1 of 2
Teacher Adam Hilliker is a jerk?
Posted: 10 June 2008 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-05-20

I did a quick search but didn’t see this one on here:

At least April 22, 1994 did fall on a Friday, so that part is legit.

Posted: 11 June 2008 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15030
Joined  2006-08-16

Um…okay?

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 11 June 2008 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I have seen this someplace before….
ETA:  Snopes has it as undetermined with some reasons why.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 11 June 2008 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

Another small part of the reason we now homeschool our daughter! LOL

Some of the “facts” the teachers try to teach are apparently just pulled out of thin air!  Yiles.

Don’t mind me.  My anti-establishment tendencies are showing….  cheese

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 11 June 2008 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-08-10

This is so true.
I watched as my girls got dumber and dumber each year. And I got many letters just like that one sent to me. Both my girls were smarter than most of the teachers, depending on the subject. And once they learned not to correct an adult they stopped growing intelectually. They just got tierd of getting into trouble for speaking out. And I got tired of them saying"but mom that’s not what the teacher said”
Now a-days you do not send a smart child to a public school to learn more. You only send them there because the state makes you. And once their brains have been dulled enough and turned to mush, you just hope they go off to a good college to grow and learn correctly.

Posted: 11 June 2008 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9103
Joined  2008-03-02

Hi Medusa, I’m DavePrime’s wife. 

The nice thing is that the state can’t actually make you send your kids to school, if you’re willing to homeschool them.  Montana has some of the easiest laws regarding that out there.  All we had to do was send a letter stating our intent to homeschool our daughter to the superintendent, along with a copy of her attendance records, immunization records, and birth certificate.  And she’s doing a LOT better now.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 11 June 2008 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

You just have to send a letter of intention in Florida.  For a while you had to prove you went to school for so many days, but they dropped that a few years ago.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 12 June 2008 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-04-14

I recall a history teacher I had in high school, who was apparently hired because he was also a basketball coach.  I scored dismally on most tests, until I showed him that I was indeed correct according to the book.  Students who took him at his word did just fine on the tests, only myself and one other student actually read the book!  I don’t think he still works in our school system!  smile

Signature 

You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.

Posted: 13 June 2008 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

I’ve had teachers like that…

There was my American History teacher, who decided that since it was an election year, we were to put all the other ‘history’ stuff on the back burner and closely monitor the electoral process. Daily updates, etc. I nearly failed that class because I ‘wasn’t watching enough election coverage’...

Then there was my Algebra II/Trig teacher.. Three years from retirement, and didn’t care anymore. His teaching style pretty much consisted of taking attendance and giving the assignment, which needed to be due the next day. The assignments were not checked. This was tested by me writing the answer to #5: ‘Fuzzy Wuzzy Was A Bear’. Further insult was the book we were learning from. It was written by five math teachers from around the county, as an effort to save textbook costs. They really should ahve sprung for a proofreader. The thing was undreadably dry, using an all-caps font, only black and green text, and they hadn’t had the money for a lot of diagrams. Things literally looked like this:

. . . . . . . _____
X = 3V417

Yes, they didn’t even bother spending money for proper mathematical symbols. Ask yourself: is that three times the square root of 417? No! It’s the cube root. You can tell because the three is green. Not that they ever tell you that’s what a green three means, or that they sometimes forget to make it green..

Worst was one at some college classes I was taking. It’s a bit hard to describe, but we were doing a draft of the inside of a cube that had three cylindrical holes, going through the faces. Was the first time I’d actually *argued* with a teacher. I was right, I *knew* I was right, and pparently I was the only one in five years to notice the problem. He wouldn’t accept that I was right, and finally one of the other teachers fired up the ‘solids modelling’ program. Create cube. Intersect three cylinders. Subtract. Intersect cube Subtract. Result: Identical to four decimal places what I had drawn…
to expose interior.
“Well.. er.. you wouldn’t want to draw it like that.. it would confuse whoever was making it.”
“More than making something that looks nothing like he finished product?”

Git.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 13 June 2008 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

LOL Too funny, Robin!

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 13 June 2008 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I managed to avoid any sort of organised education other than college classes, so I missed out on all those fun opportunities to watch teachers be strange.  The worst I ever had was an archaeology/anthropology professor who would make up words and give us tests where we had to come up with definitions of them (which he always said were wrong, no matter how well you could rationalise your definition), and who would spend one third of each class talking about how he couldn’t understand why none of his students ever passed his class and then the next third of the time complaining about his heart surgery and how famous he was around the world and how he didn’t deserve to have idiot students.  I stopped going to that class after mid-terms.

Compared to him, the calculus professor who started every sentence at a shout and ended it at an inaudible mutter, or the psychology professor who always came to class drunk and who was eventually dragged away by the police after parking his car before class upside-down in the middle of the street, or the Renaissance Venice history professor who was a die-hard hippy were all quite tolerable.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 June 2008 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I had a Biology teacher who would take off his toupe

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

1 of 2