4 of 12
The Roslyn Hoax
Posted: 11 May 2008 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Renquist - 11 May 2008 02:15 PM

I bet someone could connect Winnie the Pooh to Jack the Ripper if we had to.

Well of course, especially since Winnie the Pooh “lived under the name of Mr. Saunders” according to the book. Mr. Saunders in this case being Mr. William Sedgwick Saunders, who was called as a material witness to the inquest of the second murder, that of Catherine Eddowes. He was also an Assistant Surgeon with the Royal Fusiliers. Perhaps Milne was intimating that Saunders was more than a witness , but was in fact the Ripper himself?

Milne, of course, also served in the Royal Fusiliers, during WW1.

Posted: 11 May 2008 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

OMG. Oh Henry bars ARE Brown!

They have infitrated our chocolate!

Umm, just a silly question, but what exactly are the modern-time ramnifications of the odd connections that you are attempting to draw?

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 12 May 2008 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Transfrmr - 12 May 2008 03:29 AM

OMG. Oh Henry bars ARE Brown!

They have infitrated our chocolate!

Umm, just a silly question, but what exactly are the modern-time ramnifications of the odd connections that you are attempting to draw?

Oh you disappoint me. We all know there are none.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 12 May 2008 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
David B. - 11 May 2008 07:52 PM

Well of course, especially since Winnie the Pooh “lived under the name of Mr. Saunders” according to the book. Mr. Saunders in this case being Mr. William Sedgwick Saunders, who was called as a material witness to the inquest of the second murder, that of Catherine Eddowes. He was also an Assistant Surgeon with the Royal Fusiliers. Perhaps Milne was intimating that Saunders was more than a witness , but was in fact the Ripper himself?

Make love to me with your big beautiful brain!  grin

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 12 May 2008 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Bebelicious - 12 May 2008 07:55 PM
David B. - 11 May 2008 07:52 PM

I’m not sure the brain is the best part to be making love with…

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 03 June 2008 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-06-03

Hi guys, Jonathon Menges of the Rippercast pointed me to this site and I think it right I chip in.
I became interested in the field of Ripperology as a direct result of being involved in the paranormal.  I had always had an interest in the field and in 2006, diagnosed with a critical heart condition I was forced out of work.  Rather than sit on my backside doing nothing, I decided that I would write a book on the paranormal, a task which drew my attnetion to the fact that several previously named Ripper Suspects had links to my hometown of Hull.
One of which was Robert D’Onston Stephenson, who in later years became known as Roslyn Donston.
Stephenson lived just minutes away from my house and his family were involved in the same industries my family are involved in now.
I decided to start collecting everything I could get my hands on which was Stephenson related and my attention was drawn to the Melvin Harris books as his earlier work covered Stephenson’s “Dead or Alive” story. 
Harris came to the conclusion in 1987 that Stephenson was a “Fantasist” yet years later he named him as “Jack the Ripper”.
I love Harris’s work and nothing but respect for him, but these are the claims which need to be addressed.
What made him change his mind, as everything found since goes some way in proving Stephenson could not have committed the murders.

At the moment I am working on a book looking into the Ripper Suspects named “Jack the Ripper, From Hell, From Hull?” and a chapter looks at the story of “Dead or Alive”.

All the best

Mike Covell

Posted: 03 June 2008 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05
Renquist - 12 May 2008 08:04 PM
Bebelicious - 12 May 2008 07:55 PM

I’m not sure the brain is the best part to be making love with…

Well in my case it’s the only bit that still works properly… sometimes.

Posted: 03 June 2008 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

Mike,

I’m sure your book will be very interesting, but how will you do anything more that insinuate X is the ripper? It is feasible that someone might be able to prove someone is not the ripper with some degree of confidence (by finding a documented alibi for him/her, for example), but proof positive of the ripper’s identity is impossible.

I’ve never quite understood, so perhaps you can explain, what really is the point of ‘ripperology’? (This is a genuine question BTW.)

Posted: 03 June 2008 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-06-03
David B. - 03 June 2008 02:19 PM

Mike,

I’m sure your book will be very interesting, but how will you do anything more that insinuate X is the ripper? It is feasible that someone might be able to prove someone is not the ripper with some degree of confidence (by finding a documented alibi for him/her, for example), but proof positive of the ripper’s identity is impossible.

I’ve never quite understood, so perhaps you can explain, what really is the point of ‘ripperology’? (This is a genuine question BTW.)

Hi David B. the title of my book is “Jack the Ripper, From Hell, From Hull?” and as you can see has the question mark which hangs over the heads of each candidate.  In short, my aim was to present a well balanced factual account of their links to the city, not propose a candidate.  The thing is all of them who had associations with the city had pretty cast iron alibi’s for the night’s in question.

Ripperology for many is not just the study of several dead prostitutes and an invisible killer, but a look back at victorian history, politics, crime, punishment, media and the social classes of eastend London during the period.  Some of the best books in the case don’t name a suspect!

Posted: 04 June 2008 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-06-04

I

Posted: 04 June 2008 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6941
Joined  2005-10-21

(Psst. The five star is the posting/forum rank, not the user name. That would be David B, AKA Dave, or Her Royal Highness if he’s got the dress and tiara on)

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsibility to disprove your claims, but rather your responsibility to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

4 of 12