1 of 4
Myspace hoax *UPDATED - Now with Indictments!*
Posted: 19 November 2007 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

According to the parents (who I saw on TV this morning), their daughter was duped into believing she was talking to a 16 yr old boy. After a short time, the “boy” changed his feelings about her and “he” along with several other myspacers started harassing the girl. It turns out, the “boy” was a family down the street who were trying to bait the girl into talking badly about their daughter. Apparently they had suspicions that the girl was already doing this.

Hopefully fixed link here.

**Update on Page 2, in post 24.**

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 19 November 2007 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

Meh.. Typical MySpace drama, if you ask me.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 19 November 2007 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15033
Joined  2006-08-16

Except for what Maegan doesn’t mention (it should say it in the article, but things are so slow for me right now that I can’t open it - I barely got this reply window to open):

This 13 year old girl (I think that age is right) was so distraught over this “boy” breaking up with her that she commited suicide.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 19 November 2007 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Ahh… OK… That’s noteworthy, then.

Still gonna put that up under ‘drama’, but taken to stupid extremes. *sigh*

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 20 November 2007 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Anyone smell a lawsuit in the making??

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 20 November 2007 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21
gray - 20 November 2007 05:52 AM

Anyone smell a lawsuit in the making??

Oh sure. But of course, instead of suing the other family like sane people, they’ll sue MySpace for not protecting their little girl, mark my words.

Signature 

Posted: 20 November 2007 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I read about this the other day, and everybody sounds dysfunctional. 

The father had been yelling at her a few minutes before she hanged herself.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 20 November 2007 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

The link doesn’t even linkify for me.  Am I just cursed, or is it not working for other people as well?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 20 November 2007 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

Heh, I was just trying it myself.  The link Maegan’s put up looks wrong in the first place (http://www.msn.msn.com?), and when I just tried to access the story by dropping the extra “msn” it’s come up with story not found.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 20 November 2007 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

Okay, this looks like the story in question.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 20 November 2007 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Thanks Smerk for fixing the link…I’m not sure why mine stopped working (I clicked it after I started the thread and it worked at first - I swear!).

The parents said they haven’t ruled out a civil suit against the people pretending to be the fake boy.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 05 December 2007 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2004-11-08

There’s a blog called “Megan Had It Coming” and the blogger outted themself as Lori Drew, the woman behind the Myspace hoax.  http://meganhaditcoming.blogspot.com/

Most people are expressing outrage in their comments, but there’s doubts as to whether or not this is actually the real Lori Drew.  There’s an investigation being launched. 

http://www.myfoxstl.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=5126947&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

1 of 4