2 of 3
NSA monitors all internet traffic, ISP complies by facilitating them in-house?
Posted: 12 November 2007 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Due to the nature of some of the research I did when I was in college, my professors warned me to only do the research on university computers.  I also had to keep a note in my pocket signed by my professor stating what I was working on and giving contact information in case someone didn’t believe me.  The threat of misunderstanding or misusing information is very real.  Just because you aren’t doing anything wrong, doesn’t mean it can’t get misunderstood and you won’t be targeted.  Hence why there must be checks on the system.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 12 November 2007 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  421
Joined  2006-05-29

And then there are places like this forum, dedicated to use as many marked words and search terms in order to over load the systems (both computers and fellow forumgoers).  cheese
You think they’re filtering us out along with the rest of the conspiracy nuts, or would this mean we’re warranted closer attention?  smile
If the latter, I’m almost certain that this post gets read by those conspirophobes (Yes, I mean you, don’t you think its strange I know you. It’s a conspiracy against you), considering the topic. Do I care? yes. Do I take care? Mh, just read my signature.  tongue wink

[color=gray][Paranoid amnesiac: I keep forgetting they

Signature 

-Paranoid amnesiac: I keep forgetting they’re after me-
Vanquished Illusions and Desire wear Techno-Organic Wings

Posted: 12 November 2007 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

I don’t really worry about these things, because I have faith in MI5.

CIA and Homeland security are so stupid that they really would haul anyone in who rented the wrong book or Googled the wrong words. MI5 sees it and goes “Now, chaps, is this fellow a real threat?” and dismiss it as poppycock and go back to gin hour in the bar.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 12 November 2007 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Renquist - 12 November 2007 06:24 PM

I don’t really worry about these things, because I have faith in MI5.

CIA and Homeland security are so stupid that they really would haul anyone in who rented the wrong book or Googled the wrong words. MI5 sees it and goes “Now, chaps, is this fellow a real threat?” and dismiss it as poppycock and go back to gin hour in the bar.

Nah, they just hand your case to a double-O agent with a license to kill.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 12 November 2007 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

And an Aston Martin.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 12 November 2007 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

I would be surprised if I am not on some list somewhere, in college and high school if I had to do a term paper it was always done on nuclear power or some related subject.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 12 November 2007 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

I am sure I am on some list, given that I partake in a network of classified satellite trackers.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 12 November 2007 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10
N E O - 12 November 2007 08:09 PM

I would be surprised if I am not on some list somewhere, in college and high school if I had to do a term paper it was always done on nuclear power or some related subject.

Yah, I would be on a list somewhere had I not done my research on campus from public computers.  I actually had to write a 10+ pages (single spaced damn it) paper from the terrorists point of view as a proposal for an attack on the US.  It had to be completely plausible and ideally (this was the “learning bit”) use the Department of Homeland Securities weaknesses against them.  Mine had to do with pipelines and it was horribly easy and would cause immense amounts of damage and monetary loss.  Lets just say that AZ so should not have a pipeline map online and Google Earth was extremely useful in conjunction with it.  It’s kind of scary how easy it is.  I mean, if I had the right materials I could go out and do it tomorrow. 

Anyways, there was an educational purpose to this.  It was a red/blue exercise, so after this project we got someone elses proposal and then had to write another long proposal in how to protect against their attack and similar future attacks (blue team).  I got to protect our ports, which is sooo much harder than it sounds.  The port security is horrendous.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 12 November 2007 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Razela - 13 November 2007 01:40 AM

It’s kind of scary how easy it is.  I mean, if I had the right materials I could go out and do it tomorrow. . . .I got to protect our ports, which is sooo much harder than it sounds.  The port security is horrendous.

Heh. . .now you know how I’ve felt sometimes.  “I’m supposed to guard what?  With what???”

There is one great and invaluable advantage that the security people have against terrorists, though:  while it may be not too difficult to do something (and don’t be thinking that it’s really likely to be all that easy, as chance and ill fortune have a habit of complicating such things in ways that never show up beforehand on paper), it’s a whole lot more difficult to do something and get away afterwards.  That’s what stops 99.999% of potential crimes from ever happening; it might be easy enough to do the act, but the possible consequences are a lot harder to deal with.  That ends up being one of the reasons why terrorists often fail.  They want to be able to get away afterwards so that they can gloat, and so they over-plan and make things too complicated, or they only make a half-hearted attepts because they don’t want to commit themselves fully and not be able to pull back to safety.  And that’s also why suicide attacks are so very difficult to prevent; the threat of consequences doesn’t deter them at all or make them hesitate.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 November 2007 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Accipiter - 13 November 2007 02:00 AM
Razela - 13 November 2007 01:40 AM

It’s kind of scary how easy it is.  I mean, if I had the right materials I could go out and do it tomorrow. . . .I got to protect our ports, which is sooo much harder than it sounds.  The port security is horrendous.

Heh. . .now you know how I’ve felt sometimes.  “I’m supposed to guard what?  With what???”

There is one great and invaluable advantage that the security people have against terrorists, though:  while it may be not too difficult to do something (and don’t be thinking that it’s really likely to be all that easy, as chance and ill fortune have a habit of complicating such things in ways that never show up beforehand on paper), it’s a whole lot more difficult to do something and get away afterwards.  That’s what stops 99.999% of potential crimes from ever happening; it might be easy enough to do the act, but the possible consequences are a lot harder to deal with.  That ends up being one of the reasons why terrorists often fail.  They want to be able to get away afterwards so that they can gloat, and so they over-plan and make things too complicated, or they only make a half-hearted attepts because they don’t want to commit themselves fully and not be able to pull back to safety.  And that’s also why suicide attacks are so very difficult to prevent; the threat of consequences doesn’t deter them at all or make them hesitate.

Recent terrorists don’t want to get away.

Although if they try ramming Glasgow AIrport againd they may wish to consider it.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 09 December 2007 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2007-12-07

I sometimes think that some common sense on behalf of governments might prevent a lot of terrorist attacks.

Make the Pentagon such a unique and easy-to-recognise-from-the-air shape and put it in lots of movies and of course someone is going to fly into it.

I’m surprised no one has hit the parliament house in Canberra (Australia) yet. Their was a full floor plan of the building on the old 5 dollar notes. Or maybe no one else pays as much attention to Australian currency as i do?

Sits back and waits for ASIO to bust down her door

(I’m one of the rare Australians who knows ASIO exists as well. No one makes movies about them because nothing exciting ever happens to them.)

Signature 

“Whenever somebody says something is impossible, he is usually interupted by someone doing it”

Notice it says ‘he’?

2 of 3