2 of 6
Run your car on water
Posted: 22 May 2008 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2008-04-11
MadCarlotta - 21 May 2008 04:09 PM

I think that was trains, but they used coal to make the steam, so…...

From: http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aacarssteama.htm

In 1769, the very first self-propelled road vehicle was a military tractor invented by French engineer and mechanic, Nicolas Joseph Cugnot (1725 - 1804). Cugnot used a steam engine to power his vehicle, built under his instructions at the Paris Arsenal by mechanic Brezin. It was used by the French Army to haul artillery at a whopping speed of 2 1/2 mph on only three wheels. The vehicle had to stop every ten to fifteen minutes to build up steam power. The steam engine and boiler were separate from the rest of the vehicle and placed in the front (see engraving above). The following year (1770), Cugnot built a steam-powered tricycle that carried four passengers.

In 1771, Cugnot drove one of his road vehicles into a stone wall, making Cugnot the first person to get into a motor vehicle accident. This was the beginning of bad luck for the inventor. After one of Cugnot’s patrons died and the other was exiled, the money for Cugnot’s road vehicle experiments ended.

Steam engines powered cars by burning fuel that heated water in a boiler, creating steam that expanded and pushed pistons that turned the crankshaft, which then turned the wheels.

Signature 

“My chief task has been to conquer fear” - Houdini

Posted: 22 May 2008 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
Magnoire La Chouette - 22 May 2008 12:49 PM
MadCarlotta - 21 May 2008 04:09 PM

I think that was trains, but they used coal to make the steam, so…...

From: http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aacarssteama.htm

Steam engines powered cars by burning fuel that heated water in a boiler, creating steam that expanded and pushed pistons that turned the crankshaft, which then turned the wheels.

Said fuel being coal or wood or whatever. .  .not water.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 24 May 2008 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-05-24

wonder how far your battery would get you…too bad paypal has no chargebacks

Signature 

sure

Posted: 24 May 2008 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Standard lead-acid battery? Not very far. Most electric cars that use them have about a dozen at least.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 24 May 2008 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

When your alternator fails most cars will go about 20 miles before they give up completely.  Mind you that is with the battery powering the ignition system.  If a single battery had to operate an electric motor too I would guess at not much more than about 5 or 6 miles.  It would depend on a lot of factors such as weight, efficiency of the motor, size of the battery, friction on the tires, etc etc.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 25 May 2008 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26
gray - 25 May 2008 12:17 AM

When your alternator fails most cars will go about 20 miles before they give up completely.  Mind you that is with the battery powering the ignition system.  If a single battery had to operate an electric motor too I would guess at not much more than about 5 or 6 miles.  It would depend on a lot of factors such as weight, efficiency of the motor, size of the battery, friction on the tires, etc etc.

The electric vehicle I built has 24 6V batteries at 220Ah each. That was over 600kg of lead acid batteries. It had a range of 100km.
It ran at 144V, and you need the higher voltage to minimise the I^2*R losses, ie the higher the current draw, the more you lose.
If you tried to run your car off just your starter battery(at 12V, and around 10kg), you’d go slower than an electric wheelchair and barely make it to the first street corner before your battery died.

Posted: 26 May 2008 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

I do like the way google has placed ads for this system on some of the other threads while on this thread it placed the ads for sites debunking the theory.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 11 June 2008 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-06-11

You guys obviously don’t know much about cars or chemistry. IT WORKS. The chemical formula for water is H2O. They separate it to HHO. H=Hydrogen=a combustable gas. A combustion engine gets its power from combustable gases combusting!! It makes perfect sense but you guys have your head too far up your asses to realize it.

Posted: 11 June 2008 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

And you apparently haven’t read the rest of this thread…

Robin Bobcat - 20 May 2008 02:00 PM

Translation:

Use the car’s battery to break the water into two Hydrogen and one Oxygen (aka HHO), via electolysis. This can be burned, converting back to water vapor.

The trick is, it’s a *wasteful* method.(...)

Charybdis - 20 May 2008 04:06 PM

Topic on main site, complete with much defending/debunking.

Basically it boils down to ‘yes you can run a car on hydrogen, but it’s far more expensive than running it on gasoline’.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 11 June 2008 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
HHO WORKS - 11 June 2008 09:17 PM

You guys obviously don’t know much about cars or chemistry. IT WORKS. The chemical formula for water is H2O. They separate it to HHO. H=Hydrogen=a combustable gas. A combustion engine gets its power from combustable gases combusting!! It makes perfect sense but you guys have your head too far up your asses to realize it.

I don’t think that anybody here has said that you can’t make combustable gas from water.  The problem is making enough combustable gas without resorting to complicated and costly and energy-intensive processes.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 11 June 2008 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-05-20

The energy necessary to separate 2H2O into 2H2 + O2 is theoretically equal to that produced by burning those elements. In reality, there are losses in the chemical reaction in the battery to make electricity, in the resistance of the wire, in the heat produced in the electrolysis, and the heat wasted in combustion, not to mention the losses in the belt to turn the alternator, the alternator itself (windings, bearings, rectifiers, regulator), the wires to the battery, and another chemical reaction to store the energy.

It’s a mini perpetual motion machine, and it doesn’t work.

You can’t win: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_law_of_thermodynamics

You can’t break even: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law_of_thermodynamics

2 of 6