1 of 1
University celebrates 25th anniversary of
Posted: 19 September 2007 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

It was a serious contribution to the electronic lexicon.

grin

Twenty-five years ago, three keystrokes - a colon followed by a hyphen and a parenthesis - were first used as a horizontal “smiley face” in a computer message by Carnegie Mellon University professor Scott E. Fahlman, the university said.

To mark the anniversary Wednesday, Fahlman and his colleagues are starting an annual student contest for innovation in technology-assisted, person-to-person communication. The Smiley Award, sponsored by Yahoo Inc., carries a $500 cash prize.

Language experts say the smiley face and other so-called emoticons, or emotional icons, have given people a concise way of expressing sentiments in e-mail and other electronic messages that otherwise would be difficult to detect.

Fahlman posted the emoticon in a message to an online electronic bulletin board at 11:44 a.m. on Sept. 19, 1982, during a discussion about the limits of online humor and how to denote comments meant to be taken lightly.

“I propose the following character sequence for joke markers: grin,” wrote Fahlman. “Read it sideways.”

The suggestion gave computer users a way to convey humor or positive feelings with a smile - or the opposite sentiments by reversing the parenthesis to form a frown.

Carnegie Mellon said the smileys spread from its campus to other universities, businesses and eventually around the world as the Internet gained popularity. Variations, such as the “wink” that uses a semicolon, emerged later.

Full Story

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 19 September 2007 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2006-12-12

smile wink LOL

Signature 

You have selected Teh Monochrome as the computer’s default voice.

Posted: 19 September 2007 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5020
Joined  2007-05-26

I love smilie faces, I have them on my guitar, on my school uniform, a keyring one, and I might get an earing pne smilesmile:):):):):)

Signature 

http://namelessland.myminicity.com/
Visit it, or you will be hurt.

Posted: 20 September 2007 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2006-12-12
nameless - 19 September 2007 08:56 PM

I love smilie faces, I have them on my guitar, on my school uniform, a keyring one, and I might get an earing pne smilesmile:):):):):)

pne??? LOL

Signature 

You have selected Teh Monochrome as the computer’s default voice.

Posted: 21 September 2007 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5020
Joined  2007-05-26

one tongue laugh

Signature 

http://namelessland.myminicity.com/
Visit it, or you will be hurt.

Posted: 24 September 2007 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06

So, apparently this was debunked by Snopes. http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/smiley.asp

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 24 September 2007 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I suppose I’ll move it to hoaxes then smile

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 24 September 2007 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

The Snopes story only seems to say that someone used punctuation marks to indicate an emotion previously, but in a different way, not that this guy didn’t start using the : - ) version.

Edit:- That sentence ended up being so much more rambling than I’d meant it to be…
I wanted to quote the relevant part of the Snopes article but I can’t.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

1 of 1

‹‹ The BabyCage      Bigfoot revealed!!! ››