2 of 3
*UPDATED* Russia sect holes up in cave to await end of world sometime in May next year.
Posted: 16 November 2007 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15032
Joined  2006-08-16

At least 30 members of a Russian doomsday cult have barricaded themselves in a remote cave to await the end of the world and are threatening to commit suicide if police intervene, officials and media said on Thursday.

They are simple Christians,” a local priest, Father Georgy, told NTV television station. “They say: ‘The church is doing a bad job, the end of the world is coming soon and we are all saving ourselves’.”

Obviously the church is doing a bad job.  It never taught the doctrine that killing yourself is a sin and you will go to hell if you commit suicide.  No ifs, ands, or buts.

rolleyes

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 16 November 2007 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

I’m thinking it wont’ be too long before someone in there needs a shower real bad.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 16 November 2007 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
gray - 17 November 2007 02:46 AM

I’m thinking it wont’ be too long before someone in there needs a shower real bad.

This is Russia. You sure about that?

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 17 November 2007 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14
Renquist - 17 November 2007 03:06 AM
gray - 17 November 2007 02:46 AM

This is Russia. You sure about that?

Ummmm.  ok I could be mistaken.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 01 April 2008 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16

Members of Russian cult trickle out of cave

MOSCOW - Fourteen more members of a Russian cult that has been holed up in a cave for months awaiting the end of the world emerged Tuesday after melting snows caused more of their hillside cave to collapse, officials said.

The group, which included two children aged 8 and 14, were in satisfactory condition, regional emergency spokesman Dmitry Yeskin told The Associated Press. They were moved to a nearby house where the group’s leader, self-declared prophet Pyotr Kuznetsov, has been living.

Yeskin said negotiators were trying to persuade the remaining 14 to come out of the underground hillside shelter, which was built in the Penza region, about 400 miles southeast of Moscow, last fall.

Vice Governor Oleg Melnichenko said more of the cave had collapsed around dawn Tuesday, and cult members told emergency officials that they had had a divine vision overnight that instructed them to leave.

On Friday, seven other cult members emerged as melting spring snows caused part of the shelter to cave in, sparking fears that the entire structure could collapse.

The group will remain in a so-called prayer house in the nearby village of Nikolskoye until Orthodox Easter, which is April 27, Melnichenko said.

Waiting for the end of the world?
A total of 35 people entered the cave in early November to await the end of the world, which they said would happen in May. They told authorities that they would detonate gas canisters if police tried to remove them by force.

Yeskin said the group that came out Tuesday handed over three rifles.

Authorities have repeatedly enlisted the help of priests from the Orthodox Church in an effort to persuade the group to leave, communicating mainly through a small chimney pipe that poked up through the snowy hillside.

Some of the cultists had indicated last week they might leave the cave on Orthodox Easter.

Kuznetsov has been charged with setting up a religious organization associated with violence and officials later said they had seized literature that included what appeared to be extremist rhetoric. He had been confined to a psychiatric hospital since last November, but was brought Nikolskoye late last month to help in negotiations.

An engineer from a devout family, Kuznetsov, who goes by the title of Father Pyotr, declared himself a prophet several years ago. He left his family and established the True Russian Orthodox Church and recruited followers in Russia and Belarus.

His followers were not allowed to watch television, listen to the radio or handle money, Russian media have reported.

I like how they picked a nice, sturdy cave to wait out the end of the world.  The nice, sturdy kind that collapses from snow melt-off.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 01 April 2008 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

You know, the perfect April Fools gag would have been to have stood outside the cave mouth dressed as Satan and as they came out shouted, “PITIFUL FOOLS! NOW YOUR SOULS SHALL BE MINE! MORRR-HA-HA-HA-HA!”

Posted: 01 April 2008 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Come to think of it, perhaps that’s why they’re really coming out now, the cave-in business is just to save face.

1st. Cultist: “Okay, gyather round peyople, the specyial day has yarrived. We shyall now open the specyial message that our divine and holy leader, great father of our family, the blessed Father Pyotr said was only to be opened on the morning of this day!”

2nd. Cultist: “Oh praise be to the Lyord that we shyall finally learn the yultimate secret! Tell us, what does it say?!”

1st. Cultist: “Ah-pry-ell Fow-oll! Ahpryell Fowoll? I wonder what yit could mean?”

Posted: 01 April 2008 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21
David B. - 01 April 2008 09:46 PM

You know, the perfect April Fools gag would have been to have stood outside the cave mouth dressed as Satan and as they came out shouted, “PITIFUL FOOLS! NOW YOUR SOULS SHALL BE MINE! MORRR-HA-HA-HA-HA!”

LOL

Too D*&^ Funny!!

That, I would pay to see.
(Of course it did say they came out with rifles...hmmmm. I wonder if they also had ‘blessed’ ammunition?) hmmm

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 01 April 2008 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Vice Governor Oleg Melnichenko said more of the cave had collapsed around dawn Tuesday, and cult members told emergency officials that they had had a divine vision overnight that instructed them to leave.

I wonder if this divine vision involved a bunch of cold icky snowmelt dropping down on the people while they slept?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 01 April 2008 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

A ton or so of cold, wet mud falling down upon one’s head is likely to promote divine inspiration, all right!  big surprise

(...wonders what flavor cookie one would serve to survivors of a doomsday cult the day after they come to their senses…)

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 01 April 2008 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16
daveprime - 02 April 2008 01:19 AM

(...wonders what flavor cookie one would serve to survivors of a doomsday cult the day after they come to their senses…)

Is there such a thing as a Kool-Aid cookie? wink

Signature 

2 of 3