2 of 3
Skype outage last week induced by modifications for new US spying law?
Posted: 20 August 2007 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06

This reminds me of the phrase, “Never attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence.”

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 20 August 2007 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10

So the US government passes legislation that gives them permission to intercept certain forms of communication and two weeks later Skype is installing the software? I don’t think so. How long does it take to plan, code, debug, test and approve a major change to your product that it was never intended to have? Longer than two weeks I’m sure. Not only that, I’m sure a company would be putting up a little bit of a fight before caving in. Many of their employees would also have to know about it and they would be spreading the word too.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 20 August 2007 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Captain Al - 20 August 2007 09:10 PM

So the US government passes legislation that gives them permission to intercept certain forms of communication and two weeks later Skype is installing the software? I don’t think so. How long does it take to plan, code, debug, test and approve a major change to your product that it was never intended to have? Longer than two weeks I’m sure. Not only that, I’m sure a company would be putting up a little bit of a fight before caving in. Many of their employees would also have to know about it and they would be spreading the word too.

Ah-hawink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 20 August 2007 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10
Accipiter - 20 August 2007 11:58 PM

Ah-hawink

Debugging and testing are usually done offline.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 21 August 2007 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

That is if they followed any sort of dev. protocol. I wonder if it is a really elaborate plot. Some people think they were putting in a back door because it went down, but others think that it’s way to obvious to really be what they were doing. Maybe ther foresaw that and calculated that those who thought it was way too obvious would outnumber those who really believed that was what they were doing?

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 21 August 2007 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15030
Joined  2006-08-16

Or maybe the government has had control and access all the time anyway so it doesn’t matter.  But when the law got passed they planned this in a short time so it would look too obvious.  And then when there were no further problems in a more timely manner everyone would forget about it.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 21 August 2007 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

First: my personal jury is still out on this topic. I do not accept neither reject the option that this is what happened. What I do know however, is that I really have my doubts about the reasoning given by Skype, i.e. the cause being the rebooting of too many PC’s at once after the monthly Microsoft patch day. So, what do they want to cover then? One other option is that this was due to a deliberate DoS attack after all.

About what you write:

- There is no reason why work on it shouldn’t have been done already for some time before formal acceptance of this new law;

- Being owned by eBay, a US company, they are obliged to compel by law to cooperate, just as with normal taps on telephone by the FBI etc.;

- Things similar to this have remained hidden for some time before, nothwithstanding employees having to have been involved. For example, the dots secretly embedded on printed documents by certain printer brands to aid fingerprinting letters etc. to a specific printer. That had gone on for several years before it came to the open. Employees of the firms involved had to know that too, and they stayed silent.

- You don’t need many people involved to ad a component to software. It may involve only one or two. Most software today is modular, with different developers working on different parts.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 21 August 2007 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

On slashdot, several commenters are now pointing to the fact that the outage took place on Thursday the 16th, while Microsoft’s monthly patch day is on Tuesday the 14th.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 21 August 2007 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

A new law isn

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 21 August 2007 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06
LaMa - 21 August 2007 08:34 AM

First: my personal jury is still out on this topic. I do not accept neither reject the option that this is what happened. What I do know however, is that I really have my doubts about the reasoning given by Skype, i.e. the cause being the rebooting of too many PC’s at once after the monthly Microsoft patch day. So, what do they want to cover then? One other option is that this was due to a deliberate DoS attack after all.

Well, just because the company is lying about why there was a period of no service doesn’t imply that it’s some kind of government conspiracy or something.

The company is trying to save face and keep customers. And they blame Microsoft (a popular target).

I really think we need more information before we start blaming this on the Government.

(LaMa, I’m just adding to your thoughts, not arguing against what you said or anything.)

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 22 August 2007 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

Well, just because the company is lying about why there was a period of no service doesn

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

2 of 3