1 of 2
Third undersea cable to Middle East broken
Posted: 02 February 2008 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

source

Following the recent break of two undersea telecom cables near Alexandria, Egypt, running between Egypt and Italy and serving the Middle East with telephone and internet connections, a third one is now reported to have broken. This time, a cable near Dubai which serves the Gulf region and Meditterranean (just like the previously broken ones near Egypt) and runs between Sri Lanka and Suez.

Of course, conspiracy theories are rife (e.g. Slashdot comments), because as they say: “once is an accident, twice is coincidence, thrice is enemy action”.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 02 February 2008 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Those two Marketwatch links don’t seem to be working.

And regarding the “once is an accident, twice is coincidence, thrice is enemy action” thing on the other website. . .this isn’t just the third time this sort of thing has happened.  It happens fairly regularly, especially in such heavy shipping areas as Alexandria and Dubai.  I remember a few years ago Pakistan had pretty much all of its communications cut off that way.  And there’s a rising black market in stolen undersea cable, for that matter.  So it’s nothing new.  It’s just that in this case it happened twice in a fairly short span of time.

Could this have been intentional?  Sure, but it doesn’t make much sense as anything other than a sort of general “anti-technology” terrorism.  Could it have been an innocent accident?  Absolutely.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 03 February 2008 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
Accipiter - 02 February 2008 06:33 PM

They probably were pulled because of the “Slashdot effect”. Or the limited attention span of those Wall Street jockeys. I replaced them with the BBC link in the first post.

I agree with the rest of your comment that it is probably coincidence. But like to stir up things a bit here in this conspiracy section, it is quiet on the nutters front lately wink

Signature 

———
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 03 February 2008 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17
LaMa - 03 February 2008 02:01 PM

I agree with the rest of your comment that it is probably coincidence. But like to stir up things a bit here in this conspiracy section, it is quiet on the nutters front lately wink

LOL

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 03 February 2008 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14
LaMa - 03 February 2008 02:01 PM
Accipiter - 02 February 2008 06:33 PM

They probably were pulled because of the “Slashdot effect”. Or the limited attention span of those Wall Street jockeys. I replaced them with the BBC link in the first post.

We can always put out an ad for some new ones..  tongue wink

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 03 February 2008 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

I suppose we could always start doing what they do here:  go to their forums, post something vague with lots of links back to here, and then never pay attention to any reply they make there.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 03 February 2008 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17
Accipiter - 03 February 2008 09:44 PM

I suppose we could always start doing what they do here:  go to their forums, post something vague with lots of links back to here, and then never pay attention to any reply they make there.

Ooh, that could be fun!

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 03 February 2008 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

Should we hit one forum at a time?  All at once?  hehe   That could be a lot of fun.  Just throw in some gibberish about a conspiracy that doesn’t fit their view of the world and watch the fireworks.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 04 February 2008 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Let’s add some suspense….:

Fourth Gulf region cable out of service (although not necessarily broken).

And:

Break in Alexandria cables not caused by ships anchor

(with thanks to Slashdot)

Signature 

———

Posted: 04 February 2008 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
LaMa - 04 February 2008 07:16 AM

Let’s add some suspense….:

Fourth Gulf region cable out of service (although not necessarily broken).

I love how the company clearly says that it’s not a broken cable this time, but instead power supply issues. . .and then that article just sort of ignores that and goes on talking about “the fourth cable break”.

I wonder if new problem could be a result of all the re-routing having overloaded something?

Signature 

Posted: 04 February 2008 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

Some governments may feel that an informed public is dangerous.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 04 February 2008 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

And some publics might feel that getting informed is too much bother. . .  wink

Signature 

1 of 2