1 of 1
Computer Techs Fight Texas Law Requiring A Private Eye’s License
Posted: 04 July 2008 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

A lawsuit is being filed to protect computer technicians, parents and anyone who searches for a computer virus from a new state law that could require them to obtain a private detective’s license.

According to high-tech sleuths the new state law requires them to secure a private detective’s license to retrieve data from a computer, analyze it and prepare a report for a client.

Full Story

More on this

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 04 July 2008 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

You’ve got to be kidding.  What are they thinking??

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 05 July 2008 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
gray - 04 July 2008 06:31 PM

What are they thinking??

Or more to the point, were they?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 06 July 2008 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

I think it’s more a case of ‘it looks good on paper’, but can be applied to reality in unpredictably absurd ways.

Ok, they want to protect people’s computer privacy. Fine, enact a law that says you have to have ‘X’ qualifications to do certain types of cybersluthing.. It later turns out that such things are done routinely by virus-checking software, or other legitimate purposes..

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 06 July 2008 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-14

It’s a real case of lawmakers being out of touch with the computer world and todays technological society.  I’m betting the people that drew up this law don’t even know how to turn a computer on.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 06 July 2008 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Sure they do.. you take it to dinner and a nice show, making sure that you get a few drinks into it.You then compliment it on its appearance, while gently caressing the case. after a while, you may progress to fiddling with its ports..

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 06 July 2008 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-14

I thought that only worked with interns and secretaries.

Signature 

My blog
My Website

Posted: 07 July 2008 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27
gray - 06 July 2008 02:26 PM

... don’t even know how to turn a computer on.

I bet they know their webcam.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

1 of 1