4 of 56
Nambudripad’s Allergy Elimination Techniques, NAET.  Expensive quackery or miracle treatment?
Posted: 05 December 2007 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2006-02-25

Another one claims to have seen NAET’s effectiveness.  I saw that it was complete BS with my own eyes, at least as far as one quack vet was concerned.  So who’s right?

Here it is, 24 years after it was supposedly discovered, and yet NAET hasn’t made it out of the folklore of quackery and onto the pages of any respected medical journal, through any independent studies published in a peer reviewed journal.  If NAET were as effective as Anotherone claims, surely by now it would have gained some recognition by real scientists.

Methinks Anotherone is in serious denial.

Anotherone, what kind of a “practice” do you have, and what are your qualifications?  I’m quite curious.

Posted: 05 December 2007 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-11-19

Ok, Joel-I have a doctorate in chiropractic, liscenced acupunturist, post graduate diplomate in neurology, a masters in biochemistry and certified in NAET among other things…and what is your scientific background that allows you to be so dismissive? where did you learn that watching one quack vet gives you the right to dismiss a technique? where do they teach that Joel? and I am not in denial..I know you have no interest in what works..I’m just on this message board to let off some steam and have some fun..you think that a few people pretending to be scientific, whatever that means to you really makes a difference? the marketplace will bear out the truth..it will take awhile, just like things life Lifewave will fall away, things that work will continue..so keep relying on what you think is true and see where that ultimately gets you..I prefer to be open to what works and continue to learn…how’s my grammar cat? that is whats important, eh? find some pathetic way to feel superior to others..I hope you’re a young person so you have time to grow up..I know more about meow than you could even guess…

Posted: 06 December 2007 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21
Anotherone - 06 December 2007 03:13 AM

I have a doctorate in chiropractic, liscenced acupuncturist, post graduate diplomate in neurology, a masters in biochemistry

Excellent! We would, of course, like to know where, and when you got these degrees, to establish the validity of your claims. After all, anyone can get ‘degrees’ from a diploma mill, but gaining the amount of learning you claim from accredited sources would indicate a life’s work of learning and study, which we should praise you for. This should be no trouble for you to provide.

...how’s my grammar cat? that is whats important, eh? find some pathetic way to feel superior to others..I hope you’re a young person so you have time to grow up..I know more about meow than you could even guess…

Ahh.. Ad Hominem.. Always nice to see personal insult come up in a forum.

In response I grant you the following, in order:

Still apalling. I find it hard to believe any legitimate body of science, medicine or education would allow anyone to graduate with an apparent fifth-grade grasp of sentence structure, punctuation, and capitalization. Stranger things have happened, however. I shall attribute it perhaps to your unfamiliarity with the medium, and thank all gods that are listening that you don’t post in TXT.

No, what is important is to enjoy life, unburdened by the squawking of assorted turkeys. A decent lunch is also important.

I don’t need to be superior to anyone. Always will there be greater and lesser persons than yourself, and comparing just leads to problems. Some people just can’t help their problems, and some people should be looked up to and admired. Sadly, you are not in the latter catagory.

Again, personal insult degrades your own position in a debate, making you look foolish and insincere. My age is none of your business, and I assure you, I have no plans of acting my age. If you want to engage in a spot of insult-slinging, I will be all too happy to oblige, but bear in mind that it will seriously impact your credibility.

Insulting someone on the basis of their ‘sig’? Surely you are joking. You may as well make fun of my forum name or avatar. I do find it notable that you are *not* commenting on the quotation. Can it be that you are insuficiently grounded in even basic Latin, such as is required for most medical degrees?

In conclusion, I find it interesting that you choose *me* out of all the others who have presented scathing evidence against your claims. Can it be that you have nothing to refute their statements, and so choose to attack someone who does not present such troublesome words? Rest assured, the cat’s paws may look soft and fuzzy, but have a set of claws well-suited to dispatching birds whose song he finds annoying.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 06 December 2007 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-25

liscenced acupunturist, post graduate diplomate in neurology

Being guilty of the occasional typo myself, I do not dismiss somebody’s arguments due to typos.  Still, as pointed out by Robin, the quoted portion raises serious questions as to whether you have the degrees you claim.  How, for example, can someone get through acupuncturist licensing without knowing how to spell “licensed,” “acupuncturist,” or “diploma”?

It also raises a question about how rigorous and careful your thought process is that has led you to the conclusion that NAET works on some level other than the placebo effect, the Hawthorne effect, post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, wishful thinking, etc.

and what is your scientific background that allows you to be so dismissive?

I am an electrical engineer and a patent attorney.  It’s part of my job to analyze, understand, assess, and help protect new technologies.  I do it every day.  Occasionally, it’s part of my job to detect as BS the “technology” that somebody tries to sell to one of my clients.

No, we skeptics on this board put no weight in statements like, “Yeah, it’s outside of mainstream science, and I can’t explain how it works, but I’ve seen firsthand its effectiveness,” especially when coming from somebody who has trouble spelling the degrees/licenses he claims to hold and who has a financial interest in peddling this stuff.

Posted: 06 December 2007 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-11-19

I have no defense for my spelling except typing late at night in a dark room, trying not to wake anyone. I understand it doesn’t support credibility, but let’s face it-mine was pretty low on this board anyway. So now I am left with offering years of experience and being rebuffed with the placebo arguement (can’t imagine how that can be in some of the examples given earlier), my credentials are doubted and my spelling and grammar criticized. Not exactly what I had in mind when I came on here. So I surrender to the board. I will continue doing what I can for others and you will continue doing what you do. I think I held in there pretty well. Imagine, if you can, that I am telling the truth. I see people all day for years and watch this work. I come on here for some spirited debate over the facts that I have to offer. Why would I want to go further. I don’t. No hard feelings; I kind of liked you guys in a weird sort of way. I do admit to being a bit lonely at times (raising a brood by myself and seeing patients the rest of the time)—anyway, best of health.

Posted: 06 December 2007 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-25
Anotherone - 07 December 2007 12:46 AM

I come on here for some spirited debate over the facts that I have to offer.

We can’t have a spirited debate because you haven’t offered any “facts” that we can verify.  The studies by Nambudripad can’t be considered “facts” because of their inherent non-objectivity and bias, and Nambudripad’s apparent penchant for . . .well . . . creative truth-bending (more on that later). 

Some anonymous guy on the Internet saying that he has personally seen NAET reduce skin rash is about as much a “fact” for us to debate as some anonymous guy saying on the Internet that he was abducted by a UFO, or when my friend says that her husband burned her at the stake in a previous life, or when my girlfriend’s boss described to me once how he self-levitated so high that he hit his head on the ceiling of his hotel room (true story).  Ok, you say it happened.  We weren’t there.  Over that we can share a beer, but not much of a debate. 

And hey, if you’re in the L.A. area, I’ll buy you a beer anytime.

Thanks for sticking around though.  You hung in there longer, and with more sincerity but not much more content, than any of the LifeWave supporters.

Cheers, and be well.

Joel

Posted: 06 December 2007 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-25

NAMBUDRIPAD

Posted: 07 December 2007 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Personally, I wanna know whatever happened to ‘stopping the rambling’. Getting info on exactly where he got those degrees would be nice, too.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 08 December 2007 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2005-07-08
Anotherone - 07 December 2007 12:46 AM

I have no defense for my spelling except typing late at night in a dark room, trying not to wake anyone. I understand it doesn’t support credibility, but let’s face it-mine was pretty low on this board anyway. So now I am left with offering years of experience and being rebuffed with the placebo arguement (can’t imagine how that can be in some of the examples given earlier), my credentials are doubted and my spelling and grammar criticized. Not exactly what I had in mind when I came on here. So I surrender to the board. I will continue doing what I can for others and you will continue doing what you do. I think I held in there pretty well. Imagine, if you can, that I am telling the truth. I see people all day for years and watch this work. I come on here for some spirited debate over the facts that I have to offer. Why would I want to go further. I don’t. No hard feelings; I kind of liked you guys in a weird sort of way. I do admit to being a bit lonely at times (raising a brood by myself and seeing patients the rest of the time)—anyway, best of health.

Another fine reply in the style of someone in junior high.

“...and being rebuffed with the placebo arguement (can’t imagine how that can be in some of the examples given earlier).

What a pity you STILL don’t appear to comprehend the placebo discussion.

It is far too simplistic to state that a patient came to you with a skin condition, then it went away like magic therefore it MUST have been your treatment that did the trick.

Every day my alarm clock rings and, like clockwork (excuse the pun) the sun comes up, therefore my alarm clock causes the sun to rise.

Skin problems are notoriously difficult to treat, as you well know, and have a multitude of factors involved in their occurence and disappearance.

You may feel totally confident in believing you “cured” some patients, however, as common sense guides us, you have been suckered into a scam “science”, it CAN’T be the NAET. You have to look for other reasons.

That you feel comfortable continuing in your “work” and in receiving payment for “services rendered” is a question for you and your “God” or your conscience, whichever is appropriate.

“I kind of liked you guys in a weird sort of way.”

Likewise you, but not enough to condone your scam practices however much faith you place in them.

Posted: 14 December 2007 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-12-14

I have a beautiful autistic son, his name is Wesley. He is 2 years old and was diagnosed at 17 months (we’re in shock because he was so young). We spent thousands of dollars on a few months on speech therapy, floor time, ABA, you name it we tried it. One day we met with a board member of the Autism Society of GA and she introduced NAET to me and my wife. We read the book and I have to be honest I had y reservations about this and couldn

Posted: 14 December 2007 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

. . .

Well then, welcome to the forums.

You’ll have to understand we’re a bit skeptical of the various claims put forward by others. Of course, it’s always good to have someone with a different perspective, who isn’t trying to ‘sell’ the item in dispute via flimflam, a weak grasp of science, or outright lies. We will appreciate hearing your story, and would love the chance to analyze any new information you care to share with us.

A good place to start would be the names and credentials of these doctors you have been seeing.  This is so we can check to make sure that they are properly licensed and accredited to perform medical procedures of such a drastic nature. Since this is a discussion of a potential abuse of a patient’s trust, we should also include those of the doctor who diagnosed your son, as a concrete diagnosis of autism is exceptionally rare in one so young. The name of whichever medical group provided your son’s care and diagnosis would also be good.

We like verifiable sources, around here, it makes us happy.

Signature 

4 of 56