Not a bad one. A few boxes in the storage room, but it was enough. The entire contents of the storage room - several spare sets of sheets and pillows, as well as boxes of various sundries like laundry detergent, pens, and a good stack of Gideon’s best - were smoke and water damaged. Additionally, the entire second floor was be-smoked, and the carpet needs to be replaced (smoke, water, glass from broken windows, etc), so nobody can stay there.
I had a boss who never took vacation. She was a workaholic.
We built a new tower on the hotel that took the room count from 244 to 777. A few months after it was open and everything had settled down she was “forced” to take her vacation by her boss. Last thing she said me to and the other supervisor as she walked out the door: “Don’t burn the hotel down.”
Yep. That evening we had a suicidal guy try to burn himself to death in his bed. Luckily the comforter was extremely fire resistant. We just ended up with a lot of smoke.
And, luckily, it was at a casino/hotel when I lived in Vegas, so I was just a little peon in the grand scheme of things and didn’t have to deal much with the aftermath. My boss was back that night for it, but otherwise enjoyed her vacation time off.
That evening we had a suicidal guy try to burn himself to death in his bed.
That’s something that always annoyed me. Bad enough that you’ve decided to kill yourself for what you’d probably decide later on were silly reasons, but when you go and do it in such a way as to cause huge inconvenience for total strangers as well. . .
Update: Well, the second floor is rentable again, though the carpet is an ugly shade of brown. It’s not even a shade of brown that’s trying to *be* something.. no, it’s just ‘brown’. Yay. The storage area is still off-limits, and likely to be so for a while.