4 of 15
The Cooking Thread
Posted: 23 November 2008 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Ok… I think I may have to break out my mother’s cookbook, at this rate. She has some AMAZING stuff hidden in there. Was just in a discussion elsewhere about one of her recipies: Borscht For Thirty. As the name implies, it is a LARGE recipie, and takes a long time to make. It is also amazing.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 23 November 2008 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Oh and Boo? you may have different flavors of marinara over on your side of the puddle. Our Subway sauce tastes like conventional pizza sauce with extra oregano.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 23 November 2008 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9103
Joined  2008-03-02
Robin Bobcat - 24 November 2008 12:32 AM

Ok… I think I may have to break out my mother’s cookbook, at this rate. She has some AMAZING stuff hidden in there. Was just in a discussion elsewhere about one of her recipies: Borscht For Thirty. As the name implies, it is a LARGE recipie, and takes a long time to make. It is also amazing.

Wow, that would be just about the right size for a family dinner around here! 

Oh, and Dave found (online) a recipe for traditional mincemeat pie…with actual meat!  Apparently the canned/jarred stuff doesn’t normally have much meat in it.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 23 November 2008 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

Ours has no actual meat, although it often has beef suet in it. Vegetarian versions are available, though.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 23 November 2008 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Hmmmm.  Well, since this thread is back up and running again, I suppose I’ll add in the recipe I made up the other day.

Tomato Stew

Ingredients (amounts are approximate):

1 tbsp olive oil
8 large Roma tomatoes

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 23 November 2008 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

My mom always makes us some tourtieres around Christmas time.  I love the recipe she uses for those.  I’m not sure if it’s the traditional French-Canadian one but it works for me.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 23 November 2008 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, let me dig out the book, then!

*rummages*

Let’s see… Pile six… Level seven.. strata… b? No.. c.. Here we go!

*cradles the black binder*

This is my most treasured possession. A copy of my mother’s cookbook. Initially started by her when she maried my father, it is a compilation of tried and tested recipies. I must say, my mother was a horrible cook. It is actually on record that she burnt water (we have fairly hard water here). However, she knew we deserved good food, and so she made a recipie book of things she *could* make. And would practice them. We had many wonderful dinners from the words in this book.

Now then.. Borscht For Thirty.

5 - 6 large beets with leafy tops
1 large onion
10 cups water
10 chicken bouillon cubes
1 large potato
8 - 10 Tbsp lemon juice
1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
salt
sour cream
Trim the fresh, tender-looking leraves from beet stem, discarding stem and coarse leaves. Wash tender leaves and drain well, then chop them. Peel beets and chop coarse, making 5-6 cups. Peel and slice onion and combine beet tops, beets, and onion in a large kettle. Add water and bouillon and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer soup for 15 mins. Peel the potato and cut into 1/2” cubes, add to soup and cook another 15 minutes. Add 6T of the lemon juice and 1T of the sugar. remove from heat and chill thoroughly. Taste cold soup and add salt as needed and as much more of thelemon juice and sugar as you need to achieve the sweet-sour flavor balance you prefer. Cover and chill for as long as a week. Serve with sour cream. Makes 3 quarts.

—-

The ‘Thirty’ may be a bit of a stretch, but it’s still a LOT of soup. It’s also fairly basic, flavorwise. Feel free to add a dash here or there of whatever spices and whatnot you prefer. A bay leaf or two would feel right at home.

Sadly, my mother’s recipie book lacks a later recipie: Bishop’s Borscht, aquired by my father as partial payment for singing Russian Orthodox Easter services (long story short: He speaks fluent Russian, and can sing, was a paid singer for a choir for many years). That particular one is simply amazing, and includes such directions as ‘Simmer the ox tails for three days’.

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2008 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Let’s see.. other faves of mine… Cranberries are in season right now, get ‘em fresh!

Cranberry Crunch

1-1/2 cups of Bisquick (=1-1/2 cups flour, 2 tsp bkg powder, 1/4 tsp salt,
1/4 cup shortening); if you don’t use Bisquick, mix all dry ingredients
together, then cut in the shortening with one of those half-circle-shaped
wire thingys (pastry blender). 1 cup sugar (or less);1 egg;1-1/2 cups
cranberries; 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds; 2Tb melted butter; 1 tsp
sugar.  Heat oven to 350. Grease 8x8 square pan (just get 64 square
inches—shape has no discernible effect); put together the baking mix (or
its components), the +-1 cup sugar and the egg and blend till crumbly;
lightly press 2/3 of it into the pan; top with cranberries and almonds.
Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 crumbly stuff; drizzle with butter; some people
will now sprinkle the last tsp of sugar on the top for a crispier texture,
but we usually skip it; Bake until the topping is golden brown, about 30
minutes.

This one is actually one of my father’s. It’s really good, nice and tart/sweet.

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2008 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

And another of Dad’s.

Kata Cake

Turn on oven to 350 F.
Soften 1 stick (1/2cup) butter. Microwave 18 seconds, e.g.
Use a bit of the butter to grease an 8 x 8 square or 9” round pan
Put a little flour into the pan and swirl to coat pan. Dump excess out
Add 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1-1/2 tsp baking powder, a tsp of
vanilla and 3 eggs to butter. Stir until smooth.
Scrape into pan and level with spatula.
Cook about 20 minutes, depending on oven. You may need to rotate it for
even cooking
It’s done when light brown and pulls away a bit from the sides
Let cool 10-15 minutes, then tap pan sideways to loosen for turning out,
or serve in pan

—-

This is a simple golden cake. It’s tasty, and travels well for picnics. It’ll take just about any kind of topping or frosting. Very good for parties. It does tend to dry out and get hard and crumbly, though.

It’s called a Kata cake because my father is a martial artist, and a martial arts Kata is a series of ‘perfect’ movements, used to train the body. Thus, this cake can, with practice, be made with a series of smooth, almost dance-like motions. One of the first things my father does when moving into a new home is to learn the new motions of the Cake Kata for his new kitchen. He can make one of these incredibly fast.

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2008 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9103
Joined  2008-03-02

That cake sounds really good!  And I can totally picture what you’re talking about with your dad in the kitchen. smile

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 24 November 2008 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Ok, as some people know, I’m sick right now. And I want chicken soup, damnit!
I’m finding it difficult to find a simple soup recipe that doesn’t involve a slow cooker, seeing as we don’t have one.
This maybe because my google-fu is extremely weak right now, admittedly.
Any suggestions?

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

4 of 15