15 of 15
The Cooking Thread
Posted: 08 January 2010 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

For any others caught in the frozen waste that is winter, i offer this little recipe to help combat the blues:

SNOW CREAM:

(Makes about =/- .75 gallon)

1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 gallon Whole Milk
2 TBS Vanilla
2 Cups Sugar

Roughly 2 gallons of fresh snow (The rule around my house has always been that the snow must be at least 5-6 inches deep, preferably from a single storm.  Scrape the top inch off the snow on the ground, then gather the underlying 3 inches or so until you have enough, LOTS is needed.)

Mix sugar and all liquid ingredients. (By hand until sugar is mostly dissolved.)
Put about 1/2 the snow in a large container.
Cut in 1/2 of milk mixture.
Add more snow.
Cut in the rest of milk mixture.
Add snow until saturated. (There shouldn’t be much left.)

Mix lightly until all snow is cream colored and “wet”. (Don’t overmix)

Enjoy! cheese

(p.s.  It helps to have a glass of cold water nearby to ward off the ‘Brain Freeze’ that comes from eating too much, too fast.) cool grin

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 08 January 2010 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Someone told me about this…but I thought they were playing a trick on me.  I have some Ben & Jerry’s in the freezer, and I’ll stick to that, thanksverymuch!!!  Lol LOL

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 09 March 2010 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8452
Joined  2006-02-28

I remember making snow cream Dave….

...Very old, but good warm happy thoughts (for a change) smile

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 10 March 2010 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  476
Joined  2008-09-11

I’m looking for a good meatloaf recipe that isn’t too bland (all I have tried so far are).  Any advice?  I know meatloaf is kinda the no brainer meal, but I like trying new stuff out to see if I can find a recipe the whole family enjoys.

Signature 

To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge.  -copernicus

Posted: 10 March 2010 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9104
Joined  2008-03-02
rachellyn - 10 March 2010 06:40 AM

I’m looking for a good meatloaf recipe that isn’t too bland (all I have tried so far are).  Any advice?  I know meatloaf is kinda the no brainer meal, but I like trying new stuff out to see if I can find a recipe the whole family enjoys.

Rachel, if you like you can try mine.  It’s on my blog, here.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 28 March 2010 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
rachellyn - 10 March 2010 06:40 AM

My husband ordered this once, and it was the best meatloaf I’ve ever had, so I now make it at home.  I made it las week as a matter of fact.  The veggies need to be chopped finer than the recipe calls for, in my opinion, so last week I just pureed them so that the flavor went throughout the whole meatload.  I also used a bunt pan instead of a loaf pan and found that it cooks more evenly with less cooking time, so use your meat thermometer if you choose to do that.

Click on the link to get to the page and get an easy print. 

BUCKHEAD MOUNTAIN GRILL’S MEATLOAD

Source: Kelly Leonardo with Buckhead Management provided the recipe via Ron Mikulak, AF Ed for Courier-Journal of Louisville, KY
Servings: 8

“For Americans, meatloaf has to be the primary cold-weather comfort food. This loaf is made with ground beef, whipping cream, horseradish, celery, onion, garlic and green bell pepper along with an egg and bread crumbs.”

2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 egg
3 tablespoons whipping cream
3 teaspoons horseradish
3/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon dry mustard
3/4 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
3/4 tablespoon fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup celery (diced 3/8 inch)
3/4 cup onion (diced 3/8 inch)
1/4 cup green bell pepper (diced 3/8 inch)
1 1/4 cups bread crumbs (plain type)

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, cream and seasonings. It is OK to work the mixture with your hands, if you like.

Add the diced vegetables and breadcrumbs, and mix until uniform.

Shape the mixture into a loaf, and place in a 9- by 5- by 4-inch pan, or make into individual loaves, and place in mini-pans. Top single loaf with about 1/4 cup ketchup, or each individual loaf with a tablespoon or so of ketchup, and then cover with foil.

Bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes, or until top is nicely browned and slightly crusty and the juices run clear. Internal temperature should be 160 degrees F.

Oh, and about meatloaf supposedly being a no brainer:  It’s hard to find a recipe that tastes like… well…  something other than a loaf of meat.  I like a little flavor myself.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 28 March 2010 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

That sounds pretty good, Bebe!
I’m going to have to try that one.

This week, for us, is going to be chicken week. We got a great deal on two medium chickens, and used about half of one last night.
We roasted both of them, so now I have to come up with chicken recipes to use up the rest!
(I may freeze some in portion sizes, though.)

I think this might be another enchilada Sunday…

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 28 March 2010 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-02

The chicken recipe I posted on the Shrinking Violets blog turned out really well, Boo. smile

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 28 March 2010 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

It’s all rainy here, and I’m tired, so tonight’s dinner is going to be comfort food. Roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips and maybe shallots (if they haven’t gone mouldy) and reduced-fat sausages, with a honey and wholegrain mustard glaze. smile

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 14 October 2011 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-02

We’re going to be having to watch what we cook for at least the near future, since Dave’s diet has been restricted somewhat.  That means not quite so many carbs (including in some of his favorite veggies!), and not as much sodium.  Looks like we get to experiment! grin

Signature 

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

15 of 15