1 of 1
CARTOONIST AND POET: Gary Larson
Posted: 17 July 2008 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-04-30

Reading about the work of cartoonist Gary Larson and how he works I could not help compare and contrast his modus operandi and my own with respect to writing prose and poetry. Larson draws inspiration from similar sources to my own: interests, experiences and memories.  He is sensitive about his readers and whether they understand his work.  And so is this the case with me and my literary opus.  I have one eye on my readers most of the time, but another on the world and all that is therein. Sometimes I shut one eye and open the other; at other times I open both eyes one to the incredible chaos in the woorld.

Both Larson and I like our work to speak for itself but, after years in classrooms explaining things to students, I am not bothered if I have to discuss my work.  This, though, I rarely have to do.  I

Signature 

married for 41 years, a teacher for 35 years and a Baha’i for 49 years. I have 3 books on the internet all available free of charge.

Posted: 17 July 2008 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

Whats the joke?

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 17 July 2008 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I don’t know why Gary Larson is so anal about making people take down his cartoons from their sites.  Funny, but he doesn’t seem quite as bothered by the fact that we pay (or at least I used to before I got smart) for the same cartoons over and over and over year after year in his calenders.  The same cartoons recycled for years.  I’ve paid for the same cartoon (or whover gave me the calendar for Christmas) so many times, I figure I own at least one!

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 17 July 2008 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2006-12-06

How can you compare yourself to the genius of Gary Larson?
Pedantic, self indulgent verbal masturbation, Mr. Price.

Signature 

“I have CDO. Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!”

Posted: 17 July 2008 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08
silver caliber magnum - 17 July 2008 10:01 AM

Whats the joke?

The fact that he’s comparing himself to Larsen is the joke, I think.  More sad than funny, really.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 05 August 2008 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-04-30

Pleased to see that my post “stirred the pot” of reaction: better than no reaction at all, as some thinkers often hypothesize. I shall return to this site with renewed enthusiasm.—See yas lateRon

Signature 

married for 41 years, a teacher for 35 years and a Baha’i for 49 years. I have 3 books on the internet all available free of charge.

Posted: 05 August 2008 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

So head-shaking and pity beats no reaction at all?  Are you so in need of validation that you relish people feeling sorry for you, Mr Price?

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 05 August 2008 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-04-30

I bow out to a man who has placed 25,000 posts at this site. And I congratulate you for your peristence.  You shall not see me at this thread any more—I wish you well in all your hoax work.-Ron Price, Tasmania

Signature 

1 of 1