1 of 1
Popcorn fumes or the consumption of it?
Posted: 05 September 2007 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

An exert from this article

Rose said the ailing patient, a man whom she wouldn’t identify, consumed “several bags of extra butter-flavoured microwave popcorn” every day for several years.

He described progressively worsening respiratory symptoms of coughing and shortness of breath. Tests found his ability to exhale was deteriorating, Rose said, although his condition seemed to stabilize after he quit using microwave popcorn.

Who would have guessed it. If you eat several bags of buttery popcorn a day, it gets unhealthy. Perhaps his shortness of breath is from his diet more than anything else.
Hopefully this is just a medical investigation and not a precursor to any lawsuit action.

Posted: 05 September 2007 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

The only time I’ve ever coughed after eating popcorn is when I watch a movie from a particular theater nearby.  I think it’s the airconditioning, though I’m also very thirsty after the popcorn too. 

There might be something to enhaling popcorn dust though, just like anything else in excess…..

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 05 September 2007 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

Ummm…

That is an article about interest rates and the Bank of Canada.

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 06 September 2007 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2006-01-01
Transfrmr - 06 September 2007 02:30 AM

Ummm…

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=106&sid=1238504

There, fixed it for you grin

Posted: 06 September 2007 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26
Transfrmr - 06 September 2007 02:30 AM

Ummm…

What the…?
I swear I checked that, sorry. Corrected now.
But, it’s also the quirky article of the day, and I heard DJs on my local radio even mentioning it as a part of ‘fun things I can no longer do’ sort of joke.
They’re all quoting the exact same source, so if you wanted to fake this one, you could quite easily.

Posted: 06 September 2007 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

Thanks Aussiebruce, although I did find that other article quite informative wink

I eat popcorn maybe twice a year, and it’s never the microwave variety. I might have Jiffy Pop if I’m camping, but it you’re going to be eating popcorn, it should be popped the good old fashioned way imho. I will, however remember to hold my breath when waiting in line for nachos at the movie theater grin

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 06 September 2007 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I love Jiffy Pop smile

Until I moved up here, that was the only popcorn I had because I never had a microwave (evil things). I had a gas range, so it was easy and fun to make on my stove LOL

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

1 of 1