1 of 3
*UPDATED* Russia sect holes up in cave to await end of world sometime in May next year.
Posted: 16 November 2007 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

At least 30 members of a Russian doomsday cult have barricaded themselves in a remote cave to await the end of the world and are threatening to commit suicide if police intervene, officials and media said on Thursday.

“They have covered the entrance and refuse to come out and are threatening to blow themselves up,” an official in the local prosecutor’s office told Reuters by telephone. “They threaten to detonate a gas tank and blow themselves up.”

The cult members, who include 29 adults and four children, are hidden inside a snow-covered hillside in the Penza region of central Russia. A Penza police spokeswoman said they had moved into the dug-out on November 7.

“No one wants to take on the responsibility of provoking them ... because our information is that there are children among them,” said the official.

They are thought to have taken food and fuel supplies in with them and Russian television pictures from the scene showed smoke or steam coming out of a hole in the snow-covered ravine where it was built.

A police patrol was guarding the area to prevent anyone provoking them.

“They are simple Christians,” a local priest, Father Georgy, told NTV television station. “They say: ‘The church is doing a bad job, the end of the world is coming soon and we are all saving ourselves’.”

Media reports said the cult members believed the world would end sometime in May next year. Police expected them to emerge when their supplies ran out.

After decades of state-enforced atheism under Soviet rule, many Russians and other ex-Soviet nationals have come under the influence of homegrown and foreign sects.

Many Russians have refused new passports and taxpayers’ personal identification numbers, saying the figures contained “satanic” combinations of numbers.

Izvestia newspaper said the leader of the cult, Pyotr Kuznetsov, had been detained by police. It said he was a 43-year-old who had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and that in the last few months he had been sleeping in a coffin.

Police took Kuznetsov to the cave to persuade his followers to come out but without success, said the newspaper.

Source

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 16 November 2007 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14

Now if we could only convince Sept 12 and his bunch to join them.  I’m sure they would have a ball arguing over the exact date of the end of the world.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 16 November 2007 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
gray - 16 November 2007 11:14 AM

Now if we could only convince Sept 12 and his bunch to join them.  I’m sure they would have a ball arguing over the exact date of the end of the world.

Well Sept12th’s cult’s Kenya chapter DID hole themselves up at the first end of the world (wasn’t that fun? I got soooo drunk that night and woke up with an apocalyptic hangover). Then the leaders got arrested for inciting panic.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 16 November 2007 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

I love how the Russian Police’s response is “Well they’ve got to run out of food sometime. Get the vodka, Dmitri. We may be a while…”

If the Russian Army was in charge they’d just gas them.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 16 November 2007 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
Renquist - 16 November 2007 05:56 PM

I love how the Russian Police’s response is “Well they’ve got to run out of food sometime. Get the vodka, Dmitri. We may be a while…”

Unless the cult leaders brought along the special Kool Aid.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 16 November 2007 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I wonder what their reasoning is regarding taking shelter a whole half year before the world is supposed to end.  It’s going to get rather unpleasant sealed up in that cave all that time.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 16 November 2007 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27
Accipiter - 16 November 2007 07:14 PM

I wonder what their reasoning is regarding taking shelter a whole half year before the world is supposed to end.  It’s going to get rather unpleasant sealed up in that cave all that time.

And also, now everybody knows about the safest place…

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 16 November 2007 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 16 November 2007 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10
Accipiter - 16 November 2007 07:53 PM

Of course, they probably had quite a scuffle…

I read that as souffle...
LOL

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 16 November 2007 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Boo - 16 November 2007 08:14 PM
Accipiter - 16 November 2007 07:53 PM

Of course, they probably had quite a scuffle…

I read that as souffle...
LOL

LOL

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 16 November 2007 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

“Hello, and welcome to another edition of Bob’s Doomsday Cult & Baked Goods Show.  Today we’re going to learn how to prepare apocalyptic pancakes in celebration of the imminent End of the World brought about by homosexuals.  We’ll also be showing you how to prepare a tasty black pudding using all the left-over carcases of the Unbelievers.  Lastly, Jill will demonstrate the correct way of cleaning that pesky atomic radiation that keeps building up on your mixing bowls.”

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 16 November 2007 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

I warned a couple of friends at work that the world will end at some point in May.
They said they’ll be sure to get everything in order by then…

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

1 of 3