1 of 15
The Cooking Thread
Posted: 16 May 2008 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Well, people keep saying there should be one, so I figured it would be good to start a thread in which everyone can ask questions and share recipes.

Ok, my question.
Matt’s really keen on Subway’s meatball subs, and I was thinking about trying to make some at home. Those who read my blog already know that I’m currently out of work, and that I’m trying to stretch our food stores to avoid having to buy too many groceries.

Now, they say it’s marinara sauce on the sub, but Matt says it doesn’t taste quite like it - I know that it doesn’t have any seafoodyness in it, which is perfectly fine for marinara sauce - but he thinks it might be slightly spicy.

I’ve found this basic recipe, which sounds really nice, but what spice do you reckon I should be adding to it to give it a bit of a kick? I’m loath to put in chilli, since we both like chillis as part of the salad.

Any ideas?

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 16 May 2008 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9101
Joined  2008-03-02

You could try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper, maybe.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 16 May 2008 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

Yeah, I agree with Crafty. It sounds good. smile

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 16 May 2008 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9101
Joined  2008-03-02

Dave suggested some chipotle sauce.  Guess it depends on how spicy you want it.  smile

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 16 May 2008 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-10

Thanks, guys!
Hmm. I may well have to make a batch, split it, and try different things in each one - I was also thinking that maybe smoky paprika might work.

Signature 

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 16 May 2008 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Boo - 16 May 2008 10:28 PM

Thanks, guys!
Hmm. I may well have to make a batch, split it, and try different things in each one - I was also thinking that maybe smoky paprika might work.

So, next time you come round you’re bringing stuff for meatball subs, then? wink

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 17 May 2008 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

You could up the amount of garlic, add some onions, and if you can find it, a nice squirt of anchovy paste, or mash a couple fillets and throw them in. That’s the traditional Italian way.

Adding thyme, as well as basil and oregano adds another layer of flavour in there, but don’t add too much or it will overwhelm the sauce.

The anchovies don’t make it fishy at all, if that’s a concern.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 17 May 2008 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Anchovy paste rules.

Anchovy’s are the flavorful ingredient in Worchestershire sauce and WS is great with any kind of beef.

Anyway, here’s what I googled:

Subway Marinara Sauce

olive oil spray

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 17 May 2008 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Oh, by the way, here’s a money saver.  If you only use flour occasionally, you know that you often go to use some only to find that life has found a way to flourish in your flour.  Keep it in the freezer, and this won’t happen.  Same with pasta or any grain or cereal.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 17 May 2008 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-10

Oh, we do have anchovy paste. That’s a good idea. Man, I love anchovies.

Thanks, Bebe! Seems that we might have imagined the spiciness.
Still, I might give the other recipes a go anyway - there’s no harm in experimentation, right?

Signature 

Posted: 18 May 2008 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

Experimentation is…ahem…the spice of life, Boo! cheese

It sounds yummy.

let us know how it turns out! grin

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 19 May 2008 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I found out how to duplicate the chili’s southwestern eggrolls.  Eight dollars now for THREE eggrolls & a dollop of the dipping sauce!!!  I told Jason NO MORE.  So I found a way to make them instead.

Here is the exact measures I found, but I didn’t even come close to using them this way:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil /1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half /2 tablespoons minced green onion /2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper /1/3 cup frozen corn kernels /1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained /2 tablespoons frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained /2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers /1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley /1/2 teaspoon ground cumin /1/2 teaspoon chili powder /1/3 teaspoon salt /1 pinch ground cayenne pepper /3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese /5 (6 inch) flour tortillas /1 quart oil for deep frying .

I used 2 chicken breasts, about a heaping handful of green onion, nearly a whole red pepper (cut off the top & bottom so it was easier to cut…that was the only part I didn’t use for this).  Probably closer to a half cup of corn…maybe a little more.  3/4 of a can of black beans, a heaping handful of spinach.  Maybe 3 tablespoons jalapeno.  I used parsley paste instead of fresh (I can buy it in the store for much cheaper than fresh leaves and it lasts MUCH longer), and I used probably about a tablespoon.  I didn’t measure the cumin, chili powder or salt.  I just shook until it looked right.  The salt I sprinkled lightly.  I’m not one much for it.  My father in law is allergic to cayenne, so I didn’t use it.  I used about a cup of cheese.  And the 6 inch tortillas were WAY too small.  I used 8 inch…and I used the ones that are already “made”.  But I think next time I will make them myself, b/c I can better seal the “roll” part.  I did deep fry them…but others have mentioned baking them instead.

Cook the chicken, dice it.  Onions & red peppers in a skillet with a little oil until tender (about 5 mins).  Put in the rest of the ingredients up to the cayenne pepper and cook all together for another 5 minutes or so.  Remove from heat, stir in cheese, it will start to melt.  If you’re using ready-made tortillas, microwave them a little so they get soft…roll up some filling & close with a toothpick.  The recipe I used then says you should put the eggrolls onto a covered dish into the freezer for 4 hours.  I didn’t do this.  I just started dropping them into the oil.  If you freeze the eggrolls they should cook for about 10 minutes in oil that is about 375 degrees.  If not…maybe 5 minutes or less to get them to about golden brown.  Drain, serve.

The dip that goes with it:
1/4 cup smashed fresh avocado (about half of an avocado)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1 dash dried dill weed
1 dash garlic powder
1 dash pepper

I of course, didn’t do that exact either.  Since my eggroll recipe made more than the original recipe called for…I changed this, too.  BUT, I just made sure my avocado, mayo, & sour cream were all the same amounts.  The rest of the stuff I think I did measure out like the recipe calls for…except for the herbs…I mixed & tasted.  You can garnish with onions & tomatoes.  Technically…this is “avocado ranch dip”.  I am not sure, though…if you could just add avocado to ranch dressing…but I am sure there is someone adventurous enough to try it.  smile  Let me know if it works!

smile

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

1 of 15