.

The damage is deep. Scholars and other skeptics as well as fellow survivors fear that Rosenblat’s fabrications will only encourage doubts about the Holocaust.

“I am very worried because many of us speak to thousands of student each year,” says Sidney Finkel, a longtime friend of Rosenblat’s and a fellow survivor. “We go before audiences. We tell them a story and now some people will question what I experienced.”

“This was not Holocaust education but miseducation,” Ken Waltzer, director of Jewish Studies at Michigan State University, said in a statement.

“Holocaust experience is not heartwarming, it is heart rending. All this shows something about the broad unwillingness in our culture to confront the difficult knowledge of the Holocaust,” Waltzer said. “All the more important then to have real memoirs that tell of real experience in the camps.”

Among the fooled, at least the partially fooled, was Berenbaum, former director of the United States Holocaust Research Institute at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington. Berenbaum had been asked to read the manuscript by film producer Harris Salomon, who still plans an adaptation of the book.

Berenbaum’s tentative support

Image Attachments
Herman and Roma Rosenblat.jpg

Posted: 28 December 2008 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

Well welcome stalin any chance you be russian? Anyways there is nothing wrong with this unless you make it a historical fiction but it really is a sad tale

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 28 December 2008 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

Stalin, are you a Holocaust denier?  Have we seen you here before under other names?

What’s with “yet another”?  Have there been a rash of fabricated Holocaust stories?

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 28 December 2008 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26368
Joined  2004-11-29

Joe, please don’t make assumptions about new posters.  Nowhere does Stalin advertise that he’s a Holocaust denier.  In fact, when I first started reading his post, I was tempted to actually move it to the News section of the forum.

Stalin could be referring to this about a fictional Holocaust memoir as being the first (or at least most recent on this site) of Holocaust stories.

I’ve also spotted that the story that Stalin’s linked to has also appeared on Snopes.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 29 December 2008 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
JoeDaJuggler - 29 December 2008 04:40 AM

What’s with “yet another”?  Have there been a rash of fabricated Holocaust stories?

Yes, actually, there have.  One was mentioned in the article, in fact.

At least in this case the person actually was a survivor of one of the camps, as opposed to some of the others who weren’t even anywhere near them.  Still, this is going to do nothing but add fuel to the people who do deny the whole thing.  I wonder why he didn’t think that meeting his wife on a blind date and hitting it off was romantic enough?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 29 December 2008 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
Smerk - 29 December 2008 04:51 AM

Joe, please don’t make assumptions about new posters.  Nowhere does Stalin advertise that he’s a Holocaust denier.  In fact, when I first started reading his post, I was tempted to actually move it to the News section of the forum.

Stalin could be referring to this about a fictional Holocaust memoir as being the first (or at least most recent on this site) of Holocaust stories.

I’ve also spotted that the story that Stalin’s linked to has also appeared on Snopes.

I’ve seen new posters bashed for “necroposting”. One new guy left because he dared compare himself to Gary Larson and got verbally pummeled for it.  (His post wasn’t very interesting to me personally, but it wasn’t offensive or mean spirited)  The fact is a lot of these people Google something, and we come up.  Maybe it’s an old post and they have something to say and don’t look at the date (or God forbid, they don’t care about the date.)  Maybe they start a new thread.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 29 December 2008 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

It’s the “yet another” in the thread title that got me thinking that way.  Also, the fabricated parts of this story wasn’t the Holocaust.

The rest of Stalin’s post, if I’m reading it correctly,  was just a quoted news story (which I’d already read about in the news) without quote tags.

Smerk, I wasn’t making any assumptions.  That’s why I asked straight up.  I hate to have a conversation with a denier who doesn’t come out and make their denial.  (Yes, I’ve done that before.)  It’s like talking to a 9-11 Conspiracy Theorist.  They’ll make leading questions but seldom come out and say what they really think happened. 

Acci, a rash of stories is two?  Have there been more?

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 29 December 2008 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-23

Well… Yes the girl who claims to have lived with wolves in WW2 hiding and yeah other crazy stories

Signature 

GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.

Posted: 29 December 2008 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
JoeDaJuggler - 29 December 2008 02:40 PM

Acci, a rash of stories is two?  Have there been more?

Yep, there have been more reported in the news lately.  You just know that something like the Holocaust is going to be the sort of thing that will attract all sorts of fakers and con-artists and the like, so there’s always been people pretending to have gone through it or through certain events in it that didn’t happen.  I think they’ve been in the news more lately due to the relatively high-profile case with that woman who wrote the book about being raised by wolves and all that.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 29 December 2008 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
JoeDaJuggler - 29 December 2008 02:40 PM

It’s the “yet another” in the thread title that got me thinking that way.  Also, the fabricated parts of this story wasn’t the Holocaust.

The rest of Stalin’s post, if I’m reading it correctly,  was just a quoted news story (which I’d already read about in the news) without quote tags.

Smerk, I wasn’t making any assumptions.  That’s why I asked straight up.  I hate to have a conversation with a denier who doesn’t come out and make their denial.  (Yes, I’ve done that before.)  It’s like talking to a 9-11 Conspiracy Theorist.  They’ll make leading questions but seldom come out and say what they really think happened.

I’m with JoeDaJuggler on this one. The title is suggestive, and knowing that the hoax-section has had its share of Holocaust deniers recently, I had the same suspicions as Joe has.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 30 December 2008 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

The title, his screen-name and the fact that this is his first post made me immediately suspicious, though his post itself was right on topic once I read it. It would be nice if he would come back to clear things up.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 30 December 2008 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-23

Yes But i think joe might have insulted him a bit but we must remember to read everything before we post, a mistake i made a lot of times

Signature 

GO HERE

1 of 2