1 of 3
Skype outage last week induced by modifications for new US spying law?
Posted: 19 August 2007 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Blogger who claims that the massive worldwide Skype outage last week occurred because an attempt to install a US government backdoor for eavesdropping on Skype conversations, related to the new “Protect America Act” (legislated 2 weeks ago), went wrong:

http://mathaba.net/0_index.shtml?x=561193

(found through Slashdot)

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 19 August 2007 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

So how come that Voipbuster wasn

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 19 August 2007 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

———
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 19 August 2007 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

Anyone else reminded even just a tad of a book written by George Orwell?

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 20 August 2007 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

From a BBC news item: Skype issues apology for ‘outage’

Skype said the ongoing disruption was caused by a network software upgrade that went awry.

software upgrade….[conspiracy]with an eavesdropping backdoor? [/conspiracy]

Signature 

———

Posted: 20 August 2007 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
Transfrmr - 20 August 2007 01:52 AM

This kind of latest US legislation does go a tad into the direction of 1984, yes…. Big Bush is Watching You (or listening in, that is…)

That new legislation approved gives your government unprecedented power to invade their civilians privacy and listen in to anything and anyone they want.

Signature 

———

Posted: 20 August 2007 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07
LaMa - 20 August 2007 12:39 PM

This kind of latest US legislation does go a tad into the direction of 1994, yes…. Big Bush is Watching You (or listening in, that is…)

That new legislation approved gives your government unprecedented power to invade their civilians privacy and listen in to anything and anyone they want.

1994? Did he write a sequel that I missed? LOL

I actually kind of wish he had…

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 20 August 2007 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
Transfrmr - 20 August 2007 01:59 PM
LaMa - 20 August 2007 12:39 PM

This kind of latest US legislation does go a tad into the direction of 1994, yes…. Big Bush is Watching You (or listening in, that is…)

1994? Did he write a sequel that I missed? LOL

I actually kind of wish he had…

Oopsssssss….......

Signature 

———

Posted: 20 August 2007 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Okay, the news item text has changed. It now says:

In a statement posted on its website, Skype said the widespread outage began after subscribers’ computers around the world re-started following a security software upgrade issued by Microsoft.

I have my doubts about this. Skype should blast out during every monthly patch day then.

added edit: Skype’s own statement.

Signature 

———

Posted: 20 August 2007 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

In every timezone every morning gazillions of people log in more or less at the same time around 9am and never produced a DOS-like collapse.
So it

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 20 August 2007 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Exactly. That was what I was thinking. I don’t believe at all that Window’s auto-update function would make millions of people update and reconnect at the same moment. It just doesn’t work that way.

Signature 

———

Posted: 20 August 2007 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14
LaMa - 20 August 2007 07:10 PM

Exactly. That was what I was thinking. I don’t believe at all that Window’s auto-update function would make millions of people update and reconnect at the same moment. It just doesn’t work that way.

Considering that most people I know don’t even ahve the autoupdates enabled because they don’t know how..  It doesn’t make sense to me either.  I’m going with the software upgrade scenario.  Not sure whose software but it makes more sense than millions of people rebooting at the same time.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

1 of 3