Posted: 27 December 2007 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26043
Joined  2004-11-08
Accipiter - 21 December 2007 09:34 PM
Tah - 21 December 2007 09:25 PM
Maegan - 21 December 2007 08:11 PM

I prefer a del Toro movie to a Raimi one.

The only problem I would have with Raimi doing it is trying to figure out where Bruce Campbell and Ted Raimi (brother) would show up for their cameos.

As Smaug?  They could work together in a big pantomime-dragon suit.

Actually, I can sort of see Bruce Campbell as Bard. . .

Bard is a fairly prominent part.  I picture him more as the mayor of Laketown since that would be a more comical role for him and is much more cameo-ical, as well.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 30 January 2008 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2007-05-19

Lovely news. It’s irresitible to watch and read.

Signature 

Poems That Make You Laugh
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/ErnestSlyman

Posted: 31 January 2008 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5020
Joined  2007-05-26

I haven’t read the Hobbit, but I have red The Fellowship Of The ring and watched the movies, I hope they make this as good as LOTR.

Signature 

http://namelessland.myminicity.com/
Visit it, or you will be hurt.

Posted: 16 February 2008 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-02-16

I can’t believe it..I remember a right after the LOTR came out a trailer was bouncing around for the Hobbit…of course that was a hoax

Signature 

christmasWedding
ChristmasWedding-2008

Posted: 16 February 2008 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15031
Joined  2006-08-16

Somewhere in my random browsing since getting back I saw that Guillermo del Toro (sp?) was named director for The Hobbit.

I also read a (trusted by me) blog mentioning that the Tolkein Estate was suing New Line.  Seems they haven’t been paid anything yet for any of the LotR movies.  And part of that lawsuit also seems to be the stopping of any further movies.

Meaning, if the Estate wins the lawsuit, not only will they get the money owed them by New Line for the LotR movies, but The Hobbit will not be made.

I will provide links when I get caught up and get around to finding them again.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 16 February 2008 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

New Line seems to be having problems with getting sued over owed money regarding the Tolkein movies.  If I recall correctly, it was something about money owed that led Peter Jackson to break with them.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 27 April 2008 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

Mexican-born filmmaker Guillermo del Toro has been named as the director of the film version of JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit and its proposed sequel.

The films, planned for release in 2010 and 2011, will be prequels to the Lord of the Rings trilogy directed by New Zealand’s Peter Jackson.

“Contributing to the Lord of the Rings legacy is an absolute dream come true,” said del Toro, 43.

Jackson will produce the films, to be made back-to-back in New Zealand.

According to studio New Line, the first will be an adaptation of The Hobbit, the novel Tolkien published before his Lord of the Rings cycle.

The second will be an original story focusing on the 60 years between the book and the beginning of the Rings trilogy.

‘Magician’

Jackson and his wife and fellow executive producer Fran Walsh called del Toro “a cinematic magician who has never lost his childlike sense of wonder”.

“We have long admired Guillermo’s work and cannot think of a more inspired film-maker to take the journey back to Middle Earth,” they said in a statement.

Del Toro’s acclaimed fantasy Pan’s Labyrinth won three Oscars and three Baftas in 2007.

His latest film, a sequel to his 2004 comic book adaptation Hellboy, is released later this year.

The director’s involvement in the Hobbit films has been mooted for some time.

Earlier this month, however, del Toro said nothing was definite “until everything is signed and put on paper”.

Sir Ian McKellen has already expressed an interest in reprising his Oscar-nominated role as the wizard Gandalf.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7366375.stm
smile

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 27 April 2008 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15031
Joined  2006-08-16

I had heard he was going to do it, but it wasn’t “official” yet.  Glad to see it more or less official now (pending the ‘signed and put on paper’ bit).

Got a link, MM?

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 28 April 2008 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

So the second movie is going to be mostly original material?  I know some of what went on is explained in LotR, but I’m not sure if any is explained in any of the other assundry materials.

I’m assuming (hoping) the second movie will include information on the Wizards driving the Necromancer out of Mirkwood.  That should be cool.

Signature 

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 28 April 2008 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17
Tah - 28 April 2008 02:28 AM

Got a link, MM?

red face
Yes…

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 21 May 2008 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

Cinema Blend is reporting that Variety is reporting that Viggo Mortensen is being signed for the new movies (probably the second one since Aragorn doesn’t appear in The Hobbit).  Since Sir Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis are already in this is starting to sound pretty cool.

Signature 

Not me. - George Hrab

3 of 6