1 of 2
‘Second Life’ affair ends in divorce
Posted: 14 November 2008 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  476
Joined  2008-09-11

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/11/14/second.life.divorce/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

LONDON, England (CNN)—A British couple who married in a lavish Second Life wedding ceremony are to divorce after one of them had an alleged “affair” in the online world.

Second Life users can interact and form relationships with other players’ avatars.

Amy Taylor, 28, said she had caught husband David Pollard, 40, having sex with an animated woman. The couple, who met in an Internet chatroom in 2003, are now separated.

“I went mad—I was so hurt. I just couldn’t believe what he’d done,” Taylor told the Western Morning News. “It may have started online, but it existed entirely in the real world and it hurts just as much now it is over.”

Second Life allows users to create alter egos known as “avatars” and interact with other players, forming relationships, holding down jobs and trading products and services for a virtual currency convertible into real life dollars. iReport.com: Share your stories from Second Life

Taylor said she had caught Pollard’s avatar having sex with a virtual prostitute: “I looked at the computer screen and could see his character having sex with a female character. It’s cheating as far as I’m concerned.”

The couple’s real-life wedding in 2005 was eclipsed by a fairy tale ceremony held within Second Life.

But Taylor told the Western Morning News she had subsequently hired an online private detective to track his activities: “He never did anything in real life, but I had my suspicions about what he was doing in Second Life.” iReport.com: Anger in a virtual world

Pollard admitted having an online relationship with a “girl in America” but denied wrongdoing. “We weren’t even having cyber sex or anything like that, we were just chatting and hanging out together,” he told the Western Morning News.

Taylor is now in a new relationship with a man she met in the online roleplaying game World of Warcraft.

Signature 

To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge.  -copernicus

Posted: 14 November 2008 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

And of her next divorce:  “My husband turned out to be a complete troll!”

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 14 November 2008 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  476
Joined  2008-09-11

I’m thinking that when this divorce went to trial, the judge laughed his butt off, because the husband didn’t technically cheat on the wife, a 2 dimensional representation of the husband did.  (Unless emotional cheating is grounds for a divorce)

Signature 

To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge.  -copernicus

Posted: 14 November 2008 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8458
Joined  2006-02-28

Some states you do not need “grounds” for divorce other than the breakdown of the relationship.

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 16 November 2008 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

Even in those states I can only assume her unbelievably stupid reason for the divorce will affect what she gets. Hopefully nothing.

Honest to God, it’s Second Life. This story made my soul leave my body and nip down the pub while I wept at what this says about humanity…

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 16 November 2008 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

How do these personal stories even make it to the news stations?

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 16 November 2008 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

Slow News Day.

Plus, it’s basic sensationalism. Here is a new and strange thing, with people doing strange things. Let us hold it up to the public eye and let them say ‘gee whiz, those folks sure are strange!’.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 16 November 2008 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Razela - 16 November 2008 10:22 PM

How do these personal stories even make it to the news stations?

Probably they have some news office intern who has to sift through all the previous day’s court filings and the like, who then puts each file into a box marked “exciting breaking news”, “use this if there’s nothing better”, or “dull boring legal stuff”.  And at the end of the sorting if the “exciting breaking news” box doesn’t have enough in it, they then go to the next box in the series.

Or at least, that’s one possible theory.  My other theory involves evil hamsters.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 November 2008 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23

I think the job of finding filler stories (for when, you know, the real stories don’t fill the paper) goes to the work placement kid. They do that before writing the horoscopes and making the tea.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 17 November 2008 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Renquist - 17 November 2008 07:54 PM

I think the job of finding filler stories (for when, you know, the real stories don’t fill the paper) goes to the work placement kid. They do that before writing the horoscopes and making the tea.

But not while writing the horoscopes and making the tea, or else disaster ensues.

“Capricorn:  Jupiter is in the ascendant.  This means you should not make any major decisions today.  You will be divorced due to an alleged online affair, and will then be submerged in boiling water to steep for three or four minutes and served with cream and sugar.”

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2008 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Accipiter - 17 November 2008 08:01 PM
Renquist - 17 November 2008 07:54 PM

But not while writing the horoscopes and making the tea, or else disaster ensues.

“Capricorn:  Jupiter is in the ascendant.  This means you should not make any major decisions today.  You will be divorced due to an alleged online affair, and will then be submerged in boiling water to steep for three or four minutes and served with cream and sugar.”

What utter carnage would ensue. Imagine the insanity!

I mean, putting cream in tea. Honestly. The thin end of the wedge. The end of civilisation as we know it.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 17 November 2008 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9104
Joined  2008-03-02

*Raises hand…*

Um…I put cream in my tea…

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

1 of 2