1 of 2
UPDATED: 7 nov 11; Here we go again: Sixth severed foot washes up on B.C. shore
Posted: 13 November 2008 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

What appears to be the sixth human foot in a running shoe to wash ashore on B.C.‘s south coast in 15 months was found Tuesday by Diane Johnston, the wife of former Richmond MLA Ken Johnston.

Johnston was out walking the couple’s three dogs when she first spotted the shoe.

The running shoe - a left-foot New Balance sneaker - raises the possibility that it might be a match to a right-foot New Balance shoe that was found on nearby Kirkland Island on May 22 by the island’s caretaker.

DNA testing revealed that the foot in that shoe belonged to a female.

Diane Johnston said she hopes the find will help determine the identity of the victim so that her family might find some solace from having even just a fragment of the body recovered.

“I feel a great deal of empathy for a family in that situation,” she said.

In the summer of 1989, the couple’s six-year-old son, Adam, drowned at Crescent Beach while with his grandparents and two older siblings.

The boy had vanished during the outing and it took the police more than a day to recover his body, which was spotted from a helicopter a kilometre from shore.

She doesn’t need to describe the agony the family endured waiting for him to be found.

“My son would be 26 now so, yes, it did occur to both of us how important it is to find something, even just a small part of someone’s loved one,” she said.

The running shoe was found in the south arm of the Fraser River at the foot of Garden City Road, jammed between two logs close to the beach.

“Investigators will be determining whether the shoes are linked,” RCMP media officer Const. Annie Linteau said Wednesday in reference to the Kirkland Island shoe.

All the other feet washed ashore inside sneakers were found to be from males.

Despite attempts at DNA matching, only one of the feet has so far been identified as belonging to any missing person or accident victim by the RCMP or the BC Coroners Service. It belonged to a depressed man who went missing in 2007, RCMP said in July. They did not identify which of the five feet found to that point it was.

However, the RCMP reacted cautiously to the new find because two hoaxes have been perpetrated since the fifth foot was discovered June 16 when a couple walking on Westham Island in Delta saw a size 11 Nike shoe floating in the Fraser River.

DNA testing confirmed that the foot inside that shoe belonged to the same man as a right Nike shoe found Feb. 2 on Valdes Island, across Georgia Strait.

Linteau said the RCMP major crimes section, which has investigated the previous five finds, will be involved in this one, too.

“Obviously due to the fact a hoax was perpetrated previously, and then extensively reported, we want to proceed cautiously until we know exactly what we are dealing with,” she said.

The number of disarticulated feet being found on B.C. beaches resulted in widespread media interest with many news outlets around the world reporting the story.

All the publicity and public speculation led to the first hoax June 18, when someone stuffed an animal paw into a sock and placed it inside a running shoe and left it on a beach near Campbell River. Then in September, someone placed a plastic foot in a runner on an east Vancouver beach.

None of the five previous feet showed signs that foul play was involved, said Linteau. All appeared to have separated from a body by natural processes.

Since the feet began turning up, experts such as U.S. oceanographer Curtis Ebbesmeyer, whose expertise is floating objects, said it was to be expected that running shoes - given their buoyancy - would float with the remains of feet still in them once the feet had become detached from bodies during the decomposition process.

The running shoe found Tuesday was first spotted by Diane Johnston while she was walking the couple’s three dogs at about 11 a.m.

“She could see it was a running shoe and it was sitting on a rock about 10 feet from the beach, but the tide was in and she had the dogs with her and was unable to reach it,” her husband said.

Johnston said the pair were walking the dogs in the same spot at about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday.

“She said, ‘Let’s go and see if the shoe is still there.’ Now it was between two logs, so she went down the bank and threw it up to me. I flipped it over and could see a sock and other material inside I couldn’t identify,” said Johnston, a former Richmond council member who is again seeking a council seat in Saturday’s municipal election.

From previous media coverage, the pair knew that one of the shoes that had been found was made by New Balance.

“It was one of the things that caused us to look closely at it,” Johnston said.

As neither had a cell phone to call the police, Johnston said his first idea was to place the shoe in a plastic bag and take it to the Richmond detachment, but he decided to leave it where it was.

While Diane stayed with the running shoe, Johnston went looking for someone in the area with a cellphone so he could call 911.

Richmond RCMP officers arrived and removed the shoe.

Source

FOR UPDATE LOOK BELOW

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 13 November 2008 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

From the same source:

The feet found so far:

. Foot No. 1 was found Aug. 20, 2007 on Jedediah Island. It was a male’s right foot in a Campus brand sneaker, size 12. It was found by a father and his 12-year-old daughter cruising on their boat. The type of shoe was produced in 2003 and sold primarily in India.

. Foot No. 2 was found August 26, 2007 on Gabriola Island. It was a male’s right foot in a Reebok sneaker, size 12. It was found by a Gabriola resident walking along a trail. The shoe was produced in 2004 and distributed primarily in North America.

. Foot No. 3 was found Feb. 2 on Valdes Island. It was a male right foot in a Nike sneaker, size 11. It was found by two forestry workers. This Nike shoe model was sold only in Canada and the U.S. from Feb. 1 to June 30, 2003. DNA testing has indicated it came from the same man as the foot No. 5, which was found across the Strait of Georgia on Westham Island, on June 16.

. Foot No. 4 was found May 22, 2008 on Kirkland Island. It was a female’s right foot in a New Balance sneaker, size 7. It was found by the island’s caretaker on a walk around the shoreline. DNA testing has identified it as the only female foot found so far. This type of New Balance shoe was produced in June 1999 and distributed through major retail stores.

. Foot No. 5 was found June 16 on Westham Island. It was a male’s left foot in a Nike sneaker, size 11. The fifth foot was found by a couple out walking their dog. They saw the shoe floating in the water, pulled it ashore and called police. DNA testing has confirmed it came from the same man as the foot found on Valdes Island on Feb. 2, 2008.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 13 November 2008 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

Before long we’ll be ankle deep in severed feet.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 14 November 2008 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

In case anyone is interested, here’s the original thread. smile

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 14 November 2008 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

It’s probably just D.J. working on his re-animation projects for Boo again. hmmm

I think he’s bucking for a promotion. cheese

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 28 August 2010 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

I’m going to have to check how you have have severed feet wash up and not have foul play suspected.

But they’re up to 9 feet now,and the latest has only been in the water 2 months. I smell a CSI-special/made for TV movie coming on when all of this is solved.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/08/27/bc-washington-foot-whidbey.html

Human foot found on West Coast beach

A human foot has been found washed up on a beach in Washington state, police say.

The foot was found Friday by a person walking on Whidbey Island, about 100 kilometres south of Vancouver, according to a release from Det. Ed Wallace of the Island County Sheriff’s Office.

Based on the size of the foot, Wallace said it appears to belong to a juvenile female.

It’s believed to have been in the water for less than two months and was not clad in a shoe or a sock.

Missing person’s reports are being checked and the foot’s DNA is being examined, Wallace said.

It is the ninth foot found in the Georgia Strait area since August 2007.

Two have been identified, but foul play is not suspected in either case.

Posted: 15 December 2010 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

Someone out there has a serious foot fetish.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/12/14/bc-foot-tacoma.html

Small human foot washes ashore on West Coast
Authorities are seeking more information about another small human foot that has washed ashore in Washington state.

The right foot was still inside a boy’s size 6 “OzArk Trail” hiking boot, and likely belonged to a juvenile or small adult, police spokesman Mark Fulghum said Tuesday in Tacoma, about 40 kilometres south of Seattle and 225 kilometres south of Vancouver.

Fulghum said the boots were sold in Wal-mart stores from 2004 to 2005.

The foot, found early last week, is believed to have floated in from either the Puyallup River or Puget Sound. It’s the second human foot to wash ashore in Washington state in four months.

In late August, a right foot believed to be that of a woman or child washed up on a beach in Whidbey Island, about 100 kilometres south of Vancouver.

It’s not yet known if the cases are linked or if they have any connection to cases in B.C., where seven feet have washed ashore in the past four years, Fulghum said.

Posted: 25 May 2011 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10

Latest news:
Severed feet found on two B.C. islands came from Surrey man.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 28 May 2011 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
AussieBruce - 28 August 2010 02:29 PM

But they’re up to 9 feet now,and the latest has only been in the water 2 months. I smell a CSI-special/made for TV movie coming on when all of this is solved.

Yep, I wondered where they came up with this crazy episode.  Now I know.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 28 May 2011 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

But they

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 25 October 2011 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

UPDATE:

Mystery of some of the missing feet washed ashore in Canada solved

Two of the mysterious 12 feet that have washed ashore near Vancouver recently have been identified as belonging to a missing Canadian woman.

The woman, whose name was withheld at the request of her family, jumped to her death from the Pattullo Bridge in New Westminster, B.C., in April 2004, according to the Coroners Service.

The woman’s right foot was found in May 2008, and the left was in November 2008, at two different points in the Fraser River near Richmond, B.C.  The feet, which police said detached naturally from the body over time, were in New Balance running shoes.

The Coroners Service identified the woman through a postmortem investigation and DNA analysis, according to a statement.

Eleven feet in all have washed ashore on the Northwestern coast since 2007, when the phenomenon began. Canadian authorities have said that the eight feet in their province are most likely the result of suicide bridge-jumpers in the area’s many water-ways. After being submerged in water and strong currents, bodies begin to deteriorate, leading to the separation of foot from leg.

Police say the buoyant, lightweight sneakers found on most of the feet account for the recent trend: as the feet separate from the body, the sneakers carry them up to the surface, where they then wash ashore. Heavier sneakers and shoes sink to the bottom.

The BC Coroners Service has now positively identified six of the feet as belonging to four individuals.

Source

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 08 November 2011 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

UPDATE

A twelfth foot has been found on the B.C. shore

The B.C. Coroners Service is investigating the discovery of another foot over the weekend.

The disembodied foot inside a men’s size 12 black Cougar brand hiking boot was found on the shore of Sasamat Lake in Port Moody, B.C., officials said.

B.C. Coroners Service officials said the human remains belong to a male adult and there is no indication of foul play.

Eight feet belonging to six different people were discovered along the B.C. coast between August 2007 and August 2011. Six of the feet have since been identified as belonging to four people. The remaining two appear to belong to two men whose identities are yet to be determined.

Source

Signature 

Trust me.

1 of 2