1 of 1
Woman Dies Of Heart Attack In Presence Of 25,000 Cardiologists
Posted: 04 September 2007 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

In what could be termed as one of medical history’s tragic ironies, a 46-year old Italian cardiologist has died of a heart attack in the presence of nearly 25,000 doctors at an international cardiology meeting in Vienna.

The woman died late Sunday evening after collapsing at the annual meeting of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) taking place in the Austrian capital from September 1 to 5.

Though the woman, whose name has not yet been revealed, was immediately flown into Vienna’s general hospital for treatment, her condition remained critical.

She died late on Sunday evening due to congenital malformation of the heart, chief medic Reinhard Krepler told the Austrian Press.

The ESC Congress provides a wealth of scientific and educational information on all fields of cardiology. It is one of the largest medical congresses in Europe.

Source and another source.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 04 September 2007 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Gosh, that’d be kinda embarrassing…

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 04 September 2007 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15030
Joined  2006-08-16

Well obviously they did what they could for her given the circumstances.  Just because they’re cardiologists doesn’t mean they can treat, cure and save every person with a heart problem.  Sometimes there is nothing you can do as a patient or a doctor no matter how early something is caught.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 04 September 2007 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

If they were at a conference center, there would not be the equipment to help this person.  If there was medical equipment like in a hospital or even a nursing home, this woman may have been saved.  Keep in mind also there are conditions that a person can live with for years and not be detected until it actually hurts or is fatal.  If something is not bothering you or does not hurt, diagnosis may not be done because Why?  Why go though a bunch of expensive tests that insurance may or not pay for if nothing seems to be wrong?  Unfortunely people die due to this.  I read an article that in Italy pro athletes have to go thru extensive heart testing as part of being an athlete.  Ok off soapbox.  I’ll stop now

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 04 September 2007 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2005-09-11

Twentyfive thousand cardiologists must be a typo; it would be an event like Woodstock or something! More likely 250

Signature 

This is the internet, where men are men, women are men, and little girls are FBI agents.

“Do you expect me to talk?”
“No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die!”

Some people are like slinkies: They don’t really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posted: 05 September 2007 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27
eovti - 05 September 2007 03:09 AM

Twentyfive thousand cardiologists must be a typo; it would be an event like Woodstock or something! More likely 250

No typo mate:

Looking ahead to 2007 and beyond, four large conferences stand out. Following its resounding success in Vienna in 2003, the Congress of the European Society of Cardiology is returning in 2007 with an anticipated attendance of 29,000.

Source

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 06 September 2007 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

“IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE?”

*Hands*

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 07 September 2007 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah.. says ‘congenital malformation of the heart’, which says to me that even with all that experience, there wouldn’t be much they could do…

I seem to recall something a while back about someone drowning at a lifeguard convention?

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

1 of 1