1 of 1
Britain: Prozac ‘found in drinking water’
Posted: 05 September 2007 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Traces of the antidepressant Prozac can be found in the nation’s drinking water, it has been revealed.
An Environment Agency report suggests so many people are taking the drug nowadays it is building up in rivers and groundwater.
A report in Sunday’s Observer says the government’s environment watchdog has discussed the impact for human health.
A spokesman for the Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) said the Prozac found was most likely highly diluted.
The newspaper says environmentalists are calling for an urgent investigation into the evidence.
It quotes the Liberal Democrats’ environment spokesman, Norman Baker MP, as saying the picture emerging looked like “a case of hidden mass medication upon the unsuspecting public”.
He says: “It is alarming that there is no monitoring of levels of Prozac and other pharmacy residues in our drinking water.”

Experts say the anti-depression drug gets into the rivers and water system via treated sewage water.

The DWI said the Prozac (known technically as fluoxetine) was unlikely to pose a health risk as it was so “watered down”.
The Observer says the revelations raise new fears over how many prescriptions for the drug are given out by doctors.
In the decade leading up to 2001, the number of prescriptions for antidepressants went up from nine million per year to 24 million per year, says the paper.
The Environment Agency report concluded that the Prozac in the water table could be potentially toxic and said the drug was a “potential concern”.
The exact amount of Prozac in the nation’s drinking water is not known.

[alufoil]
They say it is from human waste, but of course it is they who put it in.
[/alufoil]

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 05 September 2007 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Well could they up the dose a bit, please? It’s not working!

Posted: 05 September 2007 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Antidepressives and lots of alcohol really do not go together well, so the Brits have a problem there….

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 05 September 2007 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

Not really, while we’re boozing, we’re not drinking the water anyway.

Posted: 05 September 2007 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15
LaMa - 05 September 2007 01:27 PM

Antidepressives and lots of alcohol really do not go together well, so the Brits have a problem there….

Listen here. We Aussies are the real alcoholics. We’ll beat those Brits at anything.

With George Bush in Sydney right now they could use some of that water there.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 06 September 2007 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
David B. - 05 September 2007 11:29 AM

Well could they up the dose a bit, please? It’s not working!

It’s a homeopathic preparation in the water supply. 

If it’s measurable, it’s at least more concentrated than 24X.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 06 September 2007 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Peter - 06 September 2007 01:14 AM
LaMa - 05 September 2007 01:27 PM

Listen here. We Aussies are the real alcoholics. We’ll beat those Brits at anything.

With George Bush in Sydney right now they could use some of that water there.

Pffft Scots can drink Aussies under the table for breakfast.

Probably can’t do an awful lot else for the rest of the day but that’s breakfast sorted.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 07 September 2007 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

Well the Aussies have one advantage. Their beer’s so close to water anyway that it doesn’t interfere with the Prozac!

Posted: 07 September 2007 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
David B. - 07 September 2007 09:55 AM

Well the Aussies have one advantage. Their beer’s so close to water anyway that it doesn’t interfere with the Prozac!

LOL

Like sex in a canoe? F***ing too close to water.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 07 September 2007 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2005-09-11

Prozac in the drinking water? Did you know that small dozes over time of these so-called “new anti-depressants” can decrease the libido of both sexes to the point where you no longer want to have sex at all? This might be a cunning scheme to make us die out from seemingly natural causes!

I strongly suspect that the Romulans are behind this!

Signature 

This is the internet, where men are men, women are men, and little girls are FBI agents.

“Do you expect me to talk?”
“No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die!”

Some people are like slinkies: They don’t really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posted: 07 September 2007 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

You mean… the pope is actually right with his non-condom sex?

*confused as hell*

Image Attachments
thanksForTheHelp.gif
 Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 09 April 2008 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-04-09

I know there are a couple books written about this topic, but is anyone familiar with the theory of LSD being put into Japan’s water supply post ww2?

1 of 1