We Have Broken Speed Of Light
Posted: 17 August 2007 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Lemmy!!! LOL

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 17 August 2007 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

There were tests done a couple of years ago where scientists caused waves in a tube to travel faster than the speed of light.  Now keep in mind that the photons, electrons (I can’t remember) themselves were not travelling that fast.  It was only the wavefront that breached the speed of light.  That doesn’t imply that physical objects such as electrons or photons could do it which would make it a different scenario than the one described above.  I guess they were just the medium necessary to propogate the waves.  I’ll have to dig back and see if I can find that article.  hmmmmmmmm

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 17 August 2007 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

It should be pointed out that the ‘speed of light’ USUALLY means ‘the speed of light in a vacuum’, as light passing through other, denser materials will slow noticably. It’s why lenses work.

It *is* possible for somethign to travel faster than the speed of light as given the local .. ah.. perma-something.. forget the technical term. Kherenkov radiation, that nice blue glow that radioactive fuel rods get when you dunk them in water is caused by energy coming off the rods at a speed that is faster than light (in water).

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 17 August 2007 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-14

It’s all relative.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 18 August 2007 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5020
Joined  2007-05-26

Well, nothing in impassible, improbable to us, yes, but not impassible.

Signature 

http://namelessland.myminicity.com/
Visit it, or you will be hurt.

Posted: 18 August 2007 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-14

Shouldn’t that be ‘impossible’??

Signature 

My blog
My Website

Posted: 18 August 2007 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07
gray - 18 August 2007 10:10 PM

Shouldn’t that be ‘impossible’??

Not necessarily. If the speed of light cannot be broken, then you could say that it is impassible.

Were the speed of light a car on a highway, and you could not go faster than it, it would indeed be impassible tongue laugh

The important question here is whether the speed of light is a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, and what color…

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 18 August 2007 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-14

The only color you would be able to see would be the red of its tail lights.

Signature 

My blog
My Website

Posted: 20 August 2007 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Or the red of its headlights if it’s driving backwards.

On the subject of such cars, today I saw a chartreuse Lamborghini.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

2 of 2