2 of 2
Removing hoax articles from msbnews.net?
Posted: 07 June 2008 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15034
Joined  2006-08-16
Dr.pancakes - 07 June 2008 01:11 PM

Well, thanks for the help, I just hope that they are willing to remove it. I just need to make sure my brother doesn’t get in trouble, they would probably avoid pressing charges against me because it would probably be to much negative publicity for the few remaining days he is in school…

Well for the ISP, I used a internet cafe’ (I moved everything back a few days ago) so it really cannot be traced back to me, but hes still on the chopping block and I’m sure if I just abandon him I’ll be finding a new place to stay this summer.

1) Don’t assume that just because school is over in a few days that this will go away.  For you or your brother.

2) Make sure you save copies of all correspondence between you and the website.  If for whatever reason they refuse to remove it you can at least use that to hopefully get some leniency that you attempted to at least tried.  And it will give any school lawyers more traction for legally getting it removed from the site if it has to go that far.

3) I’m sure terms of service for the website includes rules against uploading false, libelous, slanderous and/or completely made-up stories.  Expect repercussions from the website, too.  Especially if the school goes after them for whatever reason.

4) Don’t assume that you are safe just because you posted in an internet cafe.  Your computer keeps all sorts of interesting information that can link you back to that internet cafe at the time and date of the posting.  And the internet cafe may very well have records linking you there, too.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 07 June 2008 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Dr.pancakes - 07 June 2008 01:11 PM

Well for the ISP, I used a internet cafe’ (I moved everything back a few days ago) so it really cannot be traced back to me, but hes still on the chopping block and I’m sure if I just abandon him I’ll be finding a new place to stay this summer.

And when they find it is an Internet Cafe, they just subpoena their records to find out who was using that machine at the time the story was posted. Plus, of course, your admission here that you posted the story, which will also have been logged and be traceable.

If you really thought you could get away with it, you wouldn’t be pissing in your pants like you are, would you?

Posted: 07 June 2008 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26384
Joined  2004-11-29

Well, it appears that the article’s now been removed.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

2 of 2