RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

TIME TRAVEL

Time Travel Machine Outlined

Charles Q. Choi
Special to LiveScience
LiveScience.com Mon Aug 20, 11:55 AM ET

A new concept for a time machine could possibly enable distant future generations to travel into the past, research now suggests.

Unlike past ideas for time machines, this new concept does not require exotic, theoretical forms of matter. Still, this new idea requires technology far more advanced than anything existing today, and major questions remain as to whether any time machine would ever prove stable enough to enable actual travel back in time.

Time machine researchers often investigate gravity, which essentially arises when matter bends space and time. Time travel research is based on bending space-time so far that time lines actually turn back on themselves to form a loop, technically known as a “closed time-like curve.”

“We know that bending does happen all the time, but we want the bending to be strong enough and to take a special form where the lines of time make closed loops,” said theoretical physicist Amos Ori at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa. “We are trying to find out if it is possible to manipulate space-time to develop in such a way.”

Many scientists are skeptical as to whether or not time travel is possible. For instance, time machines often are thought to need an exotic form of matter with so-called “negative energy density.” Such exotic matter has bizarre properties, including moving in the opposite direction of normal matter when pushed. Such matter could theoretically exist, but if it did, it might be present only in quantities too small for the construction of a time machine.

Ori’s latest research suggests time machines are possible without exotic matter, eliminating a barrier to time travel. His work begins with a donut-shaped hole enveloped within a sphere of normal matter.

“We’re talking about these closed loops of time, and the simplest kind of closed loops are circles, which is why we have this ring-shaped hole,” Ori explained.

Inside this donut-shaped vacuum, space-time could get bent upon itself using focused gravitational fields to form a closed time-like curve. To go back in time, a traveler would race around inside the donut, going further back into the past with each lap.

“The machine is space-time itself,” Ori said. “If we were to create an area with a warp like this in space that would enable time lines to close on themselves, it might enable future generations to return to visit our time.”

Ori emphasized one significant limitation of this time machine

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 21 August 2007 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

But, would you be able to go back and change anything, OR would you not even be aware that you’d come back at all?

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 21 August 2007 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

Interesting theory.  I’m not holding my breath though.  Be nice to go back and change a few things though.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 21 August 2007 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

Well, they say that if this theory held true you couldn’t travel back to any time before the machine was built. Considering it’s not built yet, anything before today and into the future up until it is completed is out of the question. Makes sense since the way you travel back is to spin inside the machine. If you spin too far, the machine no longer exists and you’re stranded one day before it was built. I suppose it’s not so bad since you’ll likely not have to wait long for it to be built, but whether you could travel into the future beyond where you started as well would be interesting.

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 22 August 2007 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2892
Joined  2005-06-15
Transfrmr - 22 August 2007 03:41 AM

Well, they say that if this theory held true you couldn’t travel back to any time before the machine was built. Considering it’s not built yet, anything before today and into the future up until it is completed is out of the question.

That must be why we don’t see a “population explosion of time travellers”. I did read somewhere that if time travel were possible it would lead to an explosive growth of time machines appearing on the face of the earth as people from the future kept travelling back and forth and so on.

At least if they are limited to travelling in times when the machine is built it will be their own problem to deal with multiple instances of the same time travellers popping out of the machine at different periods of it’s existance. Would these time travellers keep bumping into themselves as they travel back and forth in the machine? Would they need to establish inter-dimensional housing for the multiple copies of themselves? Would “feeling yourself” take on a whole new meaning?

I keep thinking of Austen Powers and “himself from 10 minutes ago”.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 22 August 2007 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Peter, I’m dizzy AND horrified….

What if…....

those things people keep seeing in the sky are really ‘time machines’????  ooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOO

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2007 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07
hulitoons - 22 August 2007 11:38 AM

What if…....

those things people keep seeing in the sky are really ‘time machines’????  ooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOO

I don’t think that’s likely Huli. If there were time machines all along (or at least since the 70’s when UFO reports really surged) then somebody would have gona back and fixed the last Presidential elections in the U.S. for sure!

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 22 August 2007 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Transfrmr - 22 August 2007 01:10 PM

What if…....

I don’t think that’s likely Huli. If there were time machines all along (or at least since the 70’s when UFO reports really surged) then somebody would have gona back and fixed the last Presidential elections in the U.S. for sure!

What if they already did?

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 22 August 2007 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
Renquist - 22 August 2007 02:40 PM

What if…....

oh lordy

now I’m really terrified!

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2007 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2892
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 22 August 2007 03:13 PM
Renquist - 22 August 2007 02:40 PM

What if…....

oh lordy

now I’m really terrified!

What? You mean some guy in 60s gear travelled back in time to the last US Presidential election to have the US run buy some idiot who can’t even read a children’s book the right way up?

I think that’s too far fetched.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 30 August 2007 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2007-08-29

I, for one, do not believe that one can actualy “Travel back”  in time, but more less “view” the past….for example, very simply, we can see distant stars that are of course lightyears away, but if you were to travel to that exact destination, even within a second, you might find that the star isn’t even there…..We can only view it from our present location but could never physically touch. The matter no longer exist, only the light that had once reflected from the object itself. So, in other words, you may be able to travel back into time, but you would only be able to view from a distance, and what you view will be based on where you are standing at that moment, but then the light has to be able to be manipulated like a dvd player, because you would have to speed up and slow down the light depending on what “Time” you would like to see….and this would need to be viewed by some type of “Light Telescope” ......but that will narrow your vision on what is being seen….so in turn, if you were incased in some type of “Bubble Telescope”, you could see at all angles around you….just my opinion…..but what do I know….Im from Texas…...

Posted: 30 August 2007 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Well, that’s as good a theory as any. 

Seeing into the past as far as heavenly objects are concerned is because it takes so many years for light from that area to finally reach us visually.  That would be very different from past objects that existed in the very space we now walk and stand upon.  Light speed should not be involved (not in the same way) in that kind of travel. 

I believe you may be very right that all we could do really is ‘view’ past time lines in the same way we do the stars.

Signature 

1 of 2