2 of 2
“‘When Worlds Collide’ may happen!” say scientists.
Posted: 23 April 2008 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Mercury’s orbit became very elongated due to the gravitational pull of Jupiter. . .

Right.  That settles it, then.  Jupiter’s got to go.

*gets out the extra-large brass knuckles*

Bye Jupiter!

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 24 April 2008 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08
David B. - 23 April 2008 02:17 PM

Special Relativity disagrees.

It depends on how many people (and the overall masses of said people) were falling off cliffs on the other side of the planet, too.  If there were more on the other side of the planet then it would actually be falling away from our protagonist and he would have to catch up to it, within his own frame of reference (which is the frame he would be referencing, after all).

Yes I added that last part just for your next argument, Dave.  wink

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 24 April 2008 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Charybdis - 24 April 2008 02:32 PM

It depends on how many people (and the overall masses of said people) were falling off cliffs on the other side of the planet, too.  If there were more on the other side of the planet then it would actually be falling away from our protagonist and he would have to catch up to it, within his own frame of reference (which is the frame he would be referencing, after all).

Only if he was especially privileged. wink

Of course, you could say that people jumping off cliffs between midnight and next midday have the planet hit them, while those who jump between midday and next midnight hit the planet. I’ll leave it as an ‘exercise for the reader’ to work out why.

2 of 2