2 of 6
New Forum Manual
Posted: 23 August 2005 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Private Messages (PMs):

To send a PM to somebody, click on the button labeled “PM” under their name.  You can send no more than 50 PMs in any 24 hour period.  Alex the Webmaster has tried to increase this number, but it seems to be stuck on 50 with the current software.

You can only see if you’ve received a PM by logging in.  If you have one waiting for you, then box at the top of the page with the letters “PM” in it will turn green, and beside it you will see how many unread messages you have.

Also, the default setting for this software automatically sends an e-mail to your listed e-mail address every time you receive a PM.  To change this, click on “Your Control Panel” at the top of the page, find “E-mail Settings” on the menu at the left, and then uncheck the box marked “Notify me via email when someone sends me a private message”.

When typing a PM, you can change your font properties (colour, size, italics, etc.).  Attaching pictures or links to other pages won’t work, though.

Sometimes when a PM is sent, it will appear two or three times in the recipient’s inbox.  We have no idea why this happens.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 24 August 2005 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
Accipiter - 23 August 2005 10:24 PM

Logging on and being anonymous:Checking the first one, labeled “Auto-login on future visits?”, will log you in automatically every time you go to any Museum of Hoaxes page until you either log off or turn off your computer.

Also, if you clear you cache files, cookies, or temp. files.  (Some people do this on their own, and some computers are set up to do it automatically every xx days.)

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 29 August 2005 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Not being able to post your comment:

Sometimes when you’ve typed your comment and hit the “Submit Post” button, things don’t work as they should.  There are various possibilities for this.  It could be the “Posting Monster”, which is apparently some little filtering subprogram in the software that won’t let certain comments be posted.  The Posting Monster is rather random and sporadic in its attacks, though shorter comments tend to have this problem more often than longer ones.  So if this happens to you, try adding some more text or a smiley to your comment.  This may also be caused by the server getting overloaded.

Other times, your comment won’t post just because the software does something weird.  In this situation, all you can do is try again.

Sometimes your comment will even be posted twice!  Remember, this Forum’s software is not infallible, and strange inexplicable things will happen.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 04 September 2005 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

To avoid confusion with Off Topic Chit Chat threads, the daily chat threads should only be set up and closed by Moderators.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 06 September 2005 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  374
Joined  2004-04-20

Accipiter, thanks for creating this thread. Just a few clarifications:

Banning Users: Charybdis also has the power to ban users.

Private Messages: I tried to up the limit of private messages that can be sent in a 24 hour period, but no matter what I do the limit seems to stay stuck at around 50. So this seems beyond my control. Maybe it’s a software bug that will be fixed in later versions of the software.

Posting Monster: If the server is getting overloaded, strange things like this can happen. 

Member Levels: There is nothing that exists beyond five-star member. Though I could create levels beyond five-star if people want it. I’m willing to take suggestions. (Adding levels is very easy to do.)

Posted: 06 September 2005 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5071
Joined  2005-03-16

Heh, I’m nearly at 2000 posts - sad really. I think I should get Goddess level Member. wink

(kidding, kidding.)

Thanks for the clarifys, Alex.

Posted: 22 October 2005 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11
Accipiter - 23 August 2005 10:24 PM

Private Messages:

You can only see if you’ve received a PM by loggin in. If you have one, then box at the top of the page with the letters “PM” in it will turn green, and beside it you will see how many unread messages you have.

I dunno how I set it up, but I get an email when I have a PM, otherwise I’d never check it, it’s such a rare occurrence smile

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 23 October 2005 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

Thunder, it’s automatically set up to send emails under your email settings on your control panel.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 23 October 2005 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

ok okay lol.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 25 October 2005 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  180
Joined  2005-10-12

just testing out the forum stuff

Signature 

“No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.”
When humanity forgets the importance of art, art will forget that humanity exists… - Me / 2004

Posted: 31 October 2005 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2005-10-30

And with a new forum a new name!

I was once known to regulars as D F Stuckey, and while I am still I use here my most common internet name as it sums me up quite nicely.

More importantly at present, I make inquiry: How does one get the cool pictures and quotes to be generated in the side column with ones name?

2 of 6

‹‹ Friday, August 5      Sunday Aug 7 ››