3 of 7
Children’s books you love.
Posted: 07 April 2008 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9365
Joined  2005-01-23

Carlotta, I loved the Three Investigator series! It was awesome!

Other books I read growing up include: Charlottes’ Web (natuarally), Narnia series, Anne of Green Gables, Howls Moving Castle and Black Maria by Diana Wynn Jones, Belgariad and Mallorean by Eddings, various Point Thrillers.

There are a couple of books that I just can’t remember the names of and it’s driving me mental. One of them I was sure was called The key, the secret, the garden but it’s not The Secret garden. A young girl is sent to live with her Aunt during the war and she discovers a gorgeous garden out the back. She also meets a young boy who she plays with, thinking it’s the next door neighbour. It actually turns out the boy is a ghost and no one but herself can see him. Her Father comes to get her and I’m sure he’s a doctor.I know bits of it sound similar to The Secret Garden but it’s definitely a different book. My teacher leant it to me in 1988…
The other book is a little hazer in my memory but two children live in rural England and they discover the ruins of an old village in the woods near their house. It tuns out the village was abandoned when plague hit, there may be ghosts involved but I can’t really remember.

If by any chance these happen to ring a bell for anyone, please, please[ let me know! I’d love to read them again.

Signature 

The Middleman: (drinking milk) You know, that was some darn fine cow squirt.

Posted: 07 April 2008 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9365
Joined  2005-01-23

LOL
It took me that long to type that bloody post that I’m late on mentioning the Three Investigators! I especially loved The three Investigators and the screaming clocks, fantastic book!

Signature 

The Middleman: (drinking milk) You know, that was some darn fine cow squirt.

Posted: 07 April 2008 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

I always liked Jupiter Jones, myself.  I wanted to be as pompous as he.  smile

Bob seems to have always fallen by the wayside, though.  He was much more a sidekick than Pete.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 April 2008 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10
Charybdis - 07 April 2008 02:33 PM

I always liked Jupiter Jones, myself.  I wanted to be as pompous as he.  smile

Bob seems to have always fallen by the wayside, though.  He was much more a sidekick than Pete.

I like the original ones better than the later ones, too.
After Bob got that brace thing off his knee, and started flirting with all the girls…
Naaaah.
I want chasing villains on bicycles! Secret doorways! Special entrance tunnels!
That’s the good stuff.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 07 April 2008 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10
Nettie - 07 April 2008 02:31 PM

LOL
It took me that long to type that bloody post that I’m late on mentioning the Three Investigators! I especially loved The three Investigators and the screaming clocks, fantastic book!

Gah!
I’m going to have to dig out all my TTI books when I get home, now. I know I have that one…

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 07 April 2008 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

Ooh, and I forgot about John Christopher.  I loved the Tripod books as a kid, and many of his other books and series were good, too.  If I ever get around to going to the book store I plan on stocking up again.  I originally got them all from the library, so I had to return them.

Signature 

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 April 2008 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08
Boo - 07 April 2008 02:36 PM
Nettie - 07 April 2008 02:31 PM

LOL

Gah!
I’m going to have to dig out all my TTI books when I get home, now. I know I have that one…

I do, too. cheese

Signature 

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 April 2008 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02
Charybdis - 07 April 2008 02:29 PM

While that helps me bond with you, Carlotta, I’m afraid we can’t move this relationship forward any farther until you read NIMH.  It just wouldn’t work out until you do.  The movie was great, but the book was wonderful.  And it didn’t have any of that mystical nonsense, either.

I’ve read NIMH! It’s Mrs. Frisby that I don’t think I’ve read.

I just forgot to mention NIMH is all. raspberry

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 07 April 2008 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02
Boo - 07 April 2008 02:28 PM

The Three Investigators books were great. I always wanted my own secret headquarters in the midst of a junkyard.
smile

And I liked Pete the best, even though he was somewhat dim.

Yeah, I was always trying to build my own HQ in the mess that was our garage. I did manage a few tunnels, but my father kept rearranging stuff and thwarting my plans.

I always like Bob the best. I’m into those intellectual types. wink

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 07 April 2008 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

You confuse me.  There are only three books, and he only wrote the first one.  His daughter wrote two, but the first sucked and I wasn’t about to get the second one.  None of them were just called ‘NIMH’.

Signature 

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 April 2008 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

I wish I could say I still had some TTI books left, but unfortunately, most of the ones I read were library books. downer

Signature 

3 of 7