5 of 15
The Cooking Thread
Posted: 24 November 2008 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, do you mind stovetop simmering? Plenty f ones willwork for that..

Mmm.. My mother’s leek and barley soup (with swiss cheese) might be a bit.. robust.. for the ill.. I’ll see what else she’s got tucked in as soups go.

My ex-stepmother’s Egg Drop Soup on the other hand would be very effective. It’s *very* peppery, clears out those sinuses and coughs rather nicely. We aren’t on speaking terms, though.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 24 November 2008 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Stovetop simmering is fine. I was thinking whether, if I replaced the leek in my leek and potato soup with chicken, and use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock, that might work.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 24 November 2008 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

I’d keep the veggie stock and replace the potatos instead of the leeks, myself. Chicken + chicken can get a bit odd, and I’ve never cared for chicken and potato. Maybe throw in some celery too.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 24 November 2008 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17
Robin Bobcat - 24 November 2008 02:32 AM

It’s called a Kata cake because my father is a martial artist, and a martial arts Kata is a series of ‘perfect’ movements, used to train the body. Thus, this cake can, with practice, be made with a series of smooth, almost dance-like motions. One of the first things my father does when moving into a new home is to learn the new motions of the Cake Kata for his new kitchen. He can make one of these incredibly fast.

I really want to watch your dad cooking. smile

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 25 November 2008 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Ok, so we adapted that recipe, and made chicken and leek soup with a little bit of potato to thicken it up.

Ingredients:
25g butter
1 large white onion, chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
500g of leeks, chopped
1 potato (optional), sliced
300g cooked chicken, shredded
3 litres of stock (we went for 2 parts chicken to 1 part vegetable)

Melt the butter in a large pan, then add the onion and cook for 10-15 minutes until it is clear and soft.
Add the garlic, and cook for a further minute or two.
Add the leek, and cook for 10 minutes or so, until the leek is soft.
Stir in the sliced potato and cooked chicken, and immediately add the stock.
Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or so.
Leave to cool, then whizz in a food processor until smooth.

It was very nice.
smile

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 01 December 2008 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29
Madmouse - 24 November 2008 09:59 PM
Robin Bobcat - 24 November 2008 02:32 AM

It’s called a Kata cake because my father is a martial artist, and a martial arts Kata is a series of ‘perfect’ movements, used to train the body. Thus, this cake can, with practice, be made with a series of smooth, almost dance-like motions. One of the first things my father does when moving into a new home is to learn the new motions of the Cake Kata for his new kitchen. He can make one of these incredibly fast.

I really want to watch your dad cooking. smile

I did similar things when I worked at Godfathers pizza.  Using very fluid like swift motions.  The workers would just watch me sometimes in awe (not to brag or anything).  I could cut a 10 slice pizza in a matter of about 1.5 seconds or less.  It used less energy and was more efficient.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 01 December 2008 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-17

*wants to watch Neo cut pizza* smile

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 02 December 2008 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

*cuts pizza in the buff*

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 02 December 2008 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-17

*faints from overexcitement*

Signature 

Research Mod

- The Watchtower

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 02 December 2008 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
NEO - 01 December 2008 04:17 PM

I did similar things when I worked at Godfathers pizza.  Using very fluid like swift motions.  The workers would just watch me sometimes in awe (not to brag or anything).  I could cut a 10 slice pizza in a matter of about 1.5 seconds or less.  It used less energy and was more efficient.

Oh to have a Godfather’s pizza in town!  As far as chain pizza goes, that was my drug of choice.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 02 December 2008 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-17

Well, I got my pumpkin frozen. I have five 250g bags, and two 100g ones.
I have plans for several recipes that I want to try. grin

Signature 

Research Mod

- The Watchtower

Sylvia Browne

5 of 15