1 of 1
Term “Brainstorming” deemed too offensive…
Posted: 20 June 2008 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

News Link Here

Council bans term ‘brainstorming’ for ‘thought showers’ for fear of offending epilepticsBy Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 12:43 PM on 20th June 2008

The term ‘Brainstorming’ has been banned by a local council - in case it offends epileptics or the mentally ill.

Instead the council have sent hundreds of staff on training courses to teach them to adopt a new phrase - ‘thought showers’.

The new term will be used to describe quick-fire ideas sessions after bosses decided the old term may upset some people.

But leading charities representing those who may be insulted by ‘brainstorming’ have branded the move by Tunbridge Wells Borough Council in Kent as political correctness gone mad.
Margaret Thomas, of the National Society for Epilepsy, said: ‘Brainstorming is a clear and descriptive phrase, and alternatives such as “thought shower” or “blue sky thinking” are ambiguous to say the least.’

‘People with epilepsy are not so sensitive that anything with the word “brain” in it causes distress.

‘Any implication that the word “brainstorming” is offensive to people with epilepsy is taking political correctness too far.’

She added a recent survey conducted by the charity revealed 93 per cent of people with epilepsy did not find the term derogatory or offensive in any way.

The condition is a common disorder which causes unprovoked seizures, like a ‘storm’ of activity in the brain.

Richard Colwill, spokesman for mental health charity SANE, said: ‘Words that could be hurtful and stigmatising to those affected by mental illness should be avoided.

‘But while the intention may have been good in this case, the result certainly goes too far. We suspect few would be genuinely offended by the use of the word “brainstorming” in the context of council meetings.’

An insider at Tunbridge Wells Borough Council added staff have been reminded of the brainstorming ban in an internal memo.

He added: ‘No-one took it very seriously at first, but they’re certainly keen to wipe out the word once and for all.’

The term ‘brainstorming’ was coined in the 1940s by Alex Osborn, an American advertising executive.

It is used to describe a quick-fire meeting where everyone is urged to share their ideas on a particular subject - no matter how daft they may seem.

A spokesman at Tunbridge Wells Borough Council said: ‘We take diversity awareness very seriously. The majority of council staff have taken part in diversity awareness training and have been asked to use the term “thought showers”.

‘One of our key targets this year is to move from Level 1 to Level 2 of the Equality Standard for Local Government.

‘We have exceeded this and have achieved Level 3. We are only the third district council in the country to have made this leap in a single year

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 20 June 2008 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

Being the kind of sicko pervert that I am, the term ‘Thought Showers’ brings up bad images in my mind.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 20 June 2008 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

Me too. red face

Ah well.  Could you still call the ideas generated “golden”????? LOL

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 20 June 2008 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

Even I wasn’t going there with that one.  raspberry

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 20 June 2008 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

That might offend the people whose head sweats a lot when they think.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 20 June 2008 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

Political correctness at its finest.  Who in hell thinks up this stuff???

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 20 June 2008 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

That made me think about the headhunters…

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 20 June 2008 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

Brain storming shouldnt be that offensive itll only be offensive when they`res an epileptic around

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 22 June 2008 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2007-06-27

We don’t call them ‘brainstorming’, we more appropriately call them ‘skull sessions’...

....because not everyone who attend them have brains to speak of. :p

Signature 

And of course, with the birth of the artist came the inevitable afterbirth—the critic.

Posted: 22 June 2008 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

I wonder who brain fart might offend???

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 22 June 2008 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

I have to say this story, or the idea behind it, I heard about at least a year ago.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

1 of 1