3 of 4
3
Man says hold the cheese, claims McDonald’s didn’t, sues for $10 million
Posted: 14 August 2007 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Five Star Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07
Renquist - 14 August 2007 05:12 PM

The coffee deal was when they gave her coffee far too hot to drink without warning her and she got third degree burns all over her lady garden.

This guy’s just a dick.

Yes, but coffee is usually hot, and is usually served right after boiling the water and runnign it through the grounds. She also spilled the coffee herself while driving. I would argue that it is similar in the way that the person should have been responsible to verify the condition of the item and protect themselves to a certain extent. What was the result? Warnings that coffee is hot printed on all coffee cups everywhere, further supporting the dumbening of the youth of today by pointing out the blatantly obvious. I saw all the court results tha the coffee was hotter than standard etc. Still to me, when ordering a hot beverage that is traditionally prepared that way, there is an onus of responsibility to be assumed by the orderee.

My parents always taught me to check how hot a hot beverage truly is before drinking it, and to be careful because if I spill it it might burn me…

 Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Profile
 
 
Posted: 14 August 2007 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Transfrmr - 14 August 2007 05:17 PM
Renquist - 14 August 2007 05:12 PM

The coffee deal was when they gave her coffee far too hot to drink without warning her and she got third degree burns all over her lady garden.

This guy’s just a dick.

Yes, but coffee is usually hot, and is usually served right after boiling the water and runnign it through the grounds. She also spilled the coffee herself while driving. I would argue that it is similar in the way that the person should have been responsible to verify the condition of the item and protect themselves to a certain extent. What was the result? Warnings that coffee is hot printed on all coffee cups everywhere, further supporting the dumbening of the youth of today by pointing out the blatantly obvious. I saw all the court results tha the coffee was hotter than standard etc. Still to me, when ordering a hot beverage that is traditionally prepared that way, there is an onus of responsibility to be assumed by the orderee.

My parents always taught me to check how hot a hot beverage truly is before drinking it, and to be careful because if I spill it it might burn me…

The medical experts in that case concluded that if she’d managed to drink any she’d have seriously damaged her mouth and throat. Not just a burned tongue- we’re talking literally scalding water here. Most coffee from fast food restaurants isn’t boiling hot when it’s served. I remember once a badly made cup fell apart in my f***ing hand in Burger King as I was serving it to someone. I didn’t get 3rd degree burns and it was right out the machine.

People expect to be able to drink it immediately. It was unreasonable for it to be scalding.

Like I say, this guy’s being a wanker.

 Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Profile
 
 
Posted: 14 August 2007 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

Well, I will agree to disagree smile The coffee might have been unusually hot, but I never expect to be able to drink hot coffee right away. It usually sits for at least a few minutes first to cool down. I worked in a restaurant for many a year and trust me, if I had poured the coffee from the pot over my hand, I would have suffered a burn. Coffee also tastes different when you use different temperature waters. I prefer coffee brewed with the hottest of waters, it has a bolder, richer flavor for the came amount of grounds.

In the case of the guy, I agree that there’s a 95% probability that he is indeed a wanker. The other 5% is to allow for the possibility that he is simply a tool instead wink

 Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Profile
 
 
Posted: 14 August 2007 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Transfrmr - 14 August 2007 05:32 PM

Well, I will agree to disagree smile The coffee might have been unusually hot, but I never expect to be able to drink hot coffee right away. It usually sits for at least a few minutes first to cool down. I worked in a restaurant for many a year and trust me, if I had poured the coffee from the pot over my hand, I would have suffered a burn. Coffee also tastes different when you use different temperature waters. I prefer coffee brewed with the hottest of waters, it has a bolder, richer flavor for the came amount of grounds.

In the case of the guy, I agree that there’s a 95% probability that he is indeed a wanker. The other 5% is to allow for the possibility that he is simply a tool instead wink

Trust me, in a fast food place they expect it to be drinkable ASAP.

 Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Profile
 
 
Posted: 14 August 2007 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3214
Joined  2007-05-18

I believe in the coffee case it was proved that McDonald’s at the time (at least this particular McDonald’s) actually kept its coffee many degrees hotter than even the typical fast-food restaurant—I can’t remember the exact number, but it was a lot hotter, maybe as much as 20 degrees. So if she was expecting, say Burger King’s temp and got McDonalds’ temp, well, she had a big shock.

Also, If I remember correctly, originally the lady who made the complaint asked only for McDonald’s to pay her medical expenses (which were pretty high, what with several skin grafts and so on), and McDonald’s turned her down flat. Maybe that’s why they made the offer so quickly in this case.

Profile
 
 
Posted: 14 August 2007 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26043
Joined  2004-11-08

I’m allergic to wool.  I wonder how I can turn this to my advantage by screwing corporate America.

*plans Walmart trip*

 Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Profile
 
 
Posted: 14 August 2007 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Senior Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  421
Joined  2006-05-29

I have a slight reaction with uncooked tomatoes (mostly the peel). Makes my lips tingle and the roof of my mouth burn for half a day. Rather unfortunate since tomatoes are among my favorite vegetables. downer Cooked or processed they are fine as long as I don’t eat too much (gives problems on the other side)

So every time I order a (cheese) sandwich, I just ask ‘no tomatoes please’. But more than half the time: still tomatoes. So, even though I’m not deadly allergic, I still check every time, and remove them (or the peel) if there are any, to avoid the discomfort.

The only way I see this could have happened to this guy is either because this is the first time ever he has ordered food or just that he’s an utter fool (and a would-be contestant for a Darwin Award).

My opinion? He just did it for the money.

 Signature 

-Paranoid amnesiac: I keep forgetting they’re after me-
Vanquished Illusions and Desire wear Techno-Organic Wings

Profile
 
 
Posted: 14 August 2007 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Five Star Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

I’m also Allegic to tomatoes (well my taste buds are, I can’t stand the things)


My main real allegies:

I’m allegic to peanuts, but I also love them and so long as I keep my intake low I’m fine

I’m allegic to corn and as corn is used as a sweetener in virtually everything over here, I have to be careful although again, as long as I limit my intake I’m fine.

I’m allegic to asperin, (causes swelling - which a could be useful if it didn’t also cause numbing)

 Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Profile
 
 
Posted: 14 August 2007 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15032
Joined  2006-08-16
Transfrmr - 14 August 2007 05:02 PM

This kind of thing makes me sick. There should be a way for the government to sue people for frivolous lawsuits, or a corporate mediation process that avoids court alltogether when it really isn’t a legal issue.

I don’t have the availability at the moment to research this, but I remember an article online several years ago from Italy.  Apparently in Italy there is a law that civil lawsuits have a waiting period of something like seven years before they even start the process in court.  This is to help keep frivilous lawsuits from being made.

This came to light (where I read about it) when a man was terminally ill.  He had less than a year to live.  He had gotten a life insurance policy years before that allowed him to collect the money before he died if he became terminal.  But the insurance company wasn’t paying him.  He wanted to sue, but the suit wouldn’t even be in court before he had died.  So he was appealing to the courts to speed up the process for him.  (This is from memory so some parts might not be exactly right, but it’s close enough for the purpose here.)

 Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Profile
 
 
Posted: 14 August 2007 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Five Star Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

...

 Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Profile
 
 
Posted: 14 August 2007 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Five Star Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Tah - 14 August 2007 10:05 PM
Transfrmr - 14 August 2007 05:02 PM

This kind of thing makes me sick. There should be a way for the government to sue people for frivolous lawsuits, or a corporate mediation process that avoids court alltogether when it really isn’t a legal issue.

I don’t have the availability at the moment to research this, but I remember an article online several years ago from Italy.  Apparently in Italy there is a law that civil lawsuits have a waiting period of something like seven years before they even start the process in court.  This is to help keep frivilous lawsuits from being made.

This came to light (where I read about it) when a man was terminally ill.  He had less than a year to live.  He had gotten a life insurance policy years before that allowed him to collect the money before he died if he became terminal.  But the insurance company wasn’t paying him.  He wanted to sue, but the suit wouldn’t even be in court before he had died.  So he was appealing to the courts to speed up the process for him.  (This is from memory so some parts might not be exactly right, but it’s close enough for the purpose here.)

That’s insanity. Although I wouldn’t put it past the incredible ability of the Italians to screw up any for of organisation.

Here there’s a time limit on most civil cases- if you don’t bring the matter to court within a year in certain cases (like small claims for instance) then you can’t ever.

 Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Profile
 
 
   
3 of 4
3