1 of 1
Newspaper posting pictures asking if they are fake
Posted: 13 August 2007 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

Here is something kinda new. News.com is posting a series of pictures asking if they are fake.
It seems obvious that they are, as the article text seems to clearly say.
So, why did they post the article? Are they that hard up for news that they just publish photoshopped pictures these days? Isnt that setting a dangerous precedent?

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22235665-2,00.html

WE received these photos in an email yesterday and perhaps you’ve seen them too.
The sequence apparently shows a woman sitting on the tracks at Sandgate station near Newcastle in NSW and then being hit by a train.
A NSW State Rail spokesman told NEWS.com.au he believed the pictures had been “Photoshopped

Posted: 13 August 2007 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

It is going in reverse. The blind on the train is a biig indicator- if this was real you’d be able to see the driver.

If it was real you’d probably see him leaning out the window screaming abuse actually. Especially in Newcastle.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 13 August 2007 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Not Newcastle, NSW (ie, Australia)...

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 13 August 2007 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23

The sequence apparently shows a woman sitting on the tracks at Sandgate station near Newcastle in NSW and then being hit by a train.

Newcastle tongue wink

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 13 August 2007 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I hadn’t read the article in its entirety before taking the images and overlapping them.  In the last two pictures, I lined up the train’s numbers at the front which aligned neatly the height of the man AND woman, however, are too small compared to the second of the last two images even though everything else is lined up.

Image Attachments
train5.jpg
 Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 13 August 2007 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

I have no real doubt that the pictures are fake, especially the last one.
I’m just wondering why a newspaper would want to publish them? This isnt someones joke blog page or a Worth 1000 article - it’s meant to potentially be serious news.
Or perhaps this is it - this is the day that I realise that I might as well read blog pages, as they contain as much real world fact as professional journalists can provide.

Posted: 13 August 2007 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, I suppose that they could be reporting on the fake pictures making the rounds.  So it’s a serious news article about something that’s fake.  Maybe.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 August 2007 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Actually, Acci is right.  Hoaxes given to the media, especially those that are alarming to families (of the person(s) depicted) can cause real harm one way or the other.  If it’s a hoax then the perpetrators need to be harnessed in.  If it isn’t, then where’s the body?  Why wasn’t it reported?  Was it suicide, murder? etc. 

SO, anything given to the media or authorities has to be investigated whether or not they ‘think’ it’s a hoax.  To do otherwise would be negligence.  In this case, perhaps the photos were all they have to go on. 

I remember a very long time ago a young woman was taken to a hospital where she died within moments of arrival.  There were no identifying papers so she was simply a Jane Doe.  No one had reported her missing that the authorities could ascertain so before her body was released to the morticians, they opened her eyes enough an took photos that they hoped someone, somewhere might be able to identify. 

The photos had to be released to a wider media berth in order to hopefully reach family across the nation.  I remember thinking how very beautiful this young lady had been.  It was heart rending. 

For as morbid, or unconventional the method had been, it had also been the best chance they had.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 13 August 2007 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23

Actually I think Acci means that the purpose of showing them in the paper isn’t to ask “Does anyone know if this is real and this girl really did this?” but to say “Look, if you get shown these pictures, they’re fake. Don’t lose sleep over them.”

There’s plenty of incidents where faked photos have caused serious trouble if not mass hysteria so debunking them is a good job.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 14 August 2007 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2006-07-31

In the last pic the womans bosy looks really out of place. Like it doesnt belong in the photo. I have no doubt that it is fake. Plus, wouldnt there be blood if she was hit by a train?

Signature 

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste very good with ketchup.

Do not enter a battle of wits unarmed.

NEVER play leapfrog with a unicorn.

1 of 1