1 of 1
China recycling used condoms as cheap hair bands
Posted: 14 November 2007 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

Hmm, i dunno. Sounds like a scaremonger news article. Who is to say they arent using new condoms that they got from a sex ed handout? Where do you ‘collect’ used condoms?

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5j0DcqENG9L1Z3TnL94DJdaJuhXfA

China recycling used condoms as cheap hair bands
1 day ago

BEIJING (AFP)

Posted: 14 November 2007 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

Mr. Dong.  LOL

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 14 November 2007 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
N E O - 14 November 2007 03:29 PM

Mr. Dong.  LOL

Or his cousin, Mr. Wang.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 14 November 2007 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

So…where would one harvest used condoms?  Maybe floating condom reefs?  I can understand that there might be a process to recycle rubber (of the non-condom cariety) into something that can be made into elastic bands.  I just have my doubts that it’s actually from a USED condom.  I can’t remember which of the science channels it was, but I saw how condoms are made.  Condoms with defects get discarded.  If the condom recycling is actually occuring, maybe the defect condoms are being used?

I don’t know any girl who would put unprotected rubber into their hair to control it.  It breaks the hair shaft, and often gets tangled b/c it won’t let go.  Those sentences look funny to me.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 14 November 2007 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I’m sure it’s certainly not healthy, but can you really catch an STD from a condom that’s dried out and been sitting around a few days?  I thought they required the warmth of a body to stay alive.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 14 November 2007 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I’m skeptical of the “catching STDs” aspect of this story too

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 14 November 2007 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15034
Joined  2006-08-16

Maybe the workers in the factory have to bring their work supplies in themselves.  Then they get paid based on how much of the product they actually can make.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 14 November 2007 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Or the factory could be built under a brothel.

All the same, it would be very difficult to catch any sort of STD that way.  HIV, for example, dies almost instantly on contact with oxygen in the air.  So unless the hair-bands are still all goopy when people are putting them on, there shouldn’t be a problem.

Also, the factory workers would be much more at risk than anybody else would be.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 15 November 2007 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6941
Joined  2005-10-21

Further, the thin latex of most condoms breaks down pretty rapidly. The hair bands would be almost worthless after about a week’s exposure to the air and would snap quickly.

I’m thinking that yes, this falls under ‘scaremongering’.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsibility to disprove your claims, but rather your responsibility to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 15 November 2007 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Robin Bobcat - 15 November 2007 06:50 AM

Further, the thin latex of most condoms breaks down pretty rapidly. The hair bands would be almost worthless after about a week’s exposure to the air and would snap quickly.

Well, they are supposed to be super-cheap hairbands.  So that part at least I could believe.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 15 November 2007 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-08-17

This a year old joke story.

http://ahsoon.net/2006/10/09/recycled-hairband-from-china-made-of-condom/

Posted: 01 December 2007 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-12-01

I’ve lived in China for 4 years and I speak Chinese well enough to have heard and understood this report on Chinese television.

This story is true. I just cut open one of my own hair bands and found a condom inside. See pictures here:
http://iragerobbins.multiply.com/photos/album/1/Condom_Hairband

This story has already been verified by several news agencies in China and abroad, and now has been verified by me. One thing I want to say straight off is that it doesn’t matter whether or not these condoms are used or simply defective ones that are being repurposed. The very idea puts me off, and since there’s no way to tell one way or the other, why not simply chuck the things out?

A couple of other points need to be addressed. First, the obvious idea that it would cost more to gather the condoms and recycle them than one would earn by selling the finished product. Likely, this is not exactly true: when Westerners think of “recycling” they think of a long involved process by which disease is eliminated and the final product does not resemble whatever you began with. In China, cutting corners is a national pastime, and it is quite possible that every shortcut has been taken in the production of these things in order to save a few cents. Proper recycling and sanitizing equipment and facilities (not to mention health inspections) cost money, and it is simpler to cut this step out. If indeed these are made of recycled condoms, it is very likely that they were merely washed.

Case in point: I used to smoke the cheapest menthol cigarettes in town. Then a couple of times, I came across my brand, but completely fake (you could tell by examining the printing on the package, and the taste was horrid). Now, these cigarettes are so cheap that it would seem ridiculous to fake them, because the profit would be literally mere cents. However, when one doesn’t care AT ALL about quality, there is a decent amount of money to be made.

Second, I must reiterate that the Chinese national pastime is making money and cutting corners. No matter what the consequences. I would like to direct your attention to the recent rash of lead-painted toys and so on, but those are not my primary examples because those are exports. Nay, they also do this kind of thing to their own people. I have consumed fake beer containing formaldehyde, I purchased cheap Bandaids which were made using waste gauze from hospital garbage. The gauze had been washed and then dyed yellow to give the impression that it was a “medicated” Bandaid. I was here when dozens of babies died of malnutrition in the south because someone was producing and selling fake dried milk formula that consisted of little more than potato flour, and in my city recently, there was a bug hullabaloo over a couple of dumpling restaurants which were incorporating shredded CARDBOARD into the filling for their dumplings in order to save on meat.

I’ve lived here for a long time. I’m engaged to a Chinese person. I’ve lived in several different cities, met all kinds of people, and I am deeply involved in Chinese society. I research my news and I am aware of the biases in Chinese reporting, and the points of view that overseas news agencies report with. I do not draw my conclusions from a small, insignificant sampling of people and situations. With that being said, I find it hard NOT to believe most of the horrible things I read about China.

1 of 1