1 of 3
See? Clowns really are scary…
Posted: 16 January 2008 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

An interesting BBC article.
(Warning - article contains clown pictures…  gulp )
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7191721.stm

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 16 January 2008 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Heh. The radio station I work at did a thing about this today and, before the show, the producer sent an email round the staff asking whether “anyone likes clowns, or are they just scary?”
Presumably so they could mention the informal poll on the show.
I gather the response was almost 100% ‘scary’. Many people mentioned Stephen King’s ‘It’.
wink

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 16 January 2008 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Any thing huge (compared to self) is scary and so are huge, sharp, smiling teeth, but children are also afraid of Santa Claus as well.  I think they are right in assessing that anything that instinctively appears ‘wrong’ is frightening as are extremely vivid colors on large things or faces that are painted in gregariously bright, contrasting colors, especially on something very large.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 16 January 2008 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I’ve never found clowns to be either funny or scary when they’re just dressed up.  Sometimes their act can be funny, although in general I’m not all that impressed by the sort of humour that they tend to go for.  So mostly I just find clowns dull or mildly embarrassing.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 16 January 2008 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-17

For me, it’s the permenantly smiling facepaint that doesn’t let you know what their true feelings are. A clown could be feeling homicidal but still smile at you with his BIG FREAKY FAKE FACE!
*goes to hide in a corner*

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 16 January 2008 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-10
Madmouse - 16 January 2008 10:04 PM

For me, it’s the permenantly smiling facepaint that doesn’t let you know what their true feelings are. A clown could be feeling homicidal but still smile at you with his BIG FREAKY FAKE FACE!

Exactly.
*joins Mouse in the corner and clutches her spork*

Signature 

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 16 January 2008 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-17
Boo - 16 January 2008 10:10 PM

Exactly.
*joins Mouse in the corner and clutches her spork*

Got a spare spork?
*looks around nervously*

Signature 

Research Mod

- The Watchtower

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 16 January 2008 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Madmouse - 16 January 2008 10:04 PM

Hmmm.  Really, a clown is no different from most people in that respect.  Lots of people make a habit of hiding how they really feel about things.  I suppose that a clown just makes it more official and blatant.

*throws a clownfish into the corner with Boo and Madmouse*

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 16 January 2008 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-17

*cuddles the clownfish*

Signature 

Research Mod

- The Watchtower

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 16 January 2008 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-10
Madmouse - 16 January 2008 10:13 PM

Got a spare spork?
*looks around nervously*

Here. I’ll use the titanium one, you can borrow the steel one.

Accipiter - 16 January 2008 10:13 PM

Hmmm.  Really, a clown is no different from most people in that respect.  Lots of people make a habit of hiding how they really feel about things.  I suppose that a clown just makes it more official and blatant.

Duh. raspberry

Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2008 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29
hulitoons - 16 January 2008 09:24 PM

Any thing huge (compared to self) is scary and so are huge, sharp, smiling teeth, but children are also afraid of Santa Claus as well.  I think they are right in assessing that anything that instinctively appears ‘wrong’ is frightening as are extremely vivid colors on large things or faces that are painted in gregariously bright, contrasting colors, especially on something very large.

Like Barney.  Barney must DIE!!

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 16 January 2008 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-17
Neo - 16 January 2008 10:52 PM

Like Barney.  Barney must DIE!!

Hurrah!
*joins lynch mob*

Signature 

Research Mod

- The Watchtower

Sylvia Browne

1 of 3