3 of 3
Skype outage last week induced by modifications for new US spying law?
Posted: 22 August 2007 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06

I mean, um, I mean it was totally the evil FBI project Magic Lantern.

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 26 August 2007 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

New Twist

Skype discovered to reads passwords

The Linux (!) version of Skype has been discovered to read files including passwords, plugins, add-ons of Firefox

Things it does not need to function at all…

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 26 August 2007 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07
LaMa - 26 August 2007 10:53 PM

New Twist

Skype discovered to reads passwords

The Linux (!) version of Skype has been discovered to read files including passwords, plugins, add-ons of Firefox

Things it does not need to function at all…

Sorry Lama, I have to dissagree. There is really nothing of relevance stored in the etc/passwd directory anymore, and hasn’t been for quite some time. As you read through the thread, they also realize this, and that lots of other programs also access the folder routinely. Not really a big worry. Saying that Skype is reading passwords is going a little far. Passwords are stored elsewhere and that folder does not show up on the list.

You can read the discussion being held about it on Slashdot here as they have concluded, acessing etc/passwd is not a concern and has been overblown.

Now acessing the Mozilla directory is a little bit stranger, until you read down to where it could be looking for a Firefox plugin. That would make sense if there is indeed a Firefox plugin for Skype under Linux, which there isn’t. UNLESS they know that one will be coming out (which they would since the developer would likely be in touch with them, OR they are the developers).

I don’t use Skype anyways, never really felt the need to. My VoIP phone service costs as much as regular phone service would, and gives me free international calling. If I’m on the road, then Yahoo has a VoIP interface that does the trick for 1cent a minute. I’ve always been of the mind that you have no privacy whatsoever when using anything free.

I hope that Skype does explain the checking of the Mozilla directories, but wouldn’t worry too much about it. Like someone in the thread said, unless you’re doing something you’re not supposed to, nobody is going to be interested in snooping on your conversations with your grandmother wink

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 27 August 2007 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Dammit Transfrmr, don’t spoil my conspiracies by letting the facts get into the way!  tongue wink

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 27 August 2007 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07
LaMa - 27 August 2007 10:43 AM

Dammit Transfrmr, don’t spoil my conspiracies by letting the facts get into the way!  tongue wink

Sorry LaMa downer

I retract my previous post*. Beware the password-stealing, Mozilla hacking, privacy killing Skype!

*Retraction is conditional on 1Million Euros apearing in my bank account before 8/28/2007.

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 27 August 2007 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06

Heehee

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

3 of 3