1 of 3
Conspiracy theorists spot ‘timber plank’ on Mars
Posted: 04 December 2008 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

An image sent back from the Red Planet has revealed an object bearing an uncanny resemblance to a wooden log. It was captured by the Mars Rover near the Endurance Crater.

The find has excited conspiracy theorists on blogs and websites who claim it is evidence there are vast forests on Mars that have been kept from the public.

It is more likely to be a case of pareidolia - where a random stimulus is perceived as having significance, be it a symbol seen in a cloud or a face on a piece of toast.

Scientists theorize the phenomenon occurs because humans are hardwired to recognise familiar objects as a survival technique.

The unusual image was featured in a NASA press release in 2004, although the space agency made no mention of the timber-like object captured on the spacecraft’s 115th day on Mars.

But one website insists it is a leaked image that ‘could get someone killed.’ A writer from TheCrit.com said NASA’s claims Mars was a desert world were ‘lies’ and that ‘there are vast forests on Mars, ones that are kept from the public.’

They go on to speculate the ‘wood’ was brought to its present position by a flood of water that must have happened within 40 years ‘because the wood is intact.’

However, the ‘plank’ has the same shading and a similar linear pattern to the surrounding rock.

Sadly, there is no scientific evidence of any macroscopic plant life on Mars and the vista in the image is one of a vast and desolate desert.

However, NASA scientists have found water ice in the north polar region of Mars as well as alkaline soil - key ingredients to support life.

In these images there is a polygonal pattern on the ground similar in appearance to polygonal structures in icy ground in the arctic regions of Earth.

‘We have found what appears to be the requirements, the nutrients, to support life -  whether past, present or future,’ Sam Kounaves, lead analyst for the Phoenix spacecraft’s mission said.

President Bush announced his intention to support a manned mission to Mars back in 2004. A ready supply of water would be essential to the project.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1091223/Conspiracy-theorists-wood-trees-spot-timber-plank-Mars.html

Image Attachments
Woot02.jpg
 Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 04 December 2008 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

Conspiracy theory!  What do you mean?

Everyone knows that it’s a piece of timber from Noah’s Ark!

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 04 December 2008 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15031
Joined  2006-08-16

The find has excited conspiracy theorists on blogs and websites who claim it is evidence there are vast forests on Mars that have been kept from the public.

Yes.  Evidence of a vast forest on Mars.  Out in the open.  No where near a forest of any kind.  Yep.  I’m sure that’s what it is.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 04 December 2008 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

A leaked image that was given out in an official press release four years ago.  Yeah.

And it’s a good thing that NASA is keeping us from knowing about all those trees on Mars.  Think of all the horrible things that would happen if the average person knew about them!!!

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 04 December 2008 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15031
Joined  2006-08-16
Accipiter - 05 December 2008 02:51 AM

And it’s a good thing that NASA is keeping us from knowing about all those trees on Mars.  Think of all the horrible things that would happen if the average person knew about them!!!

There would be a huge clamoring of people trying to get to Mars so they could build boats out of the wood, sail around on the oceans of water and eventually make it around to the Face so they could proclaim once and for all that there really is a face on Mars?

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 05 December 2008 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-02-22

I like how they just talk about the plank like it’s no big deal. I mean how many species of trees here on Earth grow planks? Wood yes, but in form of planks? So the real question of significance is not whether or not there are forests, trees, wood or water on Mars but instead… are these carpenters of Mars the missing Holy Grail we’ve all been searching for for so long? I mean, what better place to hide the blood lineage of Jesus than on Mars???

smirk

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

Posted: 05 December 2008 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Sure there’s plenty of carpenters on Mars! I think one of them is named ‘John’?

*ducks thrown tomatos*

Seriously, though… gotta love the lengths Hoagland and fellow-minded tinfoil-hatters will go to to convince themselves that there is evidence where none exists.

The one I still get a giggle about was the moon photo artifacts that showed a ‘robot head’.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 05 December 2008 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2005-11-27

That’s just one of those Mars Bars.

Signature 

Always remember, “Boss is just double SOB backwards”.

Posted: 05 December 2008 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-05-20
Mark-N-Isa - 05 December 2008 05:28 AM

? I mean, what better place to hide the blood lineage of Jesus than on Mars???

Now that’s a rood suggestion.

I’m telling you, Noah’s Ark was an interplanetary craft.

Pfft!  Forests on Mars!  You people expect me to believe that?

Signature 

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 05 December 2008 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

the aliens are becoming smart they have created wood with no trees!

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 06 December 2008 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-05-20

See the interplanetary Ark was just one of a fleet.  (Seriously, it makes no sense to claim you could fit two of every kind of animal on a single vessel!)  Its propulsion system worked by orgone energy, solar system ley lines and. . . .um. . . .“quantum”.

It carried a lot of the animals we no longer find on Earth.

Like, you know, Bigfoot.

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2008 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

After reading all your responses I can say we all agree it

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

1 of 3