1 of 2
The 10 Most Puzzling Ancient Artifacts
Posted: 15 December 2005 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2336
Joined  2005-11-02

I thought this was interesting http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa011402a.htm?1

Signature 

The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible.
Oscar Wilde

http://www.destinedtofall.co.uk

Posted: 15 December 2005 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

Is it just me, or do the grooved spheres vaguely resemble cricket balls?

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 16 December 2005 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18
Smerk - 16 December 2005 12:19 AM

Is it just me, or do the grooved spheres vaguely resemble cricket balls?

It’s a little known fact that prokaryote cells used to enjoy cricket but were discouraged by the more sophisticated eukaryotic group.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 16 December 2005 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10

I’ve never heard of most of the things mentioned in that article. But there are a couple that have been in popular pseudoscientific literature for a while. One is the Ancient Model Aircraft. It was talked about in “Chariots of the Gods?” by von Daniken. I don’t recall exactly what he said about it but with his reputation I’m sure it wasn’t based on objective research. The article’s description destroys any scientific credibility they may have had by promoting the claim it’s an aerodynamic marvel and able to glide. A little elementary physics will dismiss this as fantasy. It’s made of gold and therefore extremely heavy for its size. That would mean its flight characteristics would be identical to that of a brick. Modern aircraft designed that way need powerful engines to keep aloft. Some even earned the nickname “Widow Makers”. This artifact, like they say, resembles an aircraft, but that doesn’t mean it is. It’s more likely some kind of bird.

The other artifact I recognize is the “Baghdad Battery”. This was also made famous by von Daniken in “Chariots of the Gods?”. Real scientists dismiss the theory it was a battery. The truth is no one knows what it was for. Sure, if you fill it with acid an electric current will flow between the copper and the iron rod. But that will happen any time you have dissimilar metals immersed in an electrolyte. In elementary school, we did an experiment where we stuck a copper and a zinc rod in a lemon then measured the voltage between the two. This effect, called electrolysis, is unavoidable. In fact, boaters go to great lengths to prevent electrolysis from eroding the underwater metal parts (propeller, propeller shafts, rudder fittings, etc.) of their vessels; often unsuccessfully. There is no evidence to indicate the “Baghdad Battery” was ever filled with acid. If people of that era did know about and use electricity, there would be a lot of other evidence around. Why is this the only thing that remains?

If the other eight things are as well researched as the above two items, I don’t think there is anything to be puzzled about. I’m sure a little investigation, such as consulting respected archaeologists that specialize in those particular time periods, will reveal their true identity and purpose.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 16 December 2005 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

Myth Busters hypothesized that the “batteries” were used for electroplating, however they overlooked the fact that it took a heckuva lot of batteries to shock anyone.  They didn’t go the extra mile and realize that, without experiencing a shock, the early Persians couldn’t have discovered electricity… also, the metal beam in the pots is completely encased and they could not be used as a battery without altering their design.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 16 December 2005 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Beware the time-travelling cricket team!  They plan to take a few thousand years to train and perfect their skills, and then they’ll show up and dominate the world with their uncanny abilities.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 16 December 2005 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23
Accipiter - 16 December 2005 05:44 AM

Beware the time-travelling cricket team!  They plan to take a few thousand years to train and perfect their skills, and then they’ll show up and dominate the world with their uncanny abilities.

That was roughly my thoughts
petrified cricket balls.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 16 December 2005 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

R.E the one that most experts believed to be a spark plug. Funny how it went missing. I think therefore we can assume it is a sperk plug.

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 16 December 2005 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2005-12-16

does look an awful lot like a cricketball…

Posted: 16 December 2005 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Captain Al - 16 December 2005 05:17 AM

I’ve never heard of most of the things mentioned in that article. But there are a couple that have been in popular pseudoscientific literature for a while. One is the Ancient Model Aircraft. It was talked about in “Chariots of the Gods?” by von Daniken. I don’t recall exactly what he said about it but with his reputation I’m sure it wasn’t based on objective research. The article’s description destroys any scientific credibility they may have had by promoting the claim it’s an aerodynamic marvel and able to glide. A little elementary physics will dismiss this as fantasy. It’s made of gold and therefore extremely heavy for its size. That would mean its flight characteristics would be identical to that of a brick. Modern aircraft designed that way need powerful engines to keep aloft. Some even earned the nickname “Widow Makers”. This artifact, like they say, resembles an aircraft, but that doesn’t mean it is. It’s more likely some kind of bird.

The other artifact I recognize is the “Baghdad Battery”. This was also made famous by von Daniken in “Chariots of the Gods?”. Real scientists dismiss the theory it was a battery. The truth is no one knows what it was for. Sure, if you fill it with acid an electric current will flow between the copper and the iron rod. But that will happen any time you have dissimilar metals immersed in an electrolyte. In elementary school, we did an experiment where we stuck a copper and a zinc rod in a lemon then measured the voltage between the two. This effect, called electrolysis, is unavoidable. In fact, boaters go to great lengths to prevent electrolysis from eroding the underwater metal parts (propeller, propeller shafts, rudder fittings, etc.) of their vessels; often unsuccessfully. There is no evidence to indicate the “Baghdad Battery” was ever filled with acid. If people of that era did know about and use electricity, there would be a lot of other evidence around. Why is this the only thing that remains?

If the other eight things are as well researched as the above two items, I don’t think there is anything to be puzzled about. I’m sure a little investigation, such as consulting respected archaeologists that specialize in those particular time periods, will reveal their true identity and purpose.

If the pot ever contained an acid, that should be demonstratable with residue analysis and it will undoubtedly also have its effect on the wall of the pot.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 17 December 2005 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2005-12-17

Javier Carrera? These guys are trying to sound like some creepy alien excavation site! Something much like on DOOM…

Signature 

Auxilium meum a Domino

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures
He leadeth me beside the still waters
He restoreth my soul

He leadeth me
in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake
Yea, though I wal through the valley of the shadow of death
I will fear no evil, for thou art with me
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me

Thou preparest a table before me
in the presence of mine enemies

Posted: 21 December 2005 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2005-09-04

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=23811
A message board thread. Scroll down to post 4 to see links to pages debunking these items…or, at least, talking about them.

1 of 2