1 of 2
Random Acts of Kindness or Directioned?
Posted: 07 December 2007 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

My older brother seldom speaks or writes to us.  Not because he doesn’t love us or because he lives a long distance away, but because he only speaks when he feels there is a purpose to what he has to say (unlike me and my sisters who ‘cluck’ all the time just for the noise of it)

He brought up an interesting idea a few days ago that really is one everyone thinks about occasionally even if only in a peripheral way.

Random Acts of Kindness…..

You can google this phrase and come up with a lot of foundations and groups ... even religious ones.  They are all over the net really.  The concept is a nice one that all of us (well nearly all) would agree is healthy.  But there seems to be a kind of contradiction in the concept as the phrase states it.  So I pulled Webster’s definition of a few words:

Random:  : a haphazard course

Image Attachments
random.jpg
 Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 07 December 2007 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

I’m slightly confused as to what you’re asking here (it happens a lot wink), but I’ll discuss random acts of kindness.
Thinking about it, there are two ways (to me) that the phrase itself can be interpreted.
1) Acts of kindness which are random to me.
2) Acts of kindness which are random.

Ok, that didn’t help.
What I mean by 1) is that, when I think about it, most of my acts of kindness aren’t random, per se. They are my acting on impulses from my morals, conscience or whatever. So, in that sense, they’re not random (although still kind acts).

With 2), I mean that the acts themselves are random - that I see the chance to do something for someone and do it - which mine are to an extent, although I’m likely to favour certain acts over others, due to time constrictions or whatever.

Did that make any sense?

As to your brother’s quote:

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 07 December 2007 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-10

I do apologise - that might be the most poorly written post I’ve ever typed out.
wink

Signature 

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 07 December 2007 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Not really Boo,  I understood it perfectly. 

Random acts of kindness are just that random,  done on the spur of the moment instead of being planned.  The random part comes in because they can be done any time, any place.  Any random act will have consequences.  In this case the consequence of your random act is a good deed or act of kindness.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 07 December 2007 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

I think I understand too:  but that confuses ‘cause’ and ‘effect’

Both of you appear to say - A ‘caused’ random need produces the ‘effect’ of directed kindness.  You deliver (thoughtful deed) the kindness because a need is presented in your path. 

so it’s the need that is random.  The act of kindness is not random but rather directed or on purpose.

What if it were the other way around:

Directed kindness causes other directed kindnesses?

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 07 December 2007 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-10

Well, like I said, I don’t really understand your question. wink

But yes, I suppose the randomness comes from the crossing of paths - me and the person with a specific need - rather than the act itself. But then, there’s not much point me (for example) holding the bus if there’s no-one who would otherwise miss it (in fact, that would be the opposite effect wink). That’s the way… well, almost everything works.

I’m not sure (again) what you mean by your last sentence. Sorry.

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2007 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

I think kind people do kind things, they just seem random to the person on the receiving end, in this sometimes very unkind world.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 07 December 2007 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Yes Boo, when my brother presented this I found it a bit confusing as well.  I think N E O is close to what I mean though (and I’m still a little confused too so I think my quest here is a kind of muddled contradiction. 

I guess I’m asking, why do acts have to be random.  As N E O said, this is a very cruel world so needs are everywhere and many are not random at all but ongoing needs.  I know that this is true, but I don’t begin my days always hunting out someone who might need something I can give either.  Yet, at other times I deliberately do just that.  Maybe because I need to be needed.

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2007 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

Neo is right, the act isn’t random to the one committing it, it’s random to the recipient.  You can have well organized and thought-out random acts of kindness.  The point is that the recipient wasn’t expecting it - it came out of the blue - and that makes it all the more special to them.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 December 2007 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08
hulitoons - 07 December 2007 04:12 PM

Yet, at other times I deliberately do just that.  Maybe because I need to be needed.

I just always put it down to your obvious insanity, as evidenced by your avatar. wink

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 December 2007 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
N E O - 07 December 2007 04:03 PM

I think kind people do kind things, they just seem random to the person on the receiving end, in this sometimes very unkind world.

Bingo.

TO be honest, does it matter about directioned or purposeful kindness? Really?

Does it make any difference to the old person you help up when they slip on ice? No. Does it matter to the lady with a pram which you help carry down a flight of stairs in a train station? Not one little bit.

You over-analyse things and you’ll confuse the issue. The philosophy of the thing is irrelevant. It’s just what you do.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 07 December 2007 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Yes and my brother always likes to stir the manuer!  Thank’s Renquist!

Signature 

1 of 2