6 of 56
Nambudripad’s Allergy Elimination Techniques, NAET.  Expensive quackery or miracle treatment?
Posted: 16 December 2007 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2005-07-08
EDHUK - 17 November 2007 03:25 AM

In order to allow for a more in depth look at NAET, and to take the discussion away from the Hoax Forum thread on LifeWave Patches, I’ve taken the liberty of starting this thread.

Hope some folks will follow over from the LifeWave thread.

Cheers,
Dave

I first posted on the Hoax Forum as a result of the LifeWave patches.

Since then, and many, many,  posts later, I have been drawn into starting new threads on different topics when they began to bog down the LifeWave thread discussion.

I continue to have every respect for people who search for answers to difficult problems. I can’t imagine life with an autistic child, but I can understand the need to leave no stone unturned in the search for a treatment or cure.

The common theme in the various threads, LifeWave patches, Harmony Chips, LifesMiracle, etc. is that ALL skeptics are somehow intent on trashing anyone with differing views.

May I suggest that this is a simplistic view. I, for one, would be thrilled to learn that NAET could help autistic children function more easily on a day to day basis.

I cannot abandon my basic desire to know the truth through questioning things that seem ‘too good to be true”.

To those who wish to share testimonials here, please do not take offence when you are questioned in depth. We can only hope to learn by such questioning.

Welcome the questions, as anyone with a genuine “new” treatment would.

If something is real, it will stand up to the test of scrutiny and be revealed as such.

Posted: 16 December 2007 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-08
wilberto - 14 December 2007 01:45 PM

...He did tell me that he went to a convention in CA about two weeks ago, met with Dr. Devi and she told him that NAET will be in Oprah Winfrey sometime in Mid 2008 so please stay tuned.  They are going to have some case studies and they will show some Autism cases in the show with before and after child and how NAET helped taking the allergies out of their bodies….

The implication here, and please correct me if I’m wrong, is that an appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show will legitamize NAET as a “true” scientific breakthough and the skeptical view will hence be brushed aside.

Ms Winfrey has certainly done very well in her career to date. She has brushed shoulders with the elite in all walks of life.

Currently she is lending her reputation to the Presidential campaign.

But, would it be fair to say that EVERY item that Oprah has covered on her show is legitimate?

Has she NEVER been fooled by a product, or a guest?

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/11/10-awesome-gadg.html

The Teslar watch.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/01/27/oprah.frey/index.html

James Frey “A Milion Little Pieces”.

In the search for new items to bring to her TV program what are the criteria for inclusion, and who does the finding?

A slew of researchers beaver away looking for something that will be, at the very least, highly interesting, maybe controversial, but at least worthy of being on the Oprah show.

Never lost in this process is the reality that advertisers pay for the show to be on in the first place.

So, I suggest that an appearance by Devi would certainly be interesting, but if Ms Winfrey gets caught up in the excitement of the wonderful “results” from the “research” carried out by Devi, she could find herself once again having to confront a scam artist live on TV in the future.

Just a suggestion to the researchers on the Oprah show, do your research well!

Posted: 16 December 2007 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-11-19

I have spent a great deal of time and money on things that don’t work. I go to the seminars, hoping for a new way to help my patients. I bring the technique home and usually discard it within a few weeks as worthless—like Lifewave which I tried to a miminal extent (no seminar). If you look and see what the Naet treatment includes, you will see that the worse thing that happens is that there are no good results. No harm is done. It is either helpful or nothing happens. Would I like to see double blind studies..of course. But if it turned out that Naet was of no value, I would like to then know how all of the patients who got helped got better. It is more than placebo in my opinion. There were some studies done, but these are all in house, so to speak, so I don’t think there is any point in bringing them up here. Naet on the face of it seems nearly ridiculous. I do it anyway because it brings results that other things didn’t. Remember, the people coming to me are usually coming by after exhausting the traditional medical approach.

Posted: 16 December 2007 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-11-19

and I am not amused when you refer to it as quackery. you are quite arrogant.

Posted: 16 December 2007 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-12-15

This is going to be my “last” words on this subject as I have already stated that, for me, Naet has given me a life,after the Medical Association failed me.  Having spent at least 15 years of my life either in mental institutions or bedridden with migraine headaches and a crappy digestive system, the only thing the medical society had to offer me was useless prescriptions for pain and indigestion because, organically there was nothing wrong with me, all blood tests, etc. were normal.  However, if this was how “normal” felt they were essentially telling me to stop my whining and get on with my life.  It wasn’t until I heard about Dr. Shi, through word of mouth, that I finally found someone who at least offered me some hope that my symptoms could be improved.  She certainly did not say that she could “cure” me but at the time any relief would have been appreciated.  At no time was my life in danger, in fact,  she encourages all of her patients to continue going to their medical doctors and/or psychiatrists.  In my case, I still see my psychiatrist about 3x per year and am on a continual dosage of 100 mg. per day of Paxil for my bipolar disorder, which has now been stabilized, and my medical doctor, who I just saw last week for blood work, told me that a physical every 2 years was sufficient as my blood sugar levels which were dangerously close to full blown diabetes last year were now normal and were directly attributed to the treatments done on me by Dr. Shi.  I could go on and on about the many people I have met who rely on Dr. Shi for treatment of their pain, etc…...many of our local politicians see her on a regular basis.  One woman who was so allergic to fish that even if she smelled it she would have to be rushed to emergency, no longer has any adverse reactions.  If I had read this post before meeting Dr. Shi I would also say that this is too good to be true and discount her as a quack or at the very least a “misguided” healer.  However, this is now almost 6 years later and none of my symptoms have returned.  I only go once per month for what I call a “tune-up” for my mood disorder.  One final word…..Dr. Shi is not a salesperson; if she were, she would surely starve.  Not once has she asked me to make “follow up” appointments or told me that I would have to see her for x number of visits before my condition would improve.  She simply says that if you are still experiencing symptoms then make an appointment and in my case, which is unusual, it took 6-8 treatments before I started to feel a major improvement…..many others feel a marked improvement after 2 or 3.  Sure it would be nice if this technique was approved by the medical association but I’m afraid that I would still be lying in bed or possibly dead if I had to wait for their stamp of approval.  I originally stated that I happened upon this forum by googling for the Naet website and I knew full well that I was putting myself “out there” with my comments.  However, I am confident that some day, maybe not in my lifetime, this treatment will become a valuable asset for use in treating patients for whom there was once very little to offer in the way of a better life.  Until that day I will continue to tell others that have lost hope to make an appointment with Dr. Shi!

Posted: 16 December 2007 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-08

“...continual dosage of 100 mg. per day of Paxil for my bipolar disorder, which has now been stabilized,...”

Your testimonial makes fascinating reading and, as an ex psychiatric nurse, I sympathize with your condition. I do find it interesting to read that an antidepressant stabilised your bipolar disorder.

Nevertheless, what we have is just that, a testimonial.

Despite your wonderful results, it is too simplistic to assert that your visits to an alternative treatment provider caused the effects you describe.

Posted: 17 December 2007 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21
daveb - 16 December 2007 06:42 PM
Smerk - 16 December 2007 08:06 AM

Daveb, in my opinion you are getting very close to breaking forum rule 2 with your last post.  Consider yourself warned.

Whatever. That’s very interpretive.

Dave.. Smerk is a Moderator.. It’s her interpretation of them that matters.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 17 December 2007 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

Thanks Robin.  I was going to get round to saying that. wink

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 17 December 2007 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Beware the bite of the dragon. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 December 2007 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2007-11-22
Robin Bobcat - 17 December 2007 10:03 AM
daveb - 16 December 2007 06:42 PM
Smerk - 16 December 2007 08:06 AM

Daveb, in my opinion you are getting very close to breaking forum rule 2 with your last post.  Consider yourself warned.

Whatever. That’s very interpretive.

Dave.. Smerk is a Moderator.. It’s her interpretation of them that matters.

...and this changes my opinion? I’m shivering.

Signature 

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.

Posted: 17 December 2007 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-12-14

This will be my last post as well. If you want more informaiton feel free to read the report publicated by the Autism Research Institute regarding Biomedical treatments for Autism at http://www.autism.com/treatable/adams_biomed_summary.pdf
In the last page there is a summary of the different Biomedical/Non-drug treatments and it is listing NAET. This report was done by Dr. James B. Adams a person highly recognized for Autism research.

The report says that 44% of the people treated using NAET got better and 52% saw no improvement.  Yes this is a very low number but the Gluten free diet (most popular biomedical intervention method) has a 65% sucess and the other methods have about the same percentage at NAET.  This is a report done by one of the most important Autism research institutions and was conducted in march of 2007.

All I can say is that I have a son that have drastically improved after we started this treatment!!!

6 of 56