1 of 1
Trunk-cam reveals jungle secrets
Posted: 26 March 2008 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

Cameras held by elephants’ trunks have been used to provide an intimate view of tigers in the jungle.

Because the big cats are used to the presence of elephants, the tusked giants were able to get far closer to them than a human film crew ever could.

Thanks to the “trunk-cams”, the team was able to follow four newborn tiger cubs all the way through to adulthood.

The footage was recorded over a period of three years in the Pench National Park in India.

It is the basis of a three-part BBC One series: Tiger - Spy in the Jungle, which is narrated by Sir David Attenborough.

Series producer John Downer, from John Downer Productions, said: “Tigers are so secretive and they live in such dense jungle that it is very difficult for a human film crew to get close to them.

“But elephants are the ultimate four-by-four camera vehicle - and have allowed us to film these animals closer than we have ever been able to film them before.”

The crew used three types of high-definition cameras, designed and built by Geoff Bell and operated by cameraman Michael Richards:

* A remotely-operated trunk-cam, which could film while the elephants were on the move and could also be set down.
  * A remotely-operated tusk-cam, which was smaller than the trunk cam and could be carried by the elephants for much longer periods.
  * Log and rock cams - cameras disguised as logs or rocks - which could be set down either by an elephant or human crew member and were activated by motion sensors.

Mr Downer said: “The elephants were remarkably stable - almost like a steady-cam, and they only needed a little bit of training to carry and set down the cameras.

“With these cameras, anywhere a tiger went or whatever it did, we could keep on filming it. They were the ultimate filming devices.”

Mr Downer added: “This sort of thing hasn’t been done before.

“It is a bit of a bonkers idea, and in my wildest dreams, when I thought about the challenges of filming tigers, I never thought we would suceed in doing what we did in this way, but now it seems the most natural thing in the world.”

The cameras also recorded other animals, including langur monkeys, sloth bears and red dogs.

Source

The first programme of Tiger- Spy in the Jungle will be shown on BBC One on Sunday 30 March at 2000 GMT

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 26 March 2008 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

That’s pretty awesome. Elephants come in useful all the damn time, don’t they?

Pity I’ll miss the first episode on account of my working this Sunday downer

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 26 March 2008 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

Ooh, I want to see that. smile

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 26 March 2008 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26043
Joined  2004-11-08

I wonder if 95% of their footage is a close-up of the ass-end of the elephant in front of them.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 26 March 2008 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

Well you film 3 months from an elephant camera, you probably only get about 3 hours of tigers.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 30 March 2008 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

And I definately don’t want to see the footage they got from the elephant with hay fever or a head cold….(I get more than enough close-ups of slime dealing with the spawnlings…)

smile

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

1 of 1