2 of 4
Funny or odd street names in your town.
Posted: 25 October 2007 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17
Renquist - 25 October 2007 03:11 PM

There’s a street in Yorkshire called Whipmawhopmagate. Where you went to whip your wife with birch twigs if she was playing around.

It’s in York itself. I’ve got a photo of me standing next to the street sign from when we were there for our honeymoon - I’ll post it if I can get my scanner working.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 25 October 2007 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Madmouse - 25 October 2007 10:45 PM
Renquist - 25 October 2007 03:11 PM

There’s a street in Yorkshire called Whipmawhopmagate. Where you went to whip your wife with birch twigs if she was playing around.

It’s in York itself. I’ve got a photo of me standing next to the street sign from when we were there for our honeymoon - I’ll post it if I can get my scanner working.

I wondered why you said it was in York until I realised I put ‘Yorkshire’ LOL

No idea why, York’s the only place in Yorkshire I’ve ever been. Saw an escape artist near Whipmawhopmagate. Got out of a straightjacket in 30 seconds. Up a ladder.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 25 October 2007 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-17
Renquist - 25 October 2007 11:27 PM

Saw an escape artist near Whipmawhopmagate. Got out of a straightjacket in 30 seconds. Up a ladder.

How long ago was that? We saw someone do that either two or three years ago. (I forget whether it was when we were on honeymoon or when we went there for the day a year before that.) I bet it’s the same guy.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 25 October 2007 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Madmouse - 25 October 2007 11:31 PM
Renquist - 25 October 2007 11:27 PM

Saw an escape artist near Whipmawhopmagate. Got out of a straightjacket in 30 seconds. Up a ladder.

How long ago was that? We saw someone do that either two or three years ago. (I forget whether it was when we were on honeymoon or when we went there for the day a year before that.) I bet it’s the same guy.

Oh it was 3 or 4 years ago now. He’s probably a permenant fixture.

Street artists (especially magicians) tend to move between 3 or 4 towns to capitalise on seasons (spend the Comedy Festival in Glasgow, next few weeks in St. Andrews, summer in Glasgow and Festival time in Edinburgh, etc.)

I hope it was the same guy. It was pretty awesome.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 25 October 2007 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-17

It was pretty cool. smile
I like seeing people do things like that, that are a bit different from the usual sort of street performance, especially with living in Edinburgh - we get every juggler in the world here in August… rolleyes

Signature 

Research Mod

- The Watchtower

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 25 October 2007 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15030
Joined  2006-08-16

There is a housing community in Las Vegas named after several Star Wars characters.

There is a Buttercup Lane here in Coeur d’Alene.  Everytime I drive by and notice the street sign I think of Prince Humperdink going, “I give you . . . Princess Buttercup,” and chuckle. smile

In Las Vegas, they have a lot of strange street names.  Going off a main street into a housing complex means driving up a street about the length of one plot of land (house and yard) and then turning onto a cross street.  All these very short little streets have to have names even if no one lives on them and they aren’t more than 25 meters long.  With the housing boom in Las Vegas over the last several years this means there are a lot of creative names floating out there.  No specific examples to give off the top of my head, but if you’re bored enough to peruse a map of Las Vegas you’ll find lots of examples.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 25 October 2007 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15030
Joined  2006-08-16
Madmouse - 25 October 2007 11:38 PM

I like seeing people do things like that, that are a bit different from the usual sort of street performance, especially with living in Edinburgh - we get every juggler in the world here in August… rolleyes

So you’ve met Joe?

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 25 October 2007 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-17
Tah - 25 October 2007 11:45 PM

So you’ve met Joe?

I didn’t say I’d met them all, just that they all seem to be here. He’s one I’d like to meet, though. smile

Signature 

Research Mod

- The Watchtower

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 25 October 2007 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Madmouse - 25 October 2007 11:38 PM

Hey, the jugglers are probably the only decent thing at the Festival. The plays are pretentious, the performers are all stuck up art students from England and the musicians are rarely any good and the place is swamped with Londoners who apprectiate the lightbulb that goes on and off in the Tate Gallery.

The street artists and comedians are about the only good thing.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 25 October 2007 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2005-09-23

There is a housing development in Shrewsbury, PA, USA, called “Strawberry Fields” and all the street names are songs from the Beatles or named after the band members. Lennon Lane, Penny Lane, etc.

Posted: 26 October 2007 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

We’ve got a section of town where all the streets are Tolkien-inspired.. Elendil lane, Oakenshield road, etc. Had a friend who lived on Bombadil.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

2 of 4