1 of 5
Wheaton Experience - 1992 or not?
Posted: 30 April 2008 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-04-30

This is a fun one. On You Tube under the key word of Wheaton Experience there video of some college students being interviewed that claims to be from 1992, the camera man verbally lists the date.  In 1992 could you just lug around a video camera and were they accessible?  What about the blonde girl, is that a wig (an interesting re-creation of 1992 hair styles?).  Just food for thought.

Posted: 30 April 2008 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9103
Joined  2008-03-02

Um, yeeeessssss, you could lug around a video camera and yes, they were accessible in 1992.  Why in the world wouldn’t they be??  They just weren’t as compact as they are now…

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 01 May 2008 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9103
Joined  2008-03-02

By the way, welcome!  One thing folks will probably ask is that you include links in your posts, like so.

I’ve included the link to the video you mentioned.

By the way, that looks like the girl’s real hair, not a wig.  And yes, that’s pretty much what hairstyles were like in the early 90s.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 01 May 2008 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2006-03-12

Consider that my 50+ year old father has movies of himself as a child…. black and white mind you… but still movies

They were on reel to reel format… then transferred to VHS..  easy enough to digitize from there.

The 90’s was only 10 years ago…

Posted: 01 May 2008 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

I have video of myself and my two sisters dating about 1985 or so. The handycam craze *started* in the early 90s, with the things becoming compact and cheap enough for any sports dad to afford. Before that, the TV newscrews had the shoulder-mount video that brought the ‘roving reporter’ to our living rooms every night. Before *that* you had handheld Super-8 film cameras and a tape recorder. There’s no reason to think the video couldn’t be made in the 90s.

In point of fact, you could even have concealable video cameras back then. My ex-stepmother works for a detective agency, and I recall seeing ads for some of the gear come through. An ordinary wristwatch, with a lens built in and thin wires leading up the sleeve to a micro-cassette VCR the size of a wallet. Disgustingly expensive - think ‘Porsche’ - for thirty seconds of video, but when it would break a case, it was well worth it.

Now, of course, it’s certainly possible to *fake* a video from the 90s. Certainly easy enough to locate functional technology to do the recording.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 01 May 2008 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

About the mid-80s I was working on a project using hand-held video cameras not much bigger than a cine-8. The video was then fed through a digital framestore, synchronised to the output of a desktop PC and displayed as a composite image of the video footage and a real-time 3D graphical analysis of same.

Then after work, I’d climb into my four-seater bouldersmobile, shout “yabba-dabba-do-o”, and start peddling myself home with my feet!

If you are interested in what still and movie cameras were available then, I suggest you check out the Canon Camera Museum (http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/), which lists all of Canon’s cameras by category and date.

[Edit: The SHARP ViewCam, launched in 1992.]

Posted: 01 May 2008 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Hey, I had that camera!

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 01 May 2008 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Well if you email the owner of the site where I got the image maybe he’ll give it back to you.

Posted: 01 May 2008 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08
Robin Bobcat - 01 May 2008 07:59 AM

I have video of myself and my two sisters dating…

Were you dating your two sisters, or were they just dating each other? wink

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 01 May 2008 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Charybdis - 01 May 2008 03:03 PM
Robin Bobcat - 01 May 2008 07:59 AM

I have video of myself and my two sisters dating…

Were you dating your two sisters, or were they just dating each other? wink

You beat me to that LOL

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 02 May 2008 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-30

That hair is out of control!

Posted: 04 May 2008 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-30

Thanks for the welcome Crafty Dragon!  Thanks for showing how stuff can be linked up.  Shows you how much I know about that kind of stuff.  Still learning.

1 of 5