1 of 2
Wired.com lists 10 Great Snake-Oil Gadgets: The Q-Ray bracelet is #1! (with the Harmony Chip close behind)
Posted: 06 January 2008 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10

Wired.com recently published a list of 10 great snake-oil gadgets. No surprise that everyone’s favorite, the Q-Ray bracelet, made the top of the list.

Tested by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation at an electron microscopy lab, it found that the thing wasn’t ionized at all. Even for true believers, it’s a waste of wonga.

You may also be happy to hear the infamous Harmony Chip made the list as well.

The Harmony Chip is so transparently useless as to be an object lesson in how drivel may be dressed up as science.

And here’s what they have to say about the Harmony Chip’s illustrious inventor.

A long-haired, bare-chested Yorkshireman with a fake Eastern name who rambles emptily about the nature of innovation and who attributes commonplace platitudes to himself.

Click on the link for proof I’m not making this up.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 06 January 2008 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

What, no LifeWave?

And Alex picked up the beech knobs back in 2006, I see.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 06 January 2008 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10
Smerk - 06 January 2008 05:30 AM

What, no LifeWave?

Haven’t you heard, LifeWave uses nanotechnology instead of snake-oil.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 06 January 2008 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

The best thing on the Wired article is the comments section at the bottom.

Lots of “I tried dowsing and it worked!” testimonials, proving once and for all that when P. T. Barnum said there was a new sucker born every minute he was - in fact - underestimating the American public (though he undoubtedly didn’t go broke doing so)!

Posted: 06 January 2008 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Heh. My husband was just telling me the other week about how his grandfather used a dowsing rod to find the well where his parents live smile

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 07 January 2008 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

If paying thousands of dollars for a volume control isn’t spendy enough, try upgrading it with a pair of $485 wooden volume knobs, replacing the standard bakelites.

There’s just no reason to pay this much for wood, even for committed audiophiles. Look at it this way: unlike speakers, signal processors or even cables, there’s no engineer out there dedicating his life to polishing wooden volume knobs.

LOL LOL LOL

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 07 January 2008 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

I think I’m going to buy one of each of these things.  I should live to be 150.  Wheeeeeeeeeee   tongue wink

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 08 January 2008 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

That or the excessive buildup of harmonic energies will incinerate you instantly..

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 08 January 2008 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3214
Joined  2007-05-18

“Wonga” is a great word. I just felt I needed to share that.

Posted: 08 January 2008 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

Wonga. Wonga wonga wonga.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 08 January 2008 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14
Robin Bobcat - 08 January 2008 07:44 AM

That or the excessive buildup of harmonic energies will incinerate you instantly..

I wonder if I can channel it like the Green Lantern.  hmmmmm

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 09 January 2008 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

“The Gray Lantern”?  I suppose it could work.  Especially if your first name is Earl.

And I still wonder about the people who bought those stereo knobs, thinking that they actually do anything noticeable to the sound.  Perhaps I should start selling balsa television screens, for a “unique viewing experience not to be accomplished with more traditional screens”.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

1 of 2