1 of 1
Unity Mitford and ‘Hitler’s baby’
Posted: 18 December 2007 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

Journalists on national newspapers get used to crank calls from people claiming the government is controlling their minds using radio waves or the Duke of Edinburgh is opening their post. So when Val Hann first called me at the Observer almost exactly five years ago, I was, I have to say, extremely sceptical about what she told me.

She had read an article I had written about Unity Mitford, the 1930s society beauty who became a groupie to Adolf Hitler and shot herself in Munich at the outbreak of war. Although the bullet entered her brain, Unity survived and lived out the rest of her short life as an invalid. But my caller claimed to have an extraordinary new angle on the story.

Val was a little nervous as she explained that her aunt Betty Norton had run a maternity home to the gentry in Oxfordshire during the war and that Unity Mitford had been one of her clients. Her aunt’s business, in the tiny village of Wigginton, had depended on discretion and she had told no one except her sister that Unity had had a baby. Her sister had passed the story on to her daughter Val.

I casually asked who she thought the father might be and there was a short silence on the other end of the line before she said: “Well, she always said it was Hitler’s.”

I must say I was tempted at this point to put down the phone. Christmas was coming and I was very busy. But for some reason I decided to carry on listening to this bizarre tale. Val didn’t sound mad, and she said she was merely passing on a family story.

The child was a boy, she believed, and he had been given up for adoption. She didn’t want any money; she just wanted me to look into it. So here was the prospect of Adolf Hitler’s love child alive somewhere in Britain - it was either the scoop of the century or completely bonkers. But it had to be worth a few hours of my time, even if it turned out to be a dead end.

Full story

For the Brits around here: “Hitler’s British Girl” will be shown on Channel 4 on Thursday 20 December at 9pm

Please video and put online smile

Image Attachments
Unity Mitford and Hitler.jpg
 Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 19 December 2007 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  374
Joined  2004-04-20

Baby Adolf

(kind of related, though not really)

Posted: 19 December 2007 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2007-11-22

Hitler’s nephew (and his nephew’s children…etc.) have been living in the Long Island and NY state areas for years.

Signature 

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.

Posted: 19 December 2007 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I always did feel a bit sorry for anybody related to him.  Talk about having a black sheep in the family.

“We don’t talk about my uncle much.  He used to steal cars and spent all his time in prison.”

“Oh?  Mine over-ran most of Europe and North Africa and was responsible for killing off millions of people.”

“Errrr. . .so, back to talking about my uncle, I guess. . .”

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 20 December 2007 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26043
Joined  2004-11-08

I had read somewhere, probably in American Heritage, that the Hitlers in New York were purposely not having children so as to end the immediate line.  Of course there will always be distant relatives out there that people can’t track down, but the closest familial line would die out with them.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 20 December 2007 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I think they have seen Bad Seed too much.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 20 December 2007 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Charybdis - 20 December 2007 03:06 PM

I had read somewhere, probably in American Heritage, that the Hitlers in New York were purposely not having children so as to end the immediate line.  Of course there will always be distant relatives out there that people can’t track down, but the closest familial line would die out with them.

The Shakers ought to recruit them.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 20 December 2007 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

Well they don’t have any kids
it doesn’t mean they planned it that way.

I and my brothers don’t have any kids
with me it’s because I don’t want the hassle
one of my brothers isn’t married
I can’t speak for the other.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff