5 of 6
Peter Jackson To Produce “The Hobbit”
Posted: 02 October 2009 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-10-01

I can’t wait. I’ve been waiting for this for years. The Hobbit was what brought me into LOTR.

Posted: 02 October 2009 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

Yep! I’ve been so excited! grin

According to the Wikipedia page, Ron Pearlman is cast in an as-of-yet unknown role, as is Doug Jones. I know for sure that Ian McClellen, Andy Serkis, and Hugo Weaving are recast as Gandalf, Gollum, and Elrond. There’s also a ton on the production planning del Toro has:

Del Toro interprets The Hobbit as being set in a “world that is slightly more golden at the beginning, a very innocent environment” and the film would need to “[take] you from a time of more purity to a darker reality throughout the film, but [in a manner] in the spirit of the book”. He perceives the main themes as loss of innocence, which he likened to the experience of England after World War I, and greed, which he says Smaug and Thorin Oakenshield represent. Bilbo Baggins reaffirms his personal morality during the story’s third act as he encounters Smaug and the Dwarves’ greed. He added “The humble, sort of a sturdy moral fibre that Bilbo has very much represents the idea that Tolkien had about the little English man, the average English man”, and the relationship between Bilbo and Thorin would be the heart of the films. The Elves will also be less solemn.

Del Toro met concept artists John Howe and Alan Lee, Weta Workshop head Richard Taylor and make-up artist Gino Acevedo to keep continuity with the previous films, and he has also hired European comic book artists to complement Howe’s and Lee’s style on the trilogy, including Mike Mignola and Wayne Barlowe, who began work around April 2009. He has also considered looking at Tolkien’s drawings and using elements of those not used in the trilogy. As Tolkien did not originally intend for the magic ring Bilbo finds to be the all-powerful talisman of evil it is revealed to be in The Lord of the Rings, Del Toro will address its different nature in the story, but not so much as to draw away from the story’s spirit. Each Dwarf will need to look different from each other. Del Toro will redesign the Goblins and Wargs and the Mirkwood spiders will also look different from Shelob. Del Toro felt the Wargs had to be changed because “the classical incarnation of the demonic wolf in Nordic mythology is not a hyena-shaped creature”.

Guillermo del Toro noted that John Howe’s illustrations of Smaug “approximate” his vision of the character. Del Toro also wants the animals to speak so Smaug’s speech will not be incongruous, though he explained portraying the talking animals will be more about showing people can understand them. Smaug will not have a “snub Simian [mouth] in order to achieve a dubious lip-synch”, and Del Toro notes that such is the attention given to him that he will be the first design begun and the last to be approved. The director, whose Chinese zodiac sign is the Dragon, is fascinated by the mythological species and attempted to include one in Pan’s Labyrinth, but was unable to for budget reasons. His favourite cinematic dragons are Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty and Vermithrax Pejorative from Dragonslayer. He has also provided a foreword to Howe’s portfolio book Forging Dragons, where he discussed the dragon’s differing symbolism and roles in various cultures and legends.

Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis (who played Gandalf and Gollum, respectively), have met Del Toro, and ideally, he wants every actor (including Ian Holm, who played Bilbo in Rings) to reprise their roles, although he acknowledged some may be unable to because of health problems; he would also consider having Holm narrate the films. Del Toro, in an interview with BBC radio has confirmed that McKellen, Serkis and Hugo Weaving (who played Elrond) will reprise their roles. All 13 Dwarves and Beorn will appear, while Thorin’s father Thr

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 02 October 2009 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
ZeldaQueen - 02 October 2009 04:00 PM

According to the Wikipedia page, Ron Pearlman is cast in an as-of-yet unknown role. . .

My guess would be as Beorn.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 29 April 2010 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15029
Joined  2006-08-16

[url=http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/36836470/]First

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 29 April 2010 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

Eh, better that they take their time and do it right than try to rush it to get it done by 2011.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 29 April 2010 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Also, that’s *SIR* Peter Jackson to you…. He’s been knighted.

Also Also: Threadless.com has a very amusing Underground-themed Middle Earth shirt

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 29 April 2010 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

It figures that it would be scheduled for release just as the world is supposed to end… gulp  downer

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 29 April 2010 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
daveprime - 29 April 2010 07:07 PM

It figures that it would be scheduled for release just as the world is supposed to end… gulp  downer

Be sure to buy tickets to one of the earlier showings.

Signature 

Posted: 31 May 2010 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Del Toro’s quit.

WELLINGTON (AFP) - Mexican-born director Guillermo Del Toro has quit as director of the long-awaited “Hobbit” movies, citing delays in starting filming.

“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit”, I am faced with the hardest decision of my life,” Del Toro told “Lord of the Rings” fan website The One Ring on Monday.

“After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkiens Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures.”

The two movies, to be produced by New Zealand’s Peter Jackson, are to be filmed as a prequel to the hugely successful trilogy “The Lord of the Rings”, which were directed by Jackson.

Reports say filming has been held up because of uncertainty over the future of financially troubled studio MGM, which is co-distributing the film with New Line.

Del Toro, who was living in Wellington to work on the script and pre-production for the two films, said the delays in getting the film under way had led to mounting conflicts in his schedule.

Jackson said he was sad Del Toro would not direct the movies, but added he would continue working on the scripts for several more months.

“We understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyones control, has compromised his commitment to other long-term projects,” Jackson said.

“The bottom line is that Guillermo just didnt feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years.

Jackson said the producers would meet this week to ensure a smooth transition as they find a new director and he did not expect any disruption to pre-production work.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 31 May 2010 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15029
Joined  2006-08-16

I saw a story about the delays because of MGM late last week. It’s s shame to hear about Del Toro leaving now. But I can’t blame him, either. You can’t sit in limbo forever waiting on the film.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 31 May 2010 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8452
Joined  2006-02-28
Tah - 31 May 2010 03:58 PM

You can’t sit in limbo forever waiting on the film.

Why not?
We have to.
blank stare

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

5 of 6