1 of 1
Fears ‘shy’ crocodile has taken camper
Posted: 30 September 2008 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

Never smile at a crocodile… so they say.

This really sound like a B grade movie script doesnt it. Well, the opening scene to establish the plot before the real characters of the movie(the stereotype teenagers) head off on thier camping trip before being taken one by one.

Yes, there were crocodile slide marks on the shore, and his video camera was lying nearby….. what will the footage reveal!!!

PS: Everything is deadly in Australia, including the sheep(I’m just waiting for the right sheep story).

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24425038-421,00.html

Fears ‘shy’ crocodile has taken camper

AUTHORITIES fear a normally “shy” 5.5m crocodile named Charlie may have snatched a holidaymaker from a riverside campsite in North Queensland.

Arthur Booker, 62, and his wife, from Logan, south of Brisbane, were on a two-day holiday at the Endeavour River Escape campsite at Cooktown, 340km north of Cairns.

Mr Booker went to check a craypot about 8.30am (AEST) this morning but never returned.

When his wife went to the spot, she found a snapped rope, large crocodile slide marks and a new video recorder owned by her husband, police said.

Posted: 30 September 2008 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

so, it doesn’t matter were you set up camp, your likely to be taken by….........something?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 30 September 2008 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15034
Joined  2006-08-16
AussieBruce - 30 September 2008 11:13 AM

PS: Everything is deadly in Australia, including the sheep(I’m just waiting for the right sheep story).

Here you go. wink  (Though it is set in New Zealand.  Sorry about that.  But the deadly sheep principle still stands!)

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 15 October 2008 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10732
Joined  2008-02-21

Looks like they ‘found’ him…

Australian police officers searching the outback for a missing British fisherman think they have found his remains inside a crocodile.

An estuarine crocodile

Calls for a cull of deadly saltwater crocodiles

The 15ft-long beast was found near the spot where Arthur Booker, 62, disappeared last month after he went to check crab pots while holidaying with his wife near Cooktown.

Queensland state police said forensic tests confirmed the remains inside the stomach were that of a human male.

They said more detailed DNA analysis was needed to confirm the remains are those of the Scottish-born Vietnam War veteran.

An X-ray of the crocodile had revealed a wedding ring in its stomach, according to local media.

Mr Booker’s wife raised the alarm when he failed to return from the trip. Police found some of his belongings on the river bank, close to crocodile marks.

The line securing the crab pots was frayed, rather than cut clean with a knife.

Local officials said two large crocodiles had been seen in the area.

The last person to be killed by a crocodile in Queensland was a fisherman who was dragged from a canoe at Lakefield National Park, not far from Mr Booker’s disappearance, in August 2005.

The latest incident sparked calls for a cull of saltwater crocodiles, which are a protected species under Australian law.

However, Bob Irwin, the father of ‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin, stressed there should be no revenge attacks.

“We have to remember that the crocodile is a vital part of the eco-system and it was behaving naturally,” he said.

SKY NEWS LINK

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 15 October 2008 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

I wonder if these animals are mostly isolated to this area (or other specific areas) and human recreation could be banned from those specific areas rather than killing this endangered species?

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 15 October 2008 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, if people keep on going down to the water and sit there looking like food, what do you expect the crocodiles to do?

hulitoons - 15 October 2008 10:15 AM

I wonder if these animals are mostly isolated to this area (or other specific areas) and human recreation could be banned from those specific areas rather than killing this endangered species?

They move around seasonally, though I think that once they get to the right general region for the season then they’ll tend to stick in one particular location for as long as there is plenty of food.  They tend to be very territorial, though, which means that they’ll constantly be fighting over the best spots and the losers of the fights will be forced to wander far from where they were.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 15 October 2008 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Then perhaps preservation, protection and prevention might mean that they’ll need to be fenced in?

BIG NOTE:  I don’t have a friendly trap big enough for one of these should one find its way into my house along with the mice and snake (which I’d gamble wouldn’t appease his appetite).  Besides, I’d just have to release him into the wild brush and I’m pretty sure he’d find his way into a neighbor’s house then….............

Signature 

Posted: 04 March 2014 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

So, in case you were still worried about crocodiles taking you, dont worry, the snakes are keeping their numbers down.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/03/snake-eats-crocodile-in-queensland-lake

1 of 1